IGNORED

10 games...

Manon

Well there it is, the 10 game mark which LJ so often talks about (nabbed that from his old man to be fair). 

So now that we are able to make a fair and balanced review... What do we all think about 5 th after 10?

Will we stay up there come may, or will it prove to be a bright start which inevitably will fade? Or is there even more to come with an auto push?

Personally fwiw i think it is an accurate barometer and we are on course to stay more or less where we are, finishing very close to the play off cut. 

Form and fitness are hard to predict (both for ourselves and everyone else) but what I would say is I think we are where are so far on merit and I think it's well deserved and testament to great work by the board, manager, coaching staff and players.  I don't know if we'll stay where we are but I do think we've now got a very good team who play some great football and I don't think there are many teams in the Championship who'll look forward to playing us.

Delighted to be up in 5th, don't like to be a party pooper.....but:

Of the teams currently occupying the top 10 places in the league, we've played only three of them, and lost all three of those games. Norwich, Newcastle and Wednesday. 

Once we've played the likes of Reading, Brentford and Birmingham we will have a better idea of how we match up for the play offs.

Current form sees us very comfortable though, which is fine by me!

We will need to get results out of the likes of Birmingham, Brighton, Brentford etc if we want to make top 6 this season.

But this is so much better than last season and a decent win tonight against a Leeds side who hadn't lost in five.

Crazy thing is that we could be on more had it not been for the penalty miss at Wednesday and the Rotherham game we should have won easily.

Tonight was a hard fought game, but you could see those little glimmers, the almost balls, the almost passes - when this team clicks regularly and these plays are pulled of successfully more often I really see us being a team to fear. We have also proven we can win ugly.. going to be a long... but amazing season i suspect.

On paper it would not be inconceivable that we could take 15 points from our games in October, but we all know it doesn't work that way. November and December look tough months though. 

What i do like about the squad we have at the moment is that there isn't really anyone that you would feel would weaken the side if they played, that may stand us in good stead in the busier months.  

2 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

In my opinion we have massively exceded expectations and I really hope that the fans and the team don't get carried away with our position in the league too early in the season.

It appears our Manager agrees with you.

"I am not going to discredit the position we are in. It's tight but we are ahead of schedule." http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37414319  

25 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Of the teams currently occupying the top 10 places in the league, we've played only three of them, and lost all three of those games. Norwich, Newcastle and Wednesday. 

Once we've played the likes of Reading, Brentford and Birmingham we will have a better idea of how we match up for the play offs.

See where we are after 23 games! 

It's good that we've got some points while we can. Unlike last season. We're looking good for a 10th - 12th finish maybe. Happy with that this season.

29 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Sorry don't see it that way, it doesn't matter what your up against draw with Rotherham beat Villa,.

Lose home to Burton doesn't matter a jot, just a crazey league win more than we loose, then hell weve got a chanch!!

I'm very pleased with our start to the season and have been enjoying it immensely. The team has shown real promise and we have some very creative players (Tomlin, Paterson, Reid, Freeman) who are causing teams problems. We ate also looking much more stubborn defensively.

There's a long way to go yet and I'm sure we'll go through a difficult patch at some point, but so far this season has exceeded my expectations.

45 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

The top 10 occupy about 40% of the League, so across 10 fixtures you'd only expect us to play 4: and Norwich away, Sheff Weds away and Newcastle are pigs of games. 

I imagine most other teams in the top 10 would boast 3 or 4 fixtures with a few exceptions. Plus Wolves for instance with one win could climb from 11th to 3rd, so we are at the part of the season where the fact we beat someone does play no insignificant part in them not being further up. 

Anyone think we are fitter than our opponents.  It's not just the second half stuff.  Pretty much every home game has been fairly dull til 30-35 minutes, when it appears our opposition have a lull and we finish the half stronger. Bee continue that into the second half and the opposition can't get back at us.

In fairness, I thought Leeds were very organised.  Wood peeled onto Magnusson, to make his strength count, and Bryan had a tough evening against Sahko.  We didn't have our own way, but I think we deserved the 3 points.

I think we have to be delighted with 5th after 10 games, particularly given some of the sides we have come up against. I still think Norwich and Newcastle are the class in this division - take our narrow defeats to them out of the equation and we've lost 1 in 8 against the rest.

A few weeks ago I stated that we could be outside contenders for the playoffs, which @Robert the bruce thought was "hilarious" - I wonder if he still thinks that? I'd still say "outside contenders" is about right.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

To be fair those 3 games we gave it a food bloody go and deserved a point from each of them.

I'm delighted with where we are. I know within the club the minimum target is the play offs and right now that certainly seems plausible. The players believe they can do it and I believe if this form continues and we have a bit of luck then greater things await us. 

As long as we continue to compete around the play off spots I will be happy.

I think we'll be in and around the playoffs, but I think you could say that about a lot of sides. It's a strong league. Take out the obvious names and there's still a large amount of teams that look pretty good: Huddersfield, Brentford, Birmingham, Reading, Wolves... Leeds looked a very decent outfit tonight.

Come the end of the season when you look at the league table around 13-16th they'll be some good quality teams in the bottom half

5 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

I think we'll be in and around the playoffs, but I think you could say that about a lot of sides. It's a strong league. Take out the obvious names and there's still a large amount of teams that look pretty good: Huddersfield, Brentford, Birmingham, Reading, Wolves... Leeds looked a very decent outfit tonight.

Come the end of the season when you look at the league table around 13-16th they'll be some good quality teams in the bottom half

I think some of those teams will fade away. I think they have peaked already. Just as I think others will climb the league.

As for us I don't think we have even got out of second gear yet, we are improving week on week.

Archived