IGNORED

Jackie Vid

Tinmans Love Child

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Tomlin is three Times the player Jacki was and more ' honest ' .

I'm going against the grain here but I think Jacki was a huge disappointment.

He was immensely talented but for me he took the piss out of BCFC. 

Only turned it on when it suited him and a disruptive element at the club .

Sorry guys .

Tomlin v Jackie .....that's a joke surely ?

11 hours ago, TRL said:

Osman didn't like the foreign players anyway and was under instruction to get high earners off the payroll, he paid youth team players to nobble atteveld to provoke a reaction so he could get him out of the club.

You know Osman 'paid youth team players to nobble Atteveld' - that's a bold claim. Can you elaborate as to how you know that to be a fact?

No doubt Jackie was a skilfull player but he was as lazy as they come and if he were around today he'd be playing in non league.

He had a few tricks that entertained the crowd but tricks and a 30yrd shot weren't enough if you wanted to be a team player and he didn't. That's why Osman dropped him.

Ive never understood the love-ins for Jackie - he scored 9 goals for us in his entire time at City ffs but he's still considered a legend........:facepalm: 

Tony tap-in Thorpe scored over 50 goals for City but rarely gets a mention........

46 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You know Osman 'paid youth team players to nobble Atteveld' - that's a bold claim. Can you elaborate as to how you know that to be a fact?

I know the u21 player at the time that was initially offered the job

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt Jackie was a skilfull player but he was as lazy as they come and if he were around today he'd be playing in non league.

He had a few tricks that entertained the crowd but tricks and a 30yrd shot weren't enough if you wanted to be a team player and he didn't. That's why Osman dropped him.

Ive never understood the love-ins for Jackie - he scored 9 goals for us in his entire time at City ffs but he's still considered a legend........:facepalm: 

Tony tap-in Thorpe scored over 50 goals for City but rarely gets a mention........

That's because our consistent 20 league goals a season striker never once hit 20 league goals for us....And was a top paid million pound striker who consistently failed to get us promoted with other massively overpaid 'stars' when we were splashing the cash all over the place in div1... he didn't get much of a look in at the higher level the season he signed.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

'a few tricks and a 30 yard shot' are even Osman's words I think. To be honest, that's exactly what I wanted, especially at a time when Osman was insistent on playing some diabolical brand of anti-football. 

Jacki had some outrageous tricks in his armoury, pulled out a couple of brilliant goals, and had a grace and elegance on the pitch that set him head and shoulders above the others on the park. Just knowing he was playing created a buzz and It's no coincidence that the memorable games of that era all heavily involved him. The icing on the cake was an off-the-pitch persona that struck a chord with the crowd. Flash, cheeky but always greatly appreciative of the fans: basically, he was the kind of footballer / bloke the majority of lads watching from the stands would love to be. 

There was an instant cult of Jacki when he signed, and I'm glad that nearly 25 years (!!!!) on he's still hailed by many as the finest talent city has ever had! Those who don't see it that way frequently quote and wave the stats around: fair enough, but IMO you can't quantify talent and thrills in that way. Not when a true maverick is involved! 

Can't remember which pundit said Jackie was TOO good for the rest of the squad.

The good thing about Lee is he is quietly building a squad of talented equals; not there yet but not far short either. If Lee had managed Jackie we would have gone places.

We are going places now. BELIEVE

A few points:

1. You shouldn't compare Jacki and Tomlin. While they're both talented players, they played for City at different times. Different team mates, different opposition, expecrations, the list goes on. It's like comparing Kevin Mabbutt with Tammy. Although you can compare them, you shouldn't.

2. Jacki was a great player to watch, even if he wasn't a team player. Your archetypal player who you'd 'pay your entry fee just to watch him'. He was a maverick, the type of player who every kid wanted to be. He was the nearest to Roy Race that I'd ever seen.

3. Jacki helped me in my recovery from a serious road accident. I was taken to AG by a male nurse who did St. John's ambulance, so was in the wheelchair enclosure. March 1992 v Wolves. Jacki was strutting around with his socks rolled right down, like the midfield dynamo we all wanted to be. The march was 0-0. In the 82nd minute, he beat 5 players and rifled the ball into the top right hand corner. In the 88th minute, he did similar, but into the top left. I went to jump up in celebration, but remembered that both my legs were broken!

I may have slightly rose tinted spectacles on, so may have slightly remembered this incorrectly. It's almost all correct though. The record can be looked up, if anyone can be bothered.

At the end of it all, it doesn't matter if he was better than Tomlin, took the piss, or whatever. He was a massive ray of sunshine during the dark days of Osman football, he should be celebrated as such. 

He was a footballing god. Although not an example to kids for how to live your personal life, he was a footballer to model them in.

He didn't just look like he was from a different country, he looked like he was from a different planet! (Apologies to John Motson for paraphrasing him)

I was there for his debut v Southend at AG and if I recall correctly, as it seems like I was witnessing a piece of fiction, he received the ball within seconds of the kick off on the halfway line and dribbled through several Southend players as he took the ball into their pen area before going close with a shot. I cannot recall if it went narrowly wide, hit the post or was cleared off the line, by that stage I was in a state of shock that a player could dismiss the opposition so easily, taking them on single handed and pretty nearly succeeding in notching a spectacular solo goal in the first minute of his debut. I hadn't seen such individual skill since George Best and old film of Puskas. Yet here was someone displaying it in a Bristol City shirt. Phenomenal. 

On 10/3/2016 at 21:34, Ringopiece said:

I was 21 when he played for us. I can't think of anyone I wanted to be apart from him, either at that time, or since then.

Indeed. I might be a right on Leftie, but I still wanted to be the boozing, shagging, party animal genius that he was. 

Archived