IGNORED

AFL Grand Final

BS5_RED

Anyone watching today?

'mon the scray!!

(Actually I think Sydney will win, but I'm siding with rest of the country who would love a fairytale Bulldogs premiership)

Either way be some good relief after sitting through power cuts and floods all week....

Aussie rules? Saw Freemantle Dockers play some other team in Perth WA a few years ago. It has to be one of the most bizarre ball games ever invented. 

I had no idea what the rules were or what the idea was. Four posts and both ends of a huge oval shaped pitch swarming with numerous half dressed blokes smacking into each other. 

The stadium was packed with Aussies enjoying the game - says a lot about our colonial friends I guess  

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Aussie rules? Saw Freemantle Dockers play some other team in Perth WA a few years ago. It has to be one of the most bizarre ball games ever invented. 

I had no idea what the rules were or what the idea was. Four posts and both ends of a huge oval shaped pitch swarming with numerous half dressed blokes smacking into each other. 

The stadium was packed with Aussies enjoying the game - says a lot about our colonial friends I guess  

It takes some getting used to but I really enjoy it now. Rules are basically:

• You cant throw the ball - have to punch it to pass out of your hands
  • You have to bounce the ball if you run more than 20m - which is bloody difficult.
  • If you kick the ball 20m and a teammate catches it - thats a mark - free kick for your side. Leads to the spectacular athletic contested marks which is one of the unique aspects of the game.
  • If you are tackled with the ball but have a prior opportunity to dispose of it - free kick against you. Entirely up to the umpire and this is why you hear crowds scream "baaaaallllll" (holding the ball) everytime anyone gets tackled.
  • Kick the ball between the big sticks for 6 points, small sticks for 1.

Apart from that not many other rules........ :cool:

Shares a lot of characteristics with Gaelic football (apart from the oval ball) with elements of an aboriginal game called "Marngrook".  Prefer it to rugby as it plays much more like 360 degree game of (our) football rather than the more linear egg chasing game.

'mon the scray!

13435682_10154184153005295_1590784249_n.jpg

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

Being a Port Adelaide fan I will lower myself to back the Doggies for this one

As you probably remember I used to barrack for Franchise FC (Crows) but quickly switched to Port (Magpies and Power) once I realised the latter was a proper club founded in 1870.

Not a bastardized VFL franchise formed in 1990 that play in a tube of refreshers.

:cool:

Cheer Cheer the black and the white!

4 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

As you probably remember I used to barrack for Franchise FC (Crows) but quickly switched to Port (Magpies and Power) once I realised the latter was a proper club founded in 1870.

Not a bastardized VFL franchise formed in 1990 that play in a tube of refreshers.

:cool:

Cheer Cheer the black and the white!

You are exactly right. Port Adelaide originally applied to join the old VFL but this was refused by the SANFL who wanted to keep control and then in turn formed the Crows so they made the money. I worked for Kauri Timber Co in Port Adelaide for a few years and would often pop into Alberton Oval to watch Port play. This is back in the days of the great Russell Ebert. Most of my mates supported either The Redlegs or The Bay but then no ones perfect in this world.

Go the Doggies in the final.

Back in Adelaide in November to visit my folks who live in Goolwa and my Sister in Seacliff. If you are still there do you fancy a pint ?

Archived