IGNORED

Half time hell

Midlands Robin

While recently reflecting on some of my early visits to the Gate around the 92-93 season I seem to recall during one half time, watching a group of Buddhist style monks banging bongos and doing a lap of the pitch. 

Now I've never taken an illegal substance in my life and only had a couple of pints of Natch in the Rising Sun before kick off so I'm pretty certain it actually happened.

This got me thinking what is the poorest excuse for entertainment you've been subjected to at half time in a match.

For me, a new low at the Gate was reached when we were subjected to Sam Mason introducing a female partner for our Cat mascot by shrieking at the top of her voice "Introducing the City Cat and THE CITY PUSSY"

Mind you, in terms of the best value half time entertainment, nothing will ever beat the punch up between the three little pigs and Wolfie even though we were part way through a 7-1 spanking.

Time to resurrect the story of the parachute display team. They were supposed to hit a target in the centre circle,but half of them disappeared over the back of the old open end and (I hope) landed in the Park, to chants of "you're going in the river" from the East End! :)

Downesy is no better than sam mason, he knows nothing about the club history

Or football either. His half time interview with jackie last saturday was pathetic,

He didn,t  know anything about jackie,s time at the gate, and all he could say

Was how the stadium must have changed.

We need someone who understands football and has a knowledge of BCFC both

present and past, not someone reading from a clipboard.

11 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

While recently reflecting on some of my early visits to the Gate around the 92-93 season I seem to recall during one half time, watching a group of Buddhist style monks banging bongos and doing a lap of the pitch. 

Now I've never taken an illegal substance in my life and only had a couple of pints of Natch in the Rising Sun before kick off so I'm pretty certain it actually happened.

This got me thinking what is the poorest excuse for entertainment you've been subjected to at half time in a match.

For me, a new low at the Gate was reached when we were subjected to Sam Mason introducing a female partner for our Cat mascot by shrieking at the top of her voice "Introducing the City Cat and THE CITY PUSSY"

Mind you, in terms of the best value half time entertainment, nothing will ever beat the punch up between the three little pigs and Wolfie even though we were part way through a 7-1 spanking.

6-1........:mf_sleep:

14 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Had her. Did have to wait in line for a while though. As for the City Pussy ...

Away from Ashton gate . Went to West Ham a few seasons ago on a Tuesday night . At half time they had two reality stars . What ever they are . Can't remember there names . One was a lady with big earrings. And the other was a male no idea who he was. I think she sang . I can remember standing there thinking WTF is going on . Really strange 

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Away from Ashton gate . Went to West Ham a few seasons ago on a Tuesday night . At half time they had two reality stars . What ever they are . Can't remember there names . One was a lady with big earrings. And the other was a male . I think she sang . I can remember standing there thing WTF is going on . Really strange 

Had her (and I think you mean 'yearrings'; we're Bristolians, right?)

6-1, could have sworn it was 7. Thought it was Bradford who put 6 passed us? Still emotionally scared about it now. 

We did score first. Carl Hutchings I believe.The worst goal was Mark Shail and one of the othe defenders (Vegard Hansen?) having an 'after you, no after you' discussion before the Wolves player nipped through to pinch the ball and score.

5 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I remember the army doing some displays at half time a couple of times. Literally filled the Gate with smoke which obviously no one told there are illegal in football grounds :nono:

Like when the club advocated the throwing of missiles, by allowing hot chicks to go around the edge of the pitch lobbing pork pies into the crowd.

In our old first division days, we had a few "interesting" half time acts:

There was the bloke who could do all sorts of gymnastics on a push bike. 

Then there was a cowboy and Indian shoot out. There's a picture of Malcolm Mcdonald with them that made the newspapers.....gunners puns galore.

We witnessed a game of Lacrosse. 

A Rock n Roll band (forgotten their name but they were well known in Bristol) played a set on the back of a low loader lorry. They drove around the pitch (on the running track) afterwards only to see the cymbals fly off.

A local reggae band also once played.  Needless to say the sound quality for both  bands ranged from  non-existent to awful.

We had a British Leyland demonstration of their latest models....they were driven around the running track.

It wasn't Clarks pies but another brand (Bowyers? ) drove a lorry around the track with helpers throwing their pies into the crowd.  It still makes me laugh that the East Enders would catch the pies and throw them back using the helpers as targets! 

In our 4th division days we would have the occasional marching band.  I remember one of the musicians had a heart attack on the pitch and died. 

Finally,  who can forget our all girl dance group? The Rockin' Robins I think they were called.

Can anyone else remember a time when (I think it was) the TA did a half time display, running around the pitch, shooting each other and hiding behind cardboard trees and gates etc? IIRC it was quite a windy day and most of the obstacles blew over. The sight of the protagonists attempting to hide behind a cardboard tree that had blown over still makes me smile now...

A few years back, pretty sure it was Chesterfield at home it was cold, it was wet and the rain was driving across the pitch horizontally and some one decided it was a good idea to have a Neil Diamond tribute act standing in the centre circle at half time belting out Sweet Caroline. He came off cold and wet and to the sound of his own footsteps.

I believe it was the same match sitting in the Williams we were regally entertained for most of the 2nd half by someone sitting by themselves  belting out show tunes by Rogers and Hammerstein - a particular favourite being a rather good version of Doris Day -The Deadwood Stage with particular emphasis on the line "whip crackaway"

You'll be unsurprised to learn we lost

Archived