IGNORED

Best footballer you have seen live

MC RISK77

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 20:47, Calculus said:

Has to be Messi for me. George Best was something to see but he never quite dominated in the way Messi does at Barca. 

I watched GB score a hat trick at the Dell. He then relaxed to give the other players a chance and Man U won 5-2. Oddly though I went to the Dell that day to see not George Best, but Dennis Law play.

Best's misfortune was being an Ulsterman. As NI never qualified for the World Cup or Euros, he never had the chance to shine in anything but club competitions. Similarly, John Toshack was a good forward, but being Welsh he never had the chance to show the World what he was capable of.

5 minutes ago, 22A said:

I watched GB score a hat trick at the Dell. He then relaxed to give the other players a chance and Man U won 5-2. Oddly though I went to the Dell that day to see not George Best, but Dennis Law play.

Best's misfortune was being an Ulsterman. As NI never qualified for the World Cup or Euros, he never had the chance to shine in anything but club competitions. Similarly, John Toshack was a good forward, but being Welsh he never had the chance to show the World what he was capable of.

Liam Brady was another one, injured for Euro 88 which was the only one the ROI qualified for while he was playing. Ryan Giggs too of course.

6 minutes ago, 22A said:

Denis Law was indeed a great player. I wonder whether there's ever been a better forward line than Best, Law and Charlton?

Mind you, when I was living in Cardiff, we all though Toshack was a lummock and couldn't see what Shankly saw in him. Just goes to show...

2 hours ago, Aizoon said:

Denis Law was indeed a great player. I wonder whether there's ever been a better forward line than Best, Law and Charlton?

Mind you, when I was living in Cardiff, we all though Toshack was a lummock and couldn't see what Shankly saw in him. Just goes to show...

I think a modern comparison will be Messi, Neymar and Suárez?

On 06/10/2016 at 21:58, Tomarse said:

Glad I'm not the only one who recalls Collymore back then. What a humongous waste of a tallent. 

Tore us apart, and sticks out as a memory for me alongside Sno, Sheringham etc. Looked like a man playing against schoolboys that day. Thought Mick McCarthy looked the best player on the pitch in that Sheringham game though...... 

Was really surprised how 'all round' good Steve McManaman was when I saw him play. Not the one trick pony I thought he would be. 

a little of topic 

3 of the best moments i have seen live

1.owen france 98 when he went on that run to score i think it was one of the games that hurt the most when we lost

2 scholes , scotland away 99 im not sure if it was the first or second goal when he scored jumped the hordings and put his hand to his ear total madness in the away end

3 watching alan shearer score a hat trick at leeds back in 93/94 after all the stick he got for letting his country down for not getting to the usa 94 world cup

plenty of city ones but  these 3 always stick out when thinking back (sorry)

i keep thinking of steve heighway for liverpool against us. also peter shiltons ability to dodge pork pies.

alex oxlade chamberlain for southampton v rochdale.never seen energy like it from anyone else. told my southampton mate he would play for england one day.he thought i was totally nuts

13 hours ago, andy114 said:

The best young player I've ever seen was Trevor Francis playing for Birmingham in about 1971. He was about 17 and absolutely brilliant that day.

l

I remember his debut season he was like Tammy - scoring for fun week in week out at only 17.

1 hour ago, Scrumpty said:

In a City shirt... Gerry Gow. The complete midfield general.

Was thinking the same in light of today's sad news Scrumpty.

Easy to underestimate our own sometimes.

In 2010, I saw Inter Milan and Roma playing at San Siro, for the Italian Super Cup  : there were several really strong players on the pitch, especially in the Nerazzurri's line-up, so it's not easy to choose only one player.

Based on their international career (and results)...I choose Eto'O.

About City...I would say Adomah, who played against Peterborough in the only match I attended at Ashton Gate, in 2011.

Archived