IGNORED

RIP Gerry Gow

cider head

He deserves every tribute made to him on this site and elsewhere. The word "legend" has become devalued through casual overuse, which is a pity because in Gerry's case it is fitting. He is of my own generation, so I saw the majority of his home performances. He was not a man you could forget. As someone else commented, he was such a dominant force that he in some ways even overshadows the great John Atyeo, which is some accolade. I was genuinely affected by the news of his death early this morning. A very special player in the history of the club, a one-off, and a sad day. I hope BCFC will do something to commemorate his outstanding contribution. Great bloke taken too son. I feel for his family.

2 hours ago, Sargent Pepper said:

Sad, sad news. I never got to see him play but he was unquestionably my Dads favourite player as he was a lot of people on the forums and at the Gate. Met him a few times in latter years and he seemed a genuine and humble man with lots of great stories. A sad loss to us and more importantly his family.

In his memory, how about printing red t-shirts with the image taken from the surfer flag and selling them and any proceeds going to  http://www.cancerresearchuk.org ?

I know there are some on here that know all about printing t-shirts and I'm sure they would be popular and would be great to see Ashton Gate decked out in these t-shirts.

@Olé

ok so this seems a fairly well received idea, but we would need to sell 100 to make a worthwhile donation to the charity. We would also need permission (and an original copy) of whoever designed this flag. Anyone know who that might be?

Gow flag.jpg

25 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

My era was his era so saw pretty much all his city career at home and away , brilliant bloke, Brilliant player heartbeat of city's best ever team , have a picture somewhere of him in  the youth team with Tom Ritchie and others which he signed when I was kid getting autographs , RIP Gowy

Mine too.   He was a proper Footballer

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How many players are considered legends at more than one club ? 

I'll Tell you , not bloody many and that is Gerry Gow's testament.

He only played 36 games at MCFC and became a legend. That tells you something about Gerrry Gow.

In keeping with so many here he was one of heroes back in the day. Totally committed in each and every game, as hard as nails and covered every blade of grass. His mere presence was worth a head start.

My thoughts are with his family and friends. At just 64 we have lost a true City legend.

RIP Gerry.

I was too young to of seen Gerry play for City, however in the 25 years I've been going to the Gate, I've never heard anyone who watched him play be less the wholesome in their praise of him. My best mate @bristolcity1981 is an avid collector of City memrobillia and went down to Portland to meet Gerry a few years back and ended up becoming friendly with him and his lovely wife Jools. So much so that at an ex City players reunion in Shirehampton in 2012 we spent a lot of time in their company and I ended up giving them a lift back to their hotel in Portishead. They'd been expecting food to be laid on, it wasn't, so I stopped at an all night burger van for them, Gerry treated me to Cheeseburger and chips! It's been a fond memory of mine ever since, even more so now he's passed away. RIP Gerry and thanks for the memory's.

21 minutes ago, Sargent Pepper said:

ok so this seems a fairly well received idea, but we would need to sell 100 to make a worthwhile donation to the charity. We would also need permission (and an original copy) of whoever designed this flag. Anyone know who that might be?

Gow flag.jpg

Edson did one for the incider years ago (litterally talking 12 years ago now!) - however the original image is open to copyright arguments and fair to say the owner of the original picture is a complete arsehole who will happily take anyone reproducing it to court..

tn_post-7-1067434771.jpg

3 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Could we ask Cardiff to request a minute's applause during Friday night's fixture? As I remember, Gerry was number 4 and appeared in several Severnside derbies during the 70s.

The term legend isn't appropriate for Gerry. At City he was God.

Think we should do it at our home game against Blackburn

From Blue forum

Gerry Gow once told me to f off when I walked into the White Horse pub in Bemmy he used to run.
In truth, I was being a cheeky little so and so as I was wearing my Rovers shirt.
He might have been doing me a favour as one or two of the locals seemed less than impressed that a Gashead was in their pub.
I actually found it funny and still do.

Sad to hear about his passing and condolences to his family and friends.

Hi all,

Yeovil fan based in Bristol here. Gerry came to us later on in his career but still retained that bite in midfield and as others have said, he was literally everywhere! He was player manager at a time where we had escaped relegation twice by narrow squeaks and there was an air of inevitability about it when at the third time of asking, we were relegated for the first time in our history. 

Gerry stayed with the club for 2-3 years and though he couldn't get us back up, we were entertaining as hell. Kevin Reeves, John McGinlay and many ex-City players came down to Huish but the most incredible signing YTFC ever made was Ian Botham. Imagine me as a 15-year-old cricket and football nut seeing an England cricketer playing up front for us, madness! Put several hundred on the gate, got us some publicity, a few more quid in the bank and off we went. 

First season we had 91 points and his second season (well half a season as he resigned part way through) we ended up with 92 points. Good enough to win the title most years but in these particular seasons, only good enough for second spot. He did so much off the pitch for us, setting up skittle teams with the players playing to ingrain them more within the local community; seems strange now, recounting that now and my kids wouldn't believe it if I told them. 

Anyway, just a little tribute from us down here at HP. Very sad news and I would hope that our club will pay tribute to a great player, a very good manager and a wonderful human being.

RIP Gerry, you will be sorely missed x

Archived