IGNORED

Mark Aizlewood in court charged with fraud

Rudolf Hucker

Hope he's got a better defence than the one of which he was part.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37610614

Ex-Wales player Mark Aizlewood denies football fraud

• 5 hours ago
  •  
  • From the sectionWales
Mark Aizlewood Image captionMark Aizlewood's former clubs include Cardiff, Bristol City, Leeds and Charlton

An ex-Wales footballer has denied being part of an alleged multi-million pound fraud involving apprentice schemes.

Mark Aizlewood, 57, from Aberdare, pleaded not guilty to fraud by false representation in connection with football-based apprenticeships.

He and five others face charges at London's Southwark Crown Court after a Serious Fraud Office investigation.

Former Middlesbrough, Cardiff and Newport player Paul Sugrue, 55, of Cardiff, also denied the allegation.

The charge relates to the Coventry-based Learning and Skills Council and its successor, the Skills Funding Agency, which were both allegedly defrauded between 1 November, 2008, and 30 September, 2011.

Jack William Harper, 29, of Southport, Merseyside, Christopher Paul Martin, 52, of Catmore, West Berkshire, and Keith Anthony Williams, 44, of Cemaes Bay, Anglesey, also denied the count.

Steven Paul Gooding, 52, of Bridgwater, Somerset, will enter a plea to the alleged conspiracy on 31 October.

A second charge of conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation was also denied by Aizlewood, Sugrue, Martin and Williams.

It concerns making dishonest representations regarding the accounts of Luis Michael Associates and Luis Michael Training between 1 January, 2009, and 31 October, 2010.

Aizlewood, who was capped 39 times by Wales, and played for Charlton Athletic, Leeds United and Bristol City, spoke only to deny the charges.

Harper also denied an additional count of fraud and one of using a false instrument, both of which he stands accused of alone.

They were all bailed to return for trial at the same court on 4 September, 2017.

7 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

They were all bailed to return for trial at the same court on 4 September, 2017.

Well, the wheels of justice certainly move quicker that he ever did.

Been a bit quiet on the michael mcindoe front lately. Anyone know what's happening there?

7 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Well, the wheels of justice certainly move quicker that he ever did.

Been a bit quiet on the michael mcindoe front lately. Anyone know what's happening there?

Latest I could find on McIndoe 

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-news/2016/05/30/michael-mcindoe-former-wolves-star-appoints-top-lawyer-ahead-of-bankruptcy-case/ 

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I was at that game - the last one, IIRC that David James played for Watford before signing for Liverpool? I don't know why I remember that or even if I did!

Actually it was the year before, that was David James last game for Watford.

We played the last game of season there 2 seasons running, I went to both.

On 11/10/2016 at 08:35, BS3City said:

For me the highlight of Mark Aizlewoods career was at Sheffield Weds away (night game IIRC). A superb waist high challenge on Trevor Francis on the half way line! Says it all really...:shifty:

October 1990 at Ipswich, Lumsden tried 3-4-3 and City always looked like scoring, but after 15 minutes they missed an open goal and five minutes later conceded one. In the second half goal keeper Sinclair was beaten by another shot, but Aizlewood charged through the area, leapt acrobatically and palmed the ball over the bar! Thompson hit the resultant penalty high and wide of the goal.

On 10/13/2016 at 18:44, 22A said:

October 1990 at Ipswich, Lumsden tried 3-4-3 and City always looked like scoring, but after 15 minutes they missed an open goal and five minutes later conceded one. In the second half goal keeper Sinclair was beaten by another shot, but Aizlewood charged through the area, leapt acrobatically and palmed the ball over the bar! Thompson hit the resultant penalty high and wide of the goal.

Been trying to remember the match this happened for years!  Thanks!

Even forgot who it was that made the 'save' but always remembered it.

Archived