IGNORED

Raising money in memory of Gerrry Gow (Merged)

Fidget

If I remember correctly a 18 year old Gerry made his City debut in July 1970 in a pre season friendly away against Holstein Kiel. City won two nil with Chris Garland scoring both goals. The very same game was a thirteen year old Swedish City fans first game - Garland-Sweden on this forum.

No donation is to small and it is smoothly done.

When we met up with Gerry in Weymouth two years ago I said something about players not being up to it in friendlies. I very soon understood this was nothing familiar to Gerry.

It's know a grey Thursday in October and we are supposed to do our best as we always do. 

£5 I think we can afford for charity in the good name of Gerry Gow.

RIP.

As posted in the other thread... 

Gerry Gows funeral will be on Friday the 4th November , it's 2pm Easton Methodist Church, Easton Sq, Portland Dorset , DT5 1BX, then on to Weymouth Crematorium for 3:15 then back to south Portland working men's conservative club Easton DT5 1BX to celebrate Gerry's life , all welcome, Please could you share this on your pages and forums so nobody that would like to attend misses out , thanks from Chris Gow 

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

If anyone can shift a fiver for Weldmar in remembrance of Gerry Gow it would be much appreciated.

Our stalwart of modern time dies and we collect £400.

Don't feel very happy about it.

Anyone can shift a fiver I believe.

dont forget tommy apart from yourself and the swedish contribution its only just over 300quid. it really puts the ones with zips on pockets to shame.

as i wrote before so many nice things said  about the man so few have chipped in

Probably missing the obvious, but noticed on Gerry's just giving page the target total is listed as just £1,025 , wondering if that is a particularly significant number for some reason?

I see that target has almost been reached this evening thanks to a particularly generous donation of over £500 by one anon supporter :clapping: .... Expecting that target figure will be absolutely smashed come Saturday during and after the match... steadily increasing up to another peak on Nov 4th for Jerry's final goodbye.

Hope by the time the just giving page wraps up the £1,025 target figure will have at least another 0 added to it... its a great cause in memory of a great guy and true City legend.

But why the puzzling figure of 1025 ? (I'm sure its been mentioned by someone and I've somehow missed it)

18 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Probably missing the obvious, but noticed on Gerry's just giving page the target total is listed as just £1,025 , wondering if that is a particularly significant number for some reason?

I see that target has almost been reached this evening thanks to a particularly generous donation of over £500 by one anon supporter :clapping: .... Expecting that target figure will be absolutely smashed come Saturday during and after the match... steadily increasing up to another peak on Nov 4th for Jerry's final goodbye.

Hope by the time the just giving page wraps up the £1,025 target figure will have at least another 0 added to it... its a great cause in memory of a great guy and true City legend.

But why the puzzling figure of 1025 ? (I'm sure its been mentioned by someone and I've somehow missed it)

I imagine Tommy did not want to put to much pressure on people by setting a unrealistic amount - and to be fair, if annon had not contributed such a large amount then after all this time we would be struggling to break £400 ( 300+ people who had read this thread leaving hearfelt messages and the thousands who read the site you would think there would be more - but I think the Atyeo statue was the same, lot's of sentiment, but few people willing to give up their bigmac and chips for the day).

• Admin

The Evening Post asked me if they could run the story about Tommy setting up the JustGiving page - but not seen it???

Assume that something will be in our program on Saturday, maybe the link to the Justgiving page could be included?

Not sure who to contact - is this something in your domain @AdamB?

• Admin
14 hours ago, stawey said:

dont forget tommy apart from yourself and the swedish contribution its only just over 300quid. it really puts the ones with zips on pockets to shame.

as i wrote before so many nice things said  about the man so few have chipped in

@stawey over £1k now !

1 hour ago, phantom said:

The Evening Post asked me if they could run the story about Tommy setting up the JustGiving page - but not seen it???

Assume that something will be in our program on Saturday, maybe the link to the Justgiving page could be included?

Not sure who to contact - is this something in your domain @AdamB?

Can you e-mail mark.perrow@bcfc.co.uk asap please. It's deadline day, but given all the tributes it would be great to get it in.

Regards
Adam

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Equally baffling as very generous 

I'm sure it'll be a great comfort to the family.

Trolling a memorial thread. A new low.

I'm guessing the supporters trust will be setting up an official fund raising thing, that Just giving page looked like it was done very quickly as it contained no back story or info.

Either way, you can donate directly to the hospital which is more efficient as you aren't paying Just Giving a commission.

25 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm sure it'll be a great comfort to the family.

Trolling a memorial thread. A new low.

I'm guessing the supporters trust will be setting up an official fund raising thing, that Just giving page looked like it was done very quickly as it contained no back story or info.

Either way, you can donate directly to the hospital which is more efficient as you aren't paying Just Giving a commission.

Is that right? Do JustGiving get commission? I never knew that. I`m quite glad now that it wouldn`t let me donate via Tommy`s page and I went direct to the hospital and did it that way instead.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Is that right? Do JustGiving get commission? I never knew that. I`m quite glad now that it wouldn`t let me donate via Tommy`s page and I went direct to the hospital and did it that way instead.

How do you think they survive!

It's the same with most fund raising things. Children in Need and Comic Relief for example, effectively double the administration costs - at the CIN end and then again at the charity applying to them for funding.

It's a difficult one though, without these big charity events it's highly unlikely that the British public would raise 80 million in a day, so you could argue that the increased admin costs are worth it.

End of the day, if there is a charity you want to support and you can give to them directly it's more efficient to do that.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

We did discuss doing it, but decided as there was one up and running that to have two would be confusing. 

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

We did discuss doing it, but decided as there was one up and running that to have two would be confusing. 

That's fair enough. Just a shame that the one in place contains words likely (at best) to confuse the family and  (at worse), offend them. Even if the are associated with a very very generous donation.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

How do you think they survive!

It's the same with most fund raising things. Children in Need and Comic Relief for example, effectively double the administration costs - at the CIN end and then again at the charity applying to them for funding.

It's a difficult one though, without these big charity events it's highly unlikely that the British public would raise 80 million in a day, so you could argue that the increased admin costs are worth it.

End of the day, if there is a charity you want to support and you can give to them directly it's more efficient to do that.

I suppose I was being a bit naïve to think they would do it for free I guess!

Archived