IGNORED

Your football idol

MC RISK77

City: Louis Carey. Broke his nose on countless occasions and broke his skull in the first half of a game and finished it. Never gave less than 100% ever and captained my first ever City promotion in 2007 and nearly captained us to Premier League glory.

World: Buffon. Not only the greatest keeper for a generation (or two) but a really classy guy who plays the game the correct way. His reaction to the booing at Italy vs France summed him up for me. Also he's nearly 40 and still going and does not look like stopping. 

Gary Collier, the best footballing centre half I've ever seen in the flesh. Would've played for England had he stayed with us.                                                                          Peter Osgood, I remember watching the 1970 cup final in my new Chelsea kit (from Doug Hillards in Eastville, for you old uns) and thinking what a great player he was. When we played football in the streets, I was always Osgood, my mates were Charlton and Best!

1. Super Bob

2. Gazza

Honourable mentions to Tinnion, Murray, Jacki and Shaun Taylor for City. Loved watching David Noble as well, and love watching Tomlin and Tammy now. If Noble could have stayed out of the pub he would've been a fantastic player. 

City: Scott Murray

Non City: Eric Cantona. To quote Noel Gallagher..  

It was the same with Eric Cantona. All City fans loved him too, he was one of those you wished played for you. I loved Eric because he was psychedelic. If he was an album, he would be Sgt. Pepper. Attitude is a rare commodity in football or music and he was a character who had character. You barely get them in society any more, let alone football. Personality matters as much as who they play for when it comes to the players I like - well, sort of. When I stood back and admired Cantona, I appreciated his greatness. But when he was on the pitch I loathed him. When he was scoring the winner against City I wanted to break both his legs."

City - Brian Clark - All heart good footballer and city through and through as was his father Don whose career was interrupted by the war.

Non City - Denis Law - Cross-eyed, thin as a rake and looked like he should be in a hospital bed, when defenders were told to watch Law they did, as that was all they could do, was there a better goal poacher?

International - Bergkamp - Was there ever a better import into the British game? He had it all and did it with such a relaxed style - sublime.

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

City - too many to have just one. Give me a team that included Jacki, Super Bob & Shelts and I'd be happy

Non City - Hoddle

Foreign - Platini or Zico

I was just going to put something similar, through every age/team/generation you tend to have favourite players . Mine started with Garland,Kellard,Galley,  then Whitehead still one of my top City players for skill and crossing ability. Super Bob, TC , Glyn Riley the list could cover a page. Similar story for foreign player, at junior school I loved the Italian and German side of the late 60s early 70s, Luigi Riva anyone , Gerd Muller absolute quality. 

When it comes to non City I found it was easier surprisingly. I loved Hoddle,Waddle,Gasgoign , Wright etc but when it all comes down to it there can be only one ( I loved the first Highlander film ) , Jimmy Greaves ! Englands greatest ever goalscorer , seemed to float over the pitch and made scoring look easy.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

:trumpet::clapping:

Well done Super ;)

The only man with a harder left foot than Stuart Pearce !

It was when I first started watching City, awesome left foot and who could forget the Walshie shuffle?!

Archived