IGNORED

QPR on Tuesday

JasonM88

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The other thing I noticed yesterday that I forgot to mention is QPR are dangerous from set pieces but also over-commit players forward for them. When set pieces go wrong players like Freeman, O'Dowda, Paterson, Reid or Abraham have a real chance to break quickly. They really didn't seem to respond well to pace on the flanks in particular. If McCleary for Reading had timed his runs better (he kept being offside) and had a bit more of an end product, Reading could have had 2 or 3 more goals.

Hopefully LJ (or scouts) will have been watching as well and I'd like to see COD and Paterson on the wings with GON & Reid or Smith(if fit) in the middle. Tomlin free role behind Tammy. 

In which case I'd go Goldbourne LB. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes! He usually kicks a misplaced 50 yard pass out of play..!

Pack's strength is in the air, I'd say. Not keeping possession. 

I'd completely disagree, he's the safety player others pass to when under pressure, and he rarely loses the ball.

5 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I'd completely disagree, he's the safety player others pass to when under pressure, and he rarely loses the ball.

It's a game of opinions. Interesting how we both see a very different player. 

As I say, I like him (now) he's come on leaps and bounds, but more as a first ball winner, tidying things up. 

Yes players look for him because he pulls into space but then often tries something that results I giving the hall away or it going out of play. 

It'GON and a fit Smith that help us keep possession, if possession is the game plan. 

This is the first game this season where we are playing after a poor 90 minutes and it was poor both collectively and individually.

Be intrigued to see the starting 11, suspect LJ will start with a bit more creativity, so perhaps Bobby or Callum from the off. I would be very pleased if Matthews and Smith feature (even on the bench) but somehow get the feeling there is more going on, with both of them, than we yet know about.

The positive thing is that we don't have too long to wait before having the chance to put a poor game behind us. Our reaction against QPR will tell much about the mindset of the team, on and off the pitch.

Hope we will see a full 90 minutes of City at their best.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It's a game of opinions. Interesting how we both see a very different player. 

As I say, I like him (now) he's come on leaps and bounds, but more as a first ball winner, tidying things up. 

Yes players look for him because he pulls into space but then often tries something that results I giving the hall away or it going out of play. 

It'GON and a fit Smith that help us keep possession, if possession is the game plan. 

I think that's our best defensive midfield pairing but even as a detractor of his 12m ago, I think it's imperative we get Bobby Reid in to our starting 11, whether it be as one of the two holding players or as one of the attacking 3 midfielders. If we go with Tomlin Bryan and one of Patterson/ODowda/Freeman etc I still think to have one up top we need more vision and creativity as Reid provides. And he still gives me enough confidence in his guile to be able to make those key passes even if sat a little deeper. 

Just cements in my mind how astounding his development has been. He's as much a starter for me as Flint, Tomlin, Bryan and Tammy. 

5 hours ago, 29AR said:

I think that's our best defensive midfield pairing but even as a detractor of his 12m ago, I think it's imperative we get Bobby Reid in to our starting 11, whether it be as one of the two holding players or as one of the attacking 3 midfielders. If we go with Tomlin Bryan and one of Patterson/ODowda/Freeman etc I still think to have one up top we need more vision and creativity as Reid provides. And he still gives me enough confidence in his guile to be able to make those key passes even if sat a little deeper. 

Just cements in my mind how astounding his development has been. He's as much a starter for me as Flint, Tomlin, Bryan and Tammy. 

All fair points. I do think Reid (generally, not always) makes more impact from the bench than he does when he starts. 

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

All fair points. I do think Reid (generally, not always) makes more impact from the bench than he does when he starts. 

Again, I disagree with you, yes he makes an impact from the bench, but he also makes an impact starting. He's hugely important to the way we play now, and ties the midfield to the attacking players.

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

Again, I disagree with you, yes he makes an impact from the bench, but he also makes an impact starting. He's hugely important to the way we play now, and ties the midfield to the attacking players.

Well, he has played a part in every game so far this season, and with a good start, he obviously deserves his share of credit. 

His 4 goals are a greatly improved return, although only one assist is rather disappointing, so far. 

I find with Bobby that he is either excellent or a bit of weak link and you still never know which you will get from one game to the next. 

He rarely controls a game, IMO, when he's on from the start. Ala GON or Smith used to. 

He is undoubtably now a proper member of the 1st team squad, although he'd probably still be the first one to make way for a returning player in our now, thankfully, competetive midfield options. Although he can certainly offer something different from the bench when things aren't going to plan. 

On 10/15/2016 at 15:30, BCFC TONY said:

Any mention on weather it will be pay on the day? Working in london next week so as long as I finish om time I will be going

Have confirmed that it's pay on the day, just £4 more expensive and you can only pay by cash.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/pay-on-the-night-at-qpr-3367255.aspx

It is sad to say, but everyman and his dog now knows about Tammy. And Warnock showed everyone how to deal with him. The two CB's always knew where he was and their midfield pressed us back onto pack and GON, forcing Tomlin to come deep and thus starving Tammy's supply. Much as i love LJ, i think, as many have said, he made the wrong call and invited this against Cardiff by playing two holding midfielders, no doubt to help muscle the midfield. I would like to see two up front against QPR to give our opponents too much to think about, enabling Tammy and Tomlin behind him some room, time and options. Wilbs has shown what a second striker can do to free things up. I would like to see Gustav, an unknown quantity, putting defenders on the back foot alongside Tammy, but does anyone know what is going on with this? Until then Paterson or even O’dowda could be alongside Tammy, if even just to make runs, drag defenders wide, run them ragged, drop back to pull defenders and create space for others, provide forward options for Tomlin from ahead, rather than runs from behind him. I would like to see the diamond in midfield, with GON or Korey or Pack (in that order) at the base, with Reid in the middle two to give that creative link and stop Tomlin (the tip of the diamond) having to come back to fetch, stunting his supply. I would like to see Reid and the other of our many choices in midfield have the option to drift wide to create space rather than what seems to be happening at the moment of our wide players cutting in, limiting the space. Perhaps this is to encourage the overlap of the full backs, but again as Warnock showed, he can press us high on the full backs and pin us back.

Much as I hate Warnock, he has taught us a lot.

On 15/10/2016 at 08:57, JoeAman08 said:

I wouldn't change too much. It was our worst performance of the season. They happen. I said it numerous times yesterday, we catered to Cardiff and Warnock though. Focused too much on what they might do and didn't worry about what we needed to do. Imo, that started with Bobby being benched. Performance after he came on aside, start with him and that is 90 minutes of energy and attacking threat. Pack and O'Neil loved 5 yard passes to each other and Flint and Hordor. Neither look forward or take a chance. 1 of them is fine and start Bobby. Korey can take his time getting fit as I believe he's more O'Neil than Reid but even Korey gets his head up and will go forward a bit. Matthews will be a huge upgrade but again let's get him 100% fit first. Also another big one is Engvall. We've barely seen him but I'm gonna guess our 2m signing will bring a bit more to a game than wilbs. Wilbs is great when we're are drawing or winning but I had no confidence in getting a couple last night to draw or win. 

So yea, Bobby for Pack or O'Neil. Rest Korey, Matthews and Engvall again if need be. No rush. Rather have them for 30 league games then them sit another 10. The only other thing I'd look at is O'Dowda for Freeman or Paterson. To me, Freeman was worse last night but both don't do a wingers job. They both constantly come inside making less space for Tomlin. Callum will stick to his wing and that helps Tomlin operate. Maybe even time to get Tomlin back out left with Pato in the centre and O dowda on the right. 

Callum for Freeman-stretches the play more.

Lots of personal opinion as to whether to play Freeman or O'Dowda, Bobby or Marlon, Matthews or Little - or Korey or GON, A key change for me is ROD in goal in place of Fielding. ROD did more than most to help keep us up when he joined last season and he started well this season, apart from the long shot from Sheff Wed, which seemed saveable. His presence in goal and managing the penalty area is for me far more effective, and he appears much calmer than Frankie when under pressure.

2 hours ago, terry said:

Lots of personal opinion as to whether to play Freeman or O'Dowda, Bobby or Marlon, Matthews or Little - or Korey or GON, A key change for me is ROD in goal in place of Fielding. ROD did more than most to help keep us up when he joined last season and he started well this season, apart from the long shot from Sheff Wed, which seemed saveable. His presence in goal and managing the penalty area is for me far more effective, and he appears much calmer than Frankie when under pressure.

I tend to agree on the keeper spot. Korey and Matthews starting for U23's I gather so maybe on bench at QPR. 

Tammy is a doubt, think we should rest him, it's a marathon not a sprint, we need to respect him and Chelsea. So an opportunity to try something different. Be interested in others views, on this -  I'd be tempted  to try a wide man or even two (Joe, Callum, Jamie, Luke or Josh) up front alongside Wilbs

19 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Tammy is a doubt, think we should rest him, it's a marathon not a sprint, we need to respect him and Chelsea. So an opportunity to try something different. Be interested in others views, on this -  I'd be tempted  to try a wide man or even two (Joe, Callum, Jamie, Luke or Josh) up front alongside Wilbs

I think we should rest him TBH. If we`re going to go two up front I reckon Jamie P with Wilbs - he seems to be the most direct of the options.

4 hours ago, terry said:

Drop a keeper who hasn't made a mistake and got MOTM a few games back?

Would be a very strange decision

6 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Can't argue with that. I can't believe we've got a 1.5m player that only gets some spot minutes. I understand having to earn a chance but it's not like Freeman has been playing out of this world. Someone else said it, but would be nice to see Callum and Joe start on the left again. I think we need at least 1 proper winger on the pitch and COD is that. Joe is our other. So either Joe forward or COD starting. Other than that and Bobby I'd keep the same side. Think it was just one of those games the other night that you get during the season. Everything was geared towards a Cardiff win from new manager, new players and a favourable ref and we still almost got a point. The boys will be fine and I think LJ learned a lot from it. Need to get everyone fit though. Korey, Matthews and Gustav will just freshen us up a bit I think. 

14 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Was all up for going but only found today that I can go - but £37! Sod that.

I live on the outskirts of London but just can't justify that amount for a ticket. That is absurd and this pricing is just killing football. 

It is expensive, agreed. But it's only £4 more than it was. 

Not sure that would stop me going to see my team play if I was exiled and they were playing relatively local to me. 

On 15/10/2016 at 08:57, JoeAman08 said:

I wouldn't change too much. It was our worst performance of the season. They happen. I said it numerous times yesterday, we catered to Cardiff and Warnock though. Focused too much on what they might do and didn't worry about what we needed to do. Imo, that started with Bobby being benched. Performance after he came on aside, start with him and that is 90 minutes of energy and attacking threat. Pack and O'Neil loved 5 yard passes to each other and Flint and Hordor. Neither look forward or take a chance. 1 of them is fine and start Bobby. Korey can take his time getting fit as I believe he's more O'Neil than Reid but even Korey gets his head up and will go forward a bit. Matthews will be a huge upgrade but again let's get him 100% fit first. Also another big one is Engvall. We've barely seen him but I'm gonna guess our 2m signing will bring a bit more to a game than wilbs. Wilbs is great when we're are drawing or winning but I had no confidence in getting a couple last night to draw or win. 

So yea, Bobby for Pack or O'Neil. Rest Korey, Matthews and Engvall again if need be. No rush. Rather have them for 30 league games then them sit another 10. The only other thing I'd look at is O'Dowda for Freeman or Paterson. To me, Freeman was worse last night but both don't do a wingers job. They both constantly come inside making less space for Tomlin. Callum will stick to his wing and that helps Tomlin operate. Maybe even time to get Tomlin back out left with Pato in the centre and O dowda on the right. 

On 16/10/2016 at 10:34, LondonBristolian said:

Having watched QPR v Reading yesterday, my feeling is QPR are poor in possession and light in central midfield so I think I'd go for players who can control possession.  For me that means there's a strong case for Bobby and Pack.  In fact I might argue going with the team that won 4-0 at Fulham and leaving O'Neill on the bench.

That said, LJ gets it right more often than he gets it wrong and I looked at the Fulham game line-up and wondered what he was doing and I completely got that wrong.  So his call, really...

We didn't keep the ball atall well at Fulham-after going 1-0 up early on we couldn't get the ball off of them..that only changed after the second goal went in....

4 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Fielding

Brownhill     Flint     Magnusson     Goldbourne

Pack     O'Neil     Reid

Patterson     Wilbs     O'Dowda

Assuming Tammy is out.

Why no Tomlin? I may try Tomlin on the left again putting Pato central and COD on the right. Still like a Bobby and GON midfield though. 

Archived