IGNORED

Space - All things beyond Earth's atmosphere

Fiale

I'm a big fan of all things in outer orbit. I've been known to stay up and watch a Soyuz land in Kazakhstan at 2am live.

My hubby thinks I'm mad because I asked for NASA books for my birthday and also because I nearly hyperventilated when Tim Peake sent me a message...

4 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I'm a big fan of all things in outer orbit. I've been known to stay up and watch a Soyuz land in Kazakhstan at 2am live.

My hubby thinks I'm mad because I asked for NASA books for my birthday and also because I nearly hyperventilated when Tim Peake sent me a message...

your not alone, ESA have a live stream on the 19th (i think for 2 days) for their current mars mission and I will have it running in the background checking in whenever I can :sun:

http://livestream.com/ESA/marsarrival

9 hours ago, Red Rag said:

Any of you guys into Astrophotography? One of my many passions.

I have tried a few photos with just a basic crappy telescope and digital camera but I am awful at judging exposure times and there are far to many people with security lights that really annoy me unless I sit totally still, I always end up with blurs, streaks etc... 

If I had the money I would love to get some better gear... 

btw the scope I have is the celestron travelscope 70 - as I said pretty cheap and basic... I keep track of whats happening in the skys on meteor watch http://www.meteorwatch.org/

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

I have tried a few photos with just a basic crappy telescope and digital camera but I am awful at judging exposure times and there are far to many people with security lights that really annoy me unless I sit totally still, I always end up with blurs, streaks etc... 

btw the scope I have is the celestron travelscope 70 - as I said pretty cheap and basic... I keep track of whats happening in the skys on meteor watch http://www.meteorwatch.org/

Can I pm you about this?

9 hours ago, Fiale said:

Hi Fiale. It is possible to get some good images with the 70mm travel scope. You say you have tried with a digital camera, was it attached to the scope on a tripod?

59 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

Hi Fiale. It is possible to get some good images with the 70mm travel scope. You say you have tried with a digital camera, was it attached to the scope on a tripod?

Hi, I used a smartphone adapter like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solomark-Universal-Phone-Adapter-Mount/dp/B014IHCTKY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476866775&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=smartphone+telescopr+adapter     (it might even be the same model as looks similar - long time ago I bought it). The pictures were hit and miss, the moon was to bright and over exposed for example.. my camera on the phone was not great, the telescope a cheap beginners one.. but I managed to pull off the odd decent photo. Wish I had cloud storage back then, I would be able to post them for you guys to look at (not that they were worth looking at other than curiousity).

Since then I have learned that you need to put a moon filter on the eyepiece - really should have joined a decent club and stuck with it instead of bumbling along like I did joining people on the odd "big event" I am sure i would have gotten some decent results with half the effort / time.

You mentioned that you tried with a Digital camera, if you do have a Dslr camera all you would need would be an simple adapter that joins the two items together. A considerable difference would be noticed in the image quality as you have much more control over the camera functions (ISO,exposure length etc)

1 hour ago, Red Rag said:

You mentioned that you tried with a Digital camera, if you do have a Dslr camera all you would need would be an simple adapter that joins the two items together. A considerable difference would be noticed in the image quality as you have much more control over the camera functions (ISO,exposure length etc)

It's was just a old canon digital camera, it fitted into the smartphone holder pretty easily as it was pretty much the same size, just thicker.

Hmmm. You've made me ponder now. I've never considered getting a telescope. Perhaps I should. I'd set it up at silly o'clock in the morning in the garden and just have a gander. 

Any telescope model recommendations for a first timer? Ideally with tripod and smartphone adapter.

Skywatcher Ed80 great little versatile scope. The mount is the important item. Depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do either visual or photography. A fabulous tracking mount is the heq5 pro tracks like a dream, costs around £1k new but worth every penny. Expensive hobby but when your hooked your hooked.

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Hmmm. You've made me ponder now. I've never considered getting a telescope. Perhaps I should. I'd set it up at silly o'clock in the morning in the garden and just have a gander. 

Any telescope model recommendations for a first timer? Ideally with tripod and smartphone adapter.

It awkward as you don;t want to spend to much money in case you realise it's not your cup or tea, or that you do not use it as often as you thought you would - there again a cheaper telescope may put you off as your not getting the views / results you hoped for so it does not hook you as it should. I would suggest going one night with the local group and seeing if it's your cup of tea - and if you enjoy it then you only have to worry about the upper limit of what your willing to pay...

On 18/10/2016 at 13:14, Red Rag said:

Any of you guys into Astrophotography? One of my many passions.

Yeah! I have a 6" reflector, £600 EQ mount and DSLR - skies aren't great in South Bristol obviously but I've gotten quite a few galaxies and nebulae - trick is in the processing though! Haven't actually done it in a year or so as my current garden is north facing - skies not as good and looking over Bristol.

You should share a few pics!

e: Most of mine are on my laptop which I don't currently have access too, but here are a few oldish (and not great) ones I've taken from near North Street (so quite bright!):

M31 (Andromeda Galaxy):

ypsYvgw.jpg

Orion Nebula:

4BuLl2g.jpg

Jupiter (with bonus shadow of IO, one of the moons):

LiOQofM.jpg

On 19/10/2016 at 17:00, Red Rag said:

Skywatcher Ed80 great little versatile scope. The mount is the important item. Depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do either visual or photography. A fabulous tracking mount is the heq5 pro tracks like a dream, costs around £1k new but worth every penny. Expensive hobby but when your hooked your hooked.

This is the mount I have, it's great. If anyone is thinking of buying I highly recommend https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ (affectionate called Aunty FLO by many!). Extremely helpful - they will email you back and offer advice and help if you're new and are genuinely good guys... In fact the advice they gave me when starting out cost me LESS than what I was originally going for, so they're in it for more than just the money. They also noticed me rebuying a part at one point, asked if it broke, and replaced it for free without me even asking. Great guys.

Hi Nick. It is truly is a fantastic mount, even tough the slewing sounds like an old broken bus. I also use FLO they are as you say a great company to deal with.

I am a Dslr user also, maybe one day I will progress to a CCD, but not sure I want all that aggro of filter wheels etc, Here are a few shots I have from my House in Kingswood Bristol..

Andromeda Galaxy.jpeg

horsehead 16.01.jpg

orion 19.12.14 800iso 5min ex home..jpeg

Fantastic pics. Certainly puts my eggy stars to shame! What telescope do you use? Do you have a light pollution filter? My main issue is a lack of exposures usually, I don't think I've ever done multi night sessions yet on the same target. It leaves things like the veil nebula so feint though!

I find my focus slips too quite often... I'm assuming you have a guider? I built one from an old webcam which works quite well, I can get decent times of a few minutes usually.

I image generally with a Skywatcher ED80 pro Apo. The images are guided but I only use a ssag on a finder scope, it's great for the Ed80 but crap on my 8inch Sct which is a whopping f10 focal length. I do use an Astonomic pollution filter at home, it leaves a blue tinge to the subs but it does process out in Ps. Whilst on processing what programme do use use. You may not know but PS2 is now free to down. Like you not used the scope for near on 6 months but the clocks going back next week will give me a little more time. Like the image of Jupiter, what web cam you using to get that?

Archived