IGNORED

silence or applause.

dragonreds

17 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

IMO the current trend of 'a minutes applause for _____ in minute ___' every single match has somehow diminished all meaning of it. 

When a true great of the club passes, a minutes silence seems so much more appropriate. 

Bang on. It's a nice sentiment as a one off, but not at every single game thereafter.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

We've had this sort of discussion before. The reality is there are so many ex players and fans who pass away each year, tributes at every match tend to lose the significance / dignity of the occasion. Many people don't know who the applause is for. Far better to have a proper ceremony at the end of the season for those who are no longer with us 

As you say, many ex players and fans. But none would've meant so much to so many.

No tribute to Gerry Gow would be undignified.

Personally feel a minute applause before kick off would be more fitting.

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

We've had this sort of discussion before. The reality is there are so many ex players and fans who pass away each year, tributes at every match tend to lose the significance / dignity of the occasion. Many people don't know who the applause is for. Far better to have a proper ceremony at the end of the season for those who are no longer with us 

Pongo, I don't mean this in a bad way, but I'm guessing you weren't around when Gerry broke into the team as a teenager and became a massive favourite?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but he meant something special to us, and it would be a shame to let this pass without us old uns having a chance to show just how much.

:thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Pongo, I don't mean this in a bad way, but I'm guessing you weren't around when Gerry broke into the team as a teenager and became a massive favourite?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but he meant something special to us, and it would be a shame to let this pass without us old uns having a chance to show just how much.

Well said

15 hours ago, 42nite said:

I've supported City since the early 60s so I can vividly remember Gerry Gow and all the other great players from that era. It's just that I've got different views on how people should be remembered. I think it would be better if there was a hall of fame for players such as Gerry Gow, which would be in addition to the photographs etc currently at Ashton Gate  

Consult the family. But my opinion is

Before the game, an announcement followed by a tribute with pictures and footage shown on the screens. This leads into a minutes silence.

On the 4th minute everyone who is able to rises to their feet and sing his song and clap and cheer. Repeat this again at 64 minutes. 

My issue with a minutes applause during the game is that it could get lost if something happens in the game during that minute. This happened in the last game against Forest when we got a free kick on the edge of area during the designated minute.

From the clubs website..

Tributes planned for the club's legendary midfielder.

• Gow to be honoured this weekend
  • Scottish midfielder lost his battle with cancer, aged 64
  • Both teams to don black armbands 
There will be a minute’s silence ahead of Saturday’s home game with Blackburn Rovers to mark the sad passing of Gerry Gow.

The legendary midfielder lost his battle with cancer earlier this month and as a tribute to Gow, both teams will wear black armbands in Saturday’s Sky Bet Championship encounter at Ashton Gate. 

Members of Gerry’s family will be present this weekend, as the club holds a minute’s silence ahead of kick-off. 

Supporters in the Atyeo Stand are already planning a display during the minute’s silence, whilst the big screen will be utilised to continue to the tributes. 

Meanwhile, Gerry’s funeral will take place at Easton Methodist Church, Easton Sq, Portland, Dorset , DT5 1BX on Friday, November 4th at 2pm, then on to Weymouth Crematorium for 3.15 pm before heading to South Portland Working Men's Conservative Club (Easton, DT5 1BX) to celebrate Gerry's life. All are welcome. 

Gow remains eighth on the club’s all-time list of appearances with 445, scoring 54 goals. 

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/minutes-silence-for-gerry-gow-3369499.aspx#CtADLrzoTb2LhFJI.99

It seems the norm now for a minutes applause which is fine but for me Gerry was out of the norm and deserves the minutes silence so we can all silently reflect on what a great player he was, quite simply he was far and away the best City player in my 50 years of following the club, for me it's going to be tough to keep a dry eye on Saturday.

Archived