IGNORED

For Attention Of Fans In Atyeo Stand - Gerry Gow

Harry

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/minutes-silence-for-gerry-gow-3369499.aspx

Hi everyone.

As you will hopefully have read on the official site (above), we are planning a tribute to Gerry Gow in the Atyeo Stand for the Blackburn match this Saturday.
We really need the support of everyone in the stand to make this work and for it to be part of a fitting tribute all across the ground for the great man.

The plan in the Atyeo is to have a Card Display which will spell 'GOW', and for this to be flanked by Red/Black flags.  We have ordered 180 Red/Black flags as we felt that some of the iconic pictures and memorable moments of Gerry came whilst wearing the red shirt with black shorts (of course there are many memories in our traditional colours, but some of the iconic photo's were in black shorts).
So, in order for the display to work, we need everyone who stands in the upper level to be involved.  So please spread the word amongst those who you know will be in there who may not read this, or see other social media.
We would like the flags to be flown high and proud as the teams emerge from the tunnel, and would then like the cards to be held up above your heads for the planned minutes silence.
Along the walkway we plan to hold up a new banner, as well as existing banners and Gow flags dotted around the lower tier.

So please please get involved and make this special.

The lads of Section 82 have also been in discussions with a group of fans in the South Stand, and around 80 or so of the Black/Red flags will be positioned in the South Stand - thanks guys for your support and ideas on this.
We also hope there may be the okay to unfurl the large 'Gow Head' flag in the Dolman - waiting for confirmation over the fire certificate on this one.

The chaps in the South Stand have also obtained some old footage and interviews of Gerry in his prime, and hopefully we might be able to get some of this edited and put up on the big screens, in conjunction with the plans the club already have for this.

So, lots planned for the great man.  Please get involved if there is a flag or card in your seat this week, and lets give Gerry a fitting tribute.  I'll be trying my best to co-ordinate the display in the Atyeo, but please make people aware if you know they are in the upper level on Saturday.

One more thing, the BCFC Sticker Club have printed a special batch of Gow stickers, which will be on sale on all 4 sides of the ground, and in the fanzone, so please look out for these and help contribute toward this special display.

Cheers
Harry

Sorry - I do have one more thing to add.  Please can those who use these flags NOT take them home.  The last time we spread flags over a wider area over £600 worth went walkies.  This is fan-funded, not club-funded, so if you would kindly leave the flags on/under your seat at the end of the game, that would be very much appreciated.

And a rousing chorus of "He's here, he's there, he's ..........................................................".

In the 1976-77 season, I worked for a company in West Street, Bedminster and our Sports Club bar held a "Testimonial Skittles evening" for Trevor Tainton. At this time, the Big Cheesley was trying to recover from what was his career ending knee injury. Lots of us were talking to him about it.

Gerry Gow suddenly joined the group and rolled up both trouser legs to show all and sundry the four scars on his knees where all his cartiledges had been removed. And followed this up with a broad smile on his face and a comment "You're just a big f*****g baby, Cheese!" Everyone including Paul just broke up and was typical of the spirit in the dressing room during that very hard first season in the First. He also told us that evening that he worked so hard to succeed as a footballer because the alternative of a life on the dole in Glasgow was unthinkable and unacceptable. 

RIP big man. A true City legend.

On 18/10/2016 at 23:12, Harry said:

Sorry - I do have one more thing to add.  Please can those who use these flags NOT take them home.  The last time we spread flags over a wider area over £600 worth went walkies.  This is fan-funded, not club-funded, so if you would kindly leave the flags on/under your seat at the end of the game, that would be very much appreciated.

I'm sure if you ask one of the stadium folk you know, they might ask the stewards to help with this one.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 20:09, BCFC1959 said:

Harry - do you need any help with the flags etc? Before or after the game

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 20:52, Dollymarie said:

Shout if I can be of any help :) 

Thanks both.  Yes, any additional help will be greatly received.
I'm picking up the 180 red/black flags on Saturday morning on the M4, so will be at Ashton Gate around 10:30 to set things up.
The chaps in the South Stand will be arriving to set up their end from about 12 onwards.

If anyone fancies joining us to help that'd be great.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Thanks both.  Yes, any additional help will be greatly received.
I'm picking up the 180 red/black flags on Saturday morning on the M4, so will be at Ashton Gate around 10:30 to set things up.
The chaps in the South Stand will be arriving to set up their end from about 12 onwards.

If anyone fancies joining us to help that'd be great.

Will be there with teenage foster son who can help too :) 

On 18/10/2016 at 23:12, Harry said:

You should contact the club to see if between you there could be a sign put up near the exit explaining this. 90% of the flags gone missing would have been a mistake, or at least you'd like to think so. 

BUMP

Please can everyone wave the black and red flags provided in the build up to the game. 

During the minutes silence please can everyone hold the cards above their heads. 

All of this combined will hopefully create our biggest display yet in honour of the late great Gerry Gow. 

Please treat the flags and card with respect and remind others as they cost money and we hope to use again. 

Enjoy the day and help pay our respects to a great and kick start or season.

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 20:16, Harry said:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/minutes-silence-for-gerry-gow-3369499.aspx

Hi everyone.

As you will hopefully have read on the official site (above), we are planning a tribute to Gerry Gow in the Atyeo Stand for the Blackburn match this Saturday.
We really need the support of everyone in the stand to make this work and for it to be part of a fitting tribute all across the ground for the great man.

The plan in the Atyeo is to have a Card Display which will spell 'GOW', and for this to be flanked by Red/Black flags.  We have ordered 180 Red/Black flags as we felt that some of the iconic pictures and memorable moments of Gerry came whilst wearing the red shirt with black shorts (of course there are many memories in our traditional colours, but some of the iconic photo's were in black shorts).
So, in order for the display to work, we need everyone who stands in the upper level to be involved.  So please spread the word amongst those who you know will be in there who may not read this, or see other social media.
We would like the flags to be flown high and proud as the teams emerge from the tunnel, and would then like the cards to be held up above your heads for the planned minutes silence.
Along the walkway we plan to hold up a new banner, as well as existing banners and Gow flags dotted around the lower tier.

So please please get involved and make this special.

The lads of Section 82 have also been in discussions with a group of fans in the South Stand, and around 80 or so of the Black/Red flags will be positioned in the South Stand - thanks guys for your support and ideas on this.
We also hope there may be the okay to unfurl the large 'Gow Head' flag in the Dolman - waiting for confirmation over the fire certificate on this one.

The chaps in the South Stand have also obtained some old footage and interviews of Gerry in his prime, and hopefully we might be able to get some of this edited and put up on the big screens, in conjunction with the plans the club already have for this.

So, lots planned for the great man.  Please get involved if there is a flag or card in your seat this week, and lets give Gerry a fitting tribute.  I'll be trying my best to co-ordinate the display in the Atyeo, but please make people aware if you know they are in the upper level on Saturday.

One more thing, the BCFC Sticker Club have printed a special batch of Gow stickers, which will be on sale on all 4 sides of the ground, and in the fanzone, so please look out for these and help contribute toward this special display.

Cheers
Harry

Harry mate

By my reckoning you are too young to see the great man play.

Despite, you and the other lads are doing something which warms the heart.

"He's here, he's there, he's every friggin where, Gerry Gow", how many times must I have sung that.

On the pitch, he was a nasty so and so, but he was our nasty so and so, but he could play too.

I met him just the once off the pitch, down at Southampton, before a game a few years ago. He was with his son in a pub full of City fans before a game against City. I will confess, I kissed him on the cheek. Don't know who was more shocked, me or him.

If I could choose just one game not to miss this season, it would be this one, just to witness what you lads have arranged. Sods law I have a flight out of Bristol at 5pm.

Absolute respect to all of you doing this, and of course to one of the best footballers that will ever wear a Bristol City shirt.

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

Harry mate

By my reckoning you are too young to see the great man play.

Despite, you and the other lads are doing something which warms the heart.

"He's here, he's there, he's every friggin where, Gerry Gow", how many times must I have sung that.

On the pitch, he was a nasty so and so, but he was our nasty so and so, but he could play too.

I met him just the once off the pitch, down at Southampton, before a game a few years ago. He was with his son in a pub full of City fans before a game against City. I will confess, I kissed him on the cheek. Don't know who was more shocked, me or him.

If I could choose just one game not to miss this season, it would be this one, just to witness what you lads have arranged. Sods law I have a flight out of Bristol at 5pm.

Absolute respect to all of you doing this, and of course to one of the best footballers that will ever wear a Bristol City shirt.

That sounds like the game my son was at, and rang me excitedly to tell me he'd met Gerry, sending me a picture of them both.

My son was born 9 years after Gerry left Ashton Gate, but he still had the respect and hero status to a group of young lads who had never seen him play.

A true legend to all City fans, young and old.

Great stuff by @Harry and the rest of the Atyeo lads and lasses to organise the tribute, I'm sure it will be a very moving day.

Fantastic effort @Harry and all those in the Atyeo :clap::clap::clap:

Thought the cards looked great and the Red n Black flags looked really impressive especially when those in South Stand were flying too 

A great display for a true legend , especially as many of you weren't lucky enough to see the great man play 

And again, Great noise again Atyeo :thumbsup:

Archived