IGNORED

877 tickets left for Blackburn

DavidNoble

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I find it hard to describe a city the size of Bristol as a "football city" when two clubs have a combined average of around 25,000 over the past 20-30 years or so. Compare that to almost any other city in the country of comparable size and it doesn't stack up well.

Not having ever experienced PL football is only a partial excuse in my opinion, not least because football didn't start in 1992.

Love it or hate the premier league is in-your face marketed as the only league to be in and for a certain type of modern fan it is the only league they will watch/show interest in. I actually think it has a far greater influence then you suggest in making fans come to a ground and then stay coming. The question is how many that is and for what reason. Perhaps new 'fans' would come to see the opposition in the first instance(man u, arsenal etc) but then become fans over time. Younger fans especially.

I had a quick look at Portsmouth who we regularly played in the lower leagues and who had similar average attendances to us in the 90's (circa 12-13k). When they reached the PL they generally reached close to capacity of 20-21k and even now they are in the bottom division they attract 15-16k average. Like I say needs more closer inspection. I would hedge my bets though that City going in an out of the PL would add 15-20% longer term through the gates with only a slow drift down from this (depending on the club is doing).

8 minutes ago, hantsred said:

Love it or hate the premier league is in-your face marketed as the only league to be in and for a certain type of modern fan it is the only league they will watch/show interest in. I actually think it has a far greater influence then you suggest in making fans come to a ground and then stay coming. The question is how many that is and for what reason. Perhaps new 'fans' would come to see the opposition in the first instance(man u, arsenal etc) but then become fans over time. Younger fans especially.

I had a quick look at Portsmouth who we regularly played in the lower leagues and who had similar average attendances to us in the 90's (circa 12-13k). When they reached the PL they generally reached close to capacity of 20-21k and even now they are in the bottom division they attract 15-16k average. Like I say needs more closer inspection. I would hedge my bets though that City going in an out of the PL would add 15-20% longer term through the gates with only a slow drift down from this (depending on the club is doing).

Absolutely agree that Premier League football draws certain people in like nothing else, and I accept that a period in the top division would have a lasting impact on our attendances. But I don't consider Bristol to be a "footballing city".

Historically, the true footballing cities in my mind are the ones where there have been very large working class communities, from which large and consistently well-supported clubs have emerged; think Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, London. Bristol doesn't really fit that description.

Barnsley were of a similar size to us when they got promoted, pretty sure that in the couple of season before they went to the Prem gates were comparable as we're expectations.

Obviously they got a few things wrong (like allowing Ridsdale to get involved with the club), but they'd be a good comparison.

So today's crowd of 21,452 minus the alleged 556 from Blackburn means at least 20,896 were City fans which is more than the number of City fans at the Newcastle game in August. (Total: 22,512 minus 2,501 of which were from Newcastle meaning 20,011 home fans).

Let's hope the Hull attendance will be okay, 14k+?

On 2016-10-21 at 14:58, hantsred said:

..there are currently 45 clubs in the leagues who have not been in the PL and based on current average attendances we sit comfortably in the top 3... so you would have to say, along with being perennial underachievers, we are getting great support for a club that has not had the PL effect on swelling our numbers. ~20k average is a fine target for now with or without mates rate offers.

Ave attendance (current season)
Brighton & Hove Albion 25755
Huddersfield Town 20037
Bristol City 19886
Preston North End 12305
Brentford 9799
Rotherham United 9743
Bristol Rovers 8943
Plymouth Argyle 8706
Millwall 8463
Luton Town 7765
Peterborough United 6934
Southend United 6254
Northampton Town 6077
Gillingham 5879
Chesterfield 5519
Grimsby Town 5119
Carlisle United 5018
Notts County 4908
Shrewsbury Town 4883
Burton Albion 4871
Doncaster Rovers 4810
Leyton Orient 4633
AFC Wimbledon 4522
Cambridge United 4452
Walsall 4436
Port Vale 4425
Scunthorpe United 4406
Crewe Alexandra 3994
Exeter City 3957
Bury 3758
Rochdale 3745
Hartlepool United 3670
Oldham Athletic 3426
Mansfield Town 3421
Colchester United 3407
Yeovil Town 3213
Wycombe Wanderers 3153
Fleetwood Town 3040
Cheltenham Town 3014
Stevenage 2624
Newport County 2484
Crawley Town 2257
Morecambe 2179
Accrington Stanley 1956
Barnet 1752

we are now head and shoulders the undisputed best supported team never to have graced the premiership!! (not withstanding these average attendances were done back in October)

2 hours ago, hantsred said:

we are now head and shoulders the undisputed best supported team never to have graced the premiership!! (not withstanding these average attendances were done back in October)

That's quite amazing tbf 

Not sure you could make it a pub quiz question and I'm not sure whether it's good or bad?

I was speaking to someone today who said they have been 50 clubs who played in the Premier Leauge.

It is really shocking for all the money and investment SL have put into the club we are still miles away from promotion to the top flight.

4 minutes ago, bs3 said:

I was speaking to someone today who said they have been 50 clubs who played in the Premier Leauge.

It is really shocking for all the money and investment SL have put into the club we are still miles away from promotion to the top flight.

I don't know about miles away. For all we know we could be a season away. Huddersfield finished 19th last year.

Archived