IGNORED

What a ball...

Vincent Vega

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tomlin was the difference. The one player with that little bit of extra ability on the pitch today.

He had a cracking game.

Yup just harder to appreciate in a game like that. His quality didn't show as much because no one else was on his level. Great ball but at the time I was quite angry the ref didn't call it back. TA would've been the only option in the box and taking him out meant Wilbs on 3-4 defenders. Fair play he got a shot off even though he was lucky with the deflection 

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tomlin was the difference. The one player with that little bit of extra ability on the pitch today.

He had a cracking game.

Can't agree RR, he was good/ok, but as I alluded to on another thread especially in and around the centre of the pitch and especially in the 2nd half he gave away possession very casually at times, but I have to say in and around the box he is a completely different animal, he comes alive.

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Wasn't a good ball as defender should have cut it out.  

I think that's what made it a good ball. Driven with such pace that it gave the defenders problems. Should've probably done better but sometimes quality beats defences and why big money is spent on talented players. 

6 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Really good composure by Wilbraham after Tammy got taken out. I think he has been very, very impressive this season when he's come on. 

Wilbs has been an exceptional player for us...from his first appearance and his opening goal and that flick on for Wade to score at Sheff. United. Shame we didn't get him here earlier in his career. Model pro.

At the time I was wishing it was anyone else on the receiving end of the pass. 

Our mid 30's right footed target man running the channel with the ball on his left foot when our top goalscorer is taken out off the ball was hardly an ideal scenario. And then have a shot that wasn't hit that cleanly get deflected and go in. 

Went mental when it went it, and though over the course of the game it may have been harsh on Blackburn, we were certainly the better side in the second half.

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think that's what made it a good ball. Driven with such pace that it gave the defenders problems. Should've probably done better but sometimes quality beats defences and why big money is spent on talented players. 

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He was facing the wrong way to effectively deal with that pass, it was a great pass.

Will certainly watch it again but just looked clumsy to me 

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He had a cracking game.

Are you serious ??

You obviously are :o

Gonna be controversial

All a matter of opinion but was watching him and he did nothing to help us when they had the ball and was very mixed , at best on it

No one is asking him to run 30 yards backward when we are defending but I was dissapointed he didn't even jog to find space when we had the ball

Thats the sort of player he is , but he could work a little bit harder , ability or not 

no doubt as talented as anyone on the pitch but he had a free role with no responsibility and IMO can effect the game more than he did today

His pass for the goal was decent but he is very much a luxury type  - ( fine as long as he contributes offensively )

TIn Hat On ;)

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Can't agree RR, he was good/ok, but as I alluded to on another thread especially in and around the centre of the pitch and especially in the 2nd half he gave away possession very casually at times, but I have to say in and around the box he is a completely different animal, he comes alive.

That's what you get with players as gifted as Tomlin. Great touch with quick feet, with a goal in them as well as the vision and quick thinking to play a pass as we saw today.

But.....the price you pay is that not so incisive pass every so often. 

Same with goal poachers like Tony "tap-in" Thorpe.  Do bugger all throughout 89mins and then pop up with the winner.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Are you serious ??

You obviously are :o

Gonna be controversial

All a matter of opinion but was watching him and he did nothing to help us when they had the ball and was very mixed , at best on it

No one is asking him to run 30 yards backward when we are defending but I was dissapointed he didn't even jog to find space when we had the ball

Thats the sort of player he is , but he could work a little bit harder , ability or not 

no doubt as talented as anyone on the pitch but he had a free role with no responsibility and IMO can effect the game more than he did today

His pass for the goal was decent but he is very much a luxury type  - ( fine as long as he contributes offensively )

TIn Hat On ;)

Is this turning into a Jet style discussion?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's what you get with players as gifted as Tomlin. Great touch with quick feet, with a goal in them as well as the vision and quick thinking to play a pass as we saw today.

Same with goal poachers like Tony "tap-in" Thorpe.  Do bugger all throughout 89mins and then pop up with the winner.

and thereby lies the conundrum because what you also get is a midfield pairing of 2 workhorses, who have to cover for those inconsistencies.

I am not criticising in way shape or form because he is a great player but the pairing of Smith, GON and or Pack need to be fully tuned in, I think as LJ alluded to in his post match comments, perhaps a couple of early goals might help.

Lee Tomlin...great player for me. And there are points in matches, maybe not today, when he really puts in a shift and covers the ground. He has the keys to unlock defences, which few others have at this level...and what he lacks Gary O'Neil has in abundance.

And what's more he appreciates the support he's given...gave the longest applause to the travelling fans at QPR...

It would be a pity if he were to feel people getting on his back...

18 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Wilbs has been an exceptional player for us...from his first appearance and his opening goal and that flick on for Wade to score at Sheff. United. Shame we didn't get him here earlier in his career. Model pro.

Value for money you'd struggle to find a better signing. That chance meeting in Dubai, if it was true, was one stroke of luck for us indeed. 

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Agree. He's a player who you need to accommodate - by playing 2 holding midfielders for instance - but he's every bit worth his lack of incisiveness around the half way line for what he brings further up. 

And I think we can afford to have him. Many call for us to have 2 strikers. The reason we don't is simply because Tomlin, whilst playing CAM, offers as much as a 2nd ST on the halfway line or in defence. And that's absolutely fine. He only gets called out because in the final third he's most effective being a creator in the CAM so people expect him to be able to defend, but the reality is he is our second striker without being 'on the shoulder'. 

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He had a cracking game.

i also can't agree.

he failed to track his man every time he lost possession, and looked a little off the pace, BUT...his trickery is important to us and his control when he is around the box is important to allow other players to get involved.

Today wasn't his best by a mile.

Archived