IGNORED

Difficult game but three points.

Robbored

41 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

At QPR O'Dowda played on the wing specifically, I'd assume, to offer pace. Which he did in the first half. What he lacked was the ability to beat his man with his final ball...QPR's defenders were every bit as "body-on-the-line" as Blackburn's appeared to be yesterday. One of Brownhill's qualities appears to be his ability to run at opponents with the ball at his feet and create openings. But again, whilst that worked in the first half at Sheff. Weds it's not worked so well since.

Like you Spud I can see what LJ is trying to do and I admire him for it. And I respect the fact that he's seeking to field a side to fit the occasion and opposition. I'd hope (and expect) that as the players get used to each other and grow in confidence the one-touch play will be come more effective. But in the next few weeks we have trips to Barnsley (on a roll), Birmingham (one of the best sides in the division) and Reading and at home to Brighton, who should have gone up last year. Anyone expecting to see us rip any of those sides apart with champagne football may be disappointed! But we can hope and I have more optimism that we can compete at this level than I've had for many years.

Watched Burton Albion v Birmingham on Friday, other than the opening 15 minutes Birmingham were poor, Cotterill was their main danger man but drifted out of the game and was eventually taken off. Burton's physicality, pressing and endeavour easily overcame them.

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Watched Burton Albion v Birmingham on Friday, other than the opening 15 minutes Birmingham were poor, Cotterill was their main danger man but drifted out of the game and was eventually taken off. Burton's physicality, pressing and endeavour easily overcame them.

there's hope then! 

21 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Barnsley are hardly on a roll either. Their win yesterday was the first one since they won 4-0 at Wolves on September 13th. Since then they`ve lost five and drawn one.

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic! But I'm thinking that by any standards they've had a decent start to their Championship campaign.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

I'll tell you where we could improve Joe...very simple...movement off the ball.

Our players get the ball, but then have very few options to pass again. Release then move...not release then stand still. Very basic errors today.

Also on occasion today...we had Tammy, Freeman and Patterson, just stood in a line, hanging off the shoulder of their opponent. No movement...just stood still. The only player coming for the ball or moving was Tomlin, and he did it in fits and starts. It's no wonder we were going sideways and backward so much.

The build up play is so slow and methodical...it allows opponents to get organised. We go backwards to try and draw them out...but then the likes of Freeman hang on to the ball for to long.

If we are going to play this way, the ball has to be played crisper and faster...one touch and move. too much fannying around.

I think LJ is alluding to play this way, but the players just aren't doing it atm.

Spot on. We look out of ideas in the final third. At least Paterson's not afraid to take a shot. This playing it high and through the middle to Tammy doesn't play to his strengths. He likes a quick low delivery from the wings. How he's scored all his goals. Has more space with Wilbs, but we really can't start with Wilbs. 

15 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic! But I'm thinking that by any standards they've had a decent start to their Championship campaign.

Yep, they've had a good start. And they will definitely score next week. We must must score first. Think we'll need 2 goals to win.

3 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Yep, they've had a good start. And they will definitely score next week. We must must score first. Think we'll need 2 goals to win.

I guess the test I apply is how confident I'll feel when I set off to the match...I won't be driving to Barnsley expecting them to be anything other than on the front foot and up for a match against LJ...if I'm on the train to Brum I'll be thinking they are a side with an excellent home record and a talented manager...and Reading is one of those grounds where we never seem to play well when I'm there (so perhaps I should stay at home!)...and Brighton will be a really tough match.

That said, I'll be looking forward to some great contests. We could lose any or all of them...or we could win all four. It's that sort of season.

Archived