IGNORED

Team for Tuesday

JasonM88

Given it's a cup game I'd really like to see Lucic given a chance, I'd hope to see him pushing for no 1 next season. 

Matthews and Korey are likely to be rested I'd imagine, and i feel Tammy could do with a rest, who would play if Engvalls not fit yet **** knows, but hopefully he's fit for at least 45 mins. 

Thoughts?

51 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Given it's a cup game I'd really like to see Lucic given a chance, I'd hope to see him pushing for no 1 next season. 

Matthews and Korey are likely to be rested I'd imagine, and i feel Tammy could do with a rest, who would play if Engvalls not fit yet **** knows, but hopefully he's fit for at least 45 mins. 

Thoughts?

I'm interested to see what team he plays on Tuesday. Appreciate we've mixed the squad around in last rounds but I think with games being away that's been a factor.

However, on Tuesday home to a struggling premiership team with a real opportunity to progress and you would think a potentially bigger team in the next round, which would provide an increases income stream, decent draw at home and a sold out gate, plus possible TV money.

On the flip side, as mentioned elsewhere, we've a number of away games this month and tough games especially Birmingham and Brighton. It's an interesting dilemma for Johnson

I wonder if Mathews gets another 60 mins to get his match fitness up. Lucic I agree with and most of the rest of JDs' team but maybe Engvall to start (if fit enough) and Wilb's after an hour, but I'd tell Paterson and Odowda to give some real width.

We're playing for a place in the quarter finals, against a team we have a good chance of beating, at home, with the possibility of meeting a huge team in the next round. And if we don't get a huge team, then we would have a better chance of making the semis!

Seems we have become so accustomed to playing early round cup games that no-one has quite woken up to the fact that we're actually heading for the latter stages in this one!

I expect one or two changes simply because Johnson hinted that some players were "leggy" on the radio yesterday, but I'd be playing as strong a team as possible if it was me. I see this is as a big opportunity.

23 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We're playing for a place in the quarter finals, against a team we have a good chance of beating, at home, with the possibility of meeting a huge team in the next round. And if we don't get a huge team, then we would have a better chance of making the semis!

Seems we have become so accustomed to playing early round cup games that no-one has quite woken up to the fact that we're actually heading for the latter stages in this one!

I expect one or two changes simply because Johnson hinted that some players were "leggy" on the radio yesterday, but I'd be playing as strong a team as possible if it was me. I see this is as a big opportunity.

I fully agree with what you say. I think the fact that ticket sales haven't been mentioned, suggests they aren't that good, even at an excellent price. I really hope that there are at least 15,000 there. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Totally agree , we're home against a team low in confidence, going to be a tough game but a real chance for us to progress. 

The additional profile that a place in the QF'S would provide is huge and possibly make us more attractive to players as a progressive club in January?

Bit rough on ROD to play Lucic. He's been warming the bench for quite a while now and maybe give him a game? I get the interest in Lucic though as he looks promising.

Also, is Little fit enough to start? Matthews is still getting his fitness back so I would prefer him start and play say 60 mins to help with that.

Will be surprised if Hull don't make a lot of changes.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Paterson is cup-tied.

my team (assuming Reid and Freeman out)

Lucic

Little, Flint, Moore, Golbourne

O'Dowda, Smith, Pack, Bryan

Engvall, Wilbraham

Subs: O'Donnell, Matthews, Magnússon, Brownhill, O'Neil, Abraham, Tomlin 

Think this looks quite good with perhaps ROD in goal instead of Lucic. Good to try 2 up top for a change. We have the options to change if we struggle with perhaps Wilbraham (or Tomlin) dropping back behind Abraham as a change for Engvall if he runs out of steam. Good chance to progress though so we don't want to be playing to many fringe players. Would love to see some real width as Blackburn did against us on both flanks on Saturday.

13 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Thoughts?

Surely  Korey will want games now to get right back in to match mode. Certainly agree I'm giving Tammy a rest

As for Matthews I would play Moore to give him more game time at right back.

I personally not sure we can make the playoffs but we have a great chance of beating Hull and reaching the quarter finals.

Football is about winning and the glory that comes with that.

A good cup run will increase the feel good factor , increase confidence, increase a winning mentality and increase the good national publicity we are getting, which only be a good thing when it comes to attracting players.

Some of my best memories involve cup matches beating Liverpool, Chelsea and even the cup run when we beat beat Cov and drew with Boro at home with that great goal from Murray and then getting beaten by penalties at the Riverside.

Great memories which adds to the history of this club.

Lets make more history Tuesday and go out and beat Hull and then we will have more memories and more glory.

O'Donnell 

Little     Flint               Magnusson   Golbourne 

Pack       Brownhill 

O'Dowda         Reid         Paterson 

Engvall 

Subs Fielding  Matthews  Bryan  Smith  Paterson  Tomlin  Abraham 

52 minutes ago, Healeyred96 said:

O'Donnell 

Pack       Brownhill 

Engvall 

Pato`s cup tied.

54 minutes ago, Healeyred96 said:

O'Donnell 

Pack       Brownhill 

Engvall 

Oh forgot about that one freeman for Paterson 

Amazed how many people are picking almost second-string teams for this game. Do we want to reach the quarter finals of a major cup competition or not?

I understand the argument for resting players. But we have no midweek game next week and a 2 week international break soon after that. In fact, we only have 3 games scheduled for the whole of November.

Imagine picking an under-strength team, losing by the odd goal, and then seeing Hull draw Arsenal at home in the next round. And all because we have a league game at Barnsley four days later. Surely we should be going for it?!

2 hours ago, bs3 said:

I personally not sure we can make the playoffs but we have a great chance of beating Hull and reaching the quarter finals.

Football is about winning and the glory that comes with that.

A good cup run will increase the feel good factor , increase confidence, increase a winning mentality and increase the good national publicity we are getting, which only be a good thing when it comes to attracting players.

Some of my best memories involve cup matches beating Liverpool, Chelsea and even the cup run when we beat beat Cov and drew with Boro at home with that great goal from Murray and then getting beaten by penalties at the Riverside.

Great memories which adds to the history of this club.

Lets make more history Tuesday and go out and beat Hull and then we will have more memories and more glory.

I wouldnt really call beating Hull making history.

15 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

This time next year Tuesday's game will be history, beat them or not :whistle:

Quarter finals, kind draw bags of luck ????? Who knows, I remember the run in 89/90 started slowly and the early rounds didn't  tell of the excitement to come, although Oxford was brilliant, 4-2 away wins don't come every day (checking online for details, it's an age/drink thing). Didn't start thinking about actually doing something in the competition until Bradford away, long night !

Be great to get near a semi (stop it ) , chances are few and far between , it will take a lot of luck but who knows. They will be tough Tuesday but they have bigger things on their minds , so you never know. 

That said, I would start with Engvall (if fit) or Wilbs, just to give Tammy a rest. Mathews could do with another run to help fitness, Moore  on the hour? Lucic and Odowda also would start, and I'd like Bobby in as well. Korey could do with another run to aid fitness, so I could see 3 changes , maybe 4 but the shape and strength of the team won't change.  Nice having options.

47 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

Getting into the quarter finals of a major cup, wen haven't done that for a while , beating a team from the top flight , we haven't done that for a while.

My point is it could be a great night on Tuesday , I would hate to see us going out with a wimper playing an under strength team and then giving up the chance of playing one of the big boys in the quarter finals at home in front of 27,000.

I'd really like us to win but I do think we need to rest Tammy, at least for the first hour.  He's clearly a bit jaded and we need to look after him.

Not sure on Smith - he needs to get his match fitness up but he might not be ready for two games in four days.  I'd like Lucic and Moore to get another game but that would be a gamble...

2 hours ago, Healeyred96 said:

O'Donnell 

Pack       Brownhill 

Engvall 

Even if Paterson wasn't cup-tied, he can only be selected once...

7 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Getting into the quarter finals of a major cup, wen haven't done that for a while , beating a team from the top flight , we haven't done that for a while.

My point is it could be a great night on Tuesday , I would hate to see us going out with a wimper playing an under strength team and then giving up the chance of playing one of the big boys in the quarter finals at home in front of 27,000.

I know what your saying,getting into the last eight would be great its just the name Hull sounds so shit.

Lee will surely pick his best 11. Great chance of making the last eight against a poor Hull side. Cant see him resting any of our big guns. Feel that we will start with 2 up top so expect the team that finished the game Saturday will start Tuesday and will be plenty good enough to turn our Premiership visitors over. 

Archived