IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V Hull City evening match thread

where's the joy

Very enjoyable game of football to watch indeed. We played some lovely stuff at times, well for most of the second half and at times in the first half. Thought Lee was quite sensible with his changes tonight as others have said the league is definitely more important imo especially considering we are in the playoffs(long way to go of course). Only thing i'd have liked was Tomlin & Tammy to come on right at the start of the second half. That extra 15mins might have been enough to have got us a draw/get us through.

8 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Scott Golbourne apart from Saturday hasn't featured much at all, Wilbraham starting a game? Engvall's first game in England, O'donell is the second choice keeper, Taylor Moore in his second match at centre half this season, Mark Little.. Really?

So you don't think that's the majority of our second stringers?

Did you go to the game?

Went along last night, took my three girls, first night game for the two eldest and first game for the youngest. All 3 came out asking when we were next going and saying how much they enjoyed the match, even thought the team in orange got more scores than us (as my youngest put it!). End of the day, we may have lost, LJ may have got the team selection wrong (personally I thought it was a strong enough line-up to beat a poor 'Ull side, a side that created absolutely nothing apart from the two goals, which were down to defensive lapses and not good play) and we may not have reached the QFs of a cup, but I came away last night feeling entertained, having witnessed a good game AND a good performance, we have 3 new fans (the middle one was drifting towards the rugby thanks to my parents!) and we're still 6th in the league. So all in all, not a bad night in the grand scheme of things, was it?

Ah well, looks like it'll just be a league and FA cup double this year, never mind!

Close game last night, no shame in losing by 1 goal to a Prem team.  We seem to have all slated Hull, but the fact is their team is too strong for the Championship, but just not good enough for the Premier League.  Disappointed not to progress, but at least we've enjoyed a longer stay in the League Cup this year... all bodes well for our development.

I enjoyed the game last night and was pleased to see Engvall play and Moore in his favoured position.

Imo we played better than on saturday or Cardiff (which I only saw on tv tbh). So while we may have made a lot of changes I am not sure, from the last few games, that it actually weakened the team. Which to me is a real bonus.

Feel we still need some more quality out wide ( Hull's crosses were sooo much better than ours) and a quality front man but apart from that quite excited by the youth and depth of our squad.

It was always going to be interesting to see the team picked for tonight .

The fringe players would have been really demotivated if after playing their bit to get to this stage suddenly Lee ignores them.

This could have caused a rupture in the coach / player relationship which could be very damaging for the squad.

They now know that they can trust LJ and should be highly motivated to do well for him .

Personally , disappointed not to have won but we were n't thrashed by à Prem side and can learn lots from the game .

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Thank you . Some balance to the moaning .

Hull ' owned us last season. They are a big side with class players .

We are literally not in their league at the moment.

Hull have a far bigger squad than City and can afford to make numerous changes without weakening the team too much.

Bristol City can't. The League Cup at this stage may not be a big deal for Hull, but it should be for us.

The fact Hull perhaps didn't take it as seriously as the league doesn't mean City should have followed suit. 

Quite the opposite. Knowing PL teams are liable to make numerous changes to include fringe players is all the more reason for City to put out a strong team because the chance of an upset should increase.

With a stronger team, notably once Tomlin was on the pitch, an upset against this 'big side with class players' was very much on the cards. They couldn't handle Tomlin at all.

This is a game we could have won, but it seems for whatever reason we were happy to send out a severely weakened team and be content with gallant defeat.

Very disappointing.

12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Just in from the match and that's bloody cobblers.

What was I expecting?

City to bloody well go for it against a very beatable Hull side.

Not leaving out 4 of our best players and handing the initiative to them.

We're not Chelsea or Man. Utd, we can't afford to put out a near 2nd team, and the League Cup, at this stage, was extremely important to Bristol City and the fans.

Yours is a really s*** comment from someone who didn't even attend, and many of us who did attend feel very let down by the selection tonight.

Bravo. Could not have put it better myself. 

12 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

A team that's already been pointed out played 6 in 21 days.

Its called rotation and without it we would seriously compromise our league position and dare I say it put our league status at risk. 

So superfan tell me, because I didn't attend tonight and you did; your opinion (and that's what it is) is more valid than mine?

Oh while we're at it, if you had all the answers you'd be the Manager....I'll make it easy for you; you're not. 

Rotation was what all of the so called big gun premiership teams did last year and non tinkering Leicester won the league. We played our best side against West Ham under Cotterill and still won the league and cup. Rotation is bollox. You have got to play to stay sharp and switched on. We conceded from two sloppy defensive errors because our defence was rotated. So you can stick rotation where the sun don't shine. 

12 hours ago, Cardy said:

What's the point in progressing through the early rounds to then go & do that tonight though - just seems like a completely pointless exercise & also a lack of respect to the fans that made the efforts to go to Wycombe, Scunthorpe & Fulham in the hope that we might get to the later rounds & secure a glamour tie.

I just don't get it - 9 changes is ridiculous, we aren't blinking Liverpool for goodness sake & we were playing for a place in the quarter finals. As soon as the line up was announced it killed any chance of an atmosphere as people knew we weren't taking it seriously & we have basically just treated it like a friendly & given the game to Hull. The really sad thing is that Hull were bang average & completely beatable if we had given it a proper go for the first 70 mins.

To be honest I've got no major issue with any of the above if this was the strategy & the club is honest with us from the offset. However you shouldn't be coming out in the lead up to match saying that the quarter finals would be amazing & you need the supporters behind you when in reality you're not even going to give your own team the best chance of achieving that objective.

I'm done with cup games from now on. If the manager can't be arsed to pick his best team against a Prem team with a decent prize at stake then something is wrong. Yes, I know it only cost me £13 for me & my boy but it just felt like a wasted night out having made the effort to get down there & support the team.

Absolutely 100% spot on. Sneaky move by the club.

How many of you "let's have a nice love-in and be happy with defeat" mob have ever been involved in football management at any level? What happened last night was a total let down. That game was there to be won and we ripped the guts out of the regular side. What a shame! If anyone looked at our team sheet last night and thought we had a serious chance of winning then I'm sorry but you need to get your heads read and learn a bit more about the game and what breeds real success. Winning is a mentality. The more you win the more confident you become. Teams go on winning runs and also can go the other way if you lose. City got promoted to the first division under Alan Dicks by playing a settled side week in week out in all games, and they played on some right mud baths in those days. Collier played all the games, Merrick played all of the games, so did Gow, Ritchie and Tainton. Cashley played 100 consecutive first team games the night City won promotion. I honestly can't believe all of the positives about how well we played at the end. We would have had that from the start had we started our best 11 and would probably have gone two up instead of two behind. No good trying to chase a 2 goal deficit against a premiership side. Can't see the point of resting players but bringing them on to throw the kitchen sink at Hull. What sort of a rest is that?!!!! Better to start them and then bring them off if you want to rest them. It was a gamble from the start that had fail written all over it and that is exactly what happened. It isn't rocket science to see that either if you know anything at all about football.

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

Did the team last night play better than the "first team" against Cardiff, QPR, and Blackburn ?

In the second half when he brought on our best two players. He rotated for Cardiff and QPR and lost them both so I don't get your point?

13 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Just in from the match and that's bloody cobblers.

What was I expecting?

City to bloody well go for it against a very beatable Hull side.

Not leaving out 4 of our best players and handing the initiative to them.

We're not Chelsea or Man. Utd, we can't afford to put out a near 2nd team, and the League Cup, at this stage, was extremely important to Bristol City and the fans.

Yours is a really s*** comment from someone who didn't even attend, and many of us who did attend feel very let down by the selection tonight.

Don't go on with this Pack the gate bulls##t then treat people who have watched years of cup crap to a weak team selection against a team who only the other week got smashed for 6 by the mighty Bournemouth,its not hindsight so many fan's could see the chance to beat Hull City was chucked away without a ball being kicked all the fuss about it being a last 16 tie not been there since the 90's and people weren't snapping tickets up ..

Any wonder when they are treated like this ? 

Worth the 13 quid for the last ten mins alone, great goal, incidents and accidents (bit of Paul Simon for y'all there) was an exciting finale, had me praying for that elusive equaliser and extra time...

One of those games where it looked like the ball would never go in for us, made those last few mins exciting.. seeing all those leave ten mins from the end, why? you never know 'specially with City what last min dramas might occur anyway those that did go missed the best part of the game .. again!

Tangible difference for last half hour with the substitutions, Tomlin specially  made us look like a different team, subs would have been welcome at HT imo.

Not convinced with handball decision against Tammy when nicely through .. looked like back of shoulder to me, anyone sure? anyway that incident would/could have changed result, looked very promising til ref blew..

Don't leave early unless you have to - you often miss 'the best bit'..

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Rotation was what all of the so called big gun premiership teams did last year and non tinkering Leicester won the league. We played our best side against West Ham under Cotterill and still won the league and cup. Rotation is bollox. You have got to play to stay sharp and switched on. We conceded from two sloppy defensive errors because our defence was rotated. So you can stick rotation where the sun don't shine. 

Constructive advice 

17 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

How many of you "let's have a nice love-in and be happy with defeat" mob have ever been involved in football management at any level? What happened last night was a total let down. That game was there to be won and we ripped the guts out of the regular side. What a shame! If anyone looked at our team sheet last night and thought we had a serious chance of winning then I'm sorry but you need to get your heads read and learn a bit more about the game and what breeds real success. Winning is a mentality. The more you win the more confident you become. Teams go on winning runs and also can go the other way if you lose. City got promoted to the first division under Alan Dicks by playing a settled side week in week out in all games, and they played on some right mud baths in those days. Collier played all the games, Merrick played all of the games, so did Gow, Ritchie and Tainton. Cashley played 100 consecutive first team games the night City won promotion. I honestly can't believe all of the positives about how well we played at the end. We would have had that from the start had we started our best 11 and would probably have gone two up instead of two behind. No good trying to chase a 2 goal deficit against a premiership side. Can't see the point of resting players but bringing them on to throw the kitchen sink at Hull. What sort of a rest is that?!!!! Better to start them and then bring them off if you want to rest them. It was a gamble from the start that had fail written all over it and that is exactly what happened. It isn't rocket science to see that either if you know anything at all about football.

Exactly right.

Many seem as content as the manager with this 'gallant defeat' achieved by a severely and deliberately weakened City side who only really threatened after Tomlin came on

Hull were not a great team, far from it, and with a stronger selection from the start we'd very likely be in the midst of cup fever while eagerly anticipating the last 8 draw today.

There is no justification for this continual mass player rotation. One or two when necessary of course, but 4 every week is bonkers and 9 against a PL club is absolutely indefensible if your aim is to win. Since when could professional footballers not manage much the same frequency of games they've always had, especially with 3 subs. now allowed and seemingly always used?

Team selection was a massive let down, a once in a generation opportunity has been squandered, and I'm still bloody fuming!! :grr:

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Exactly right.

Many seem as content as the manager with this 'gallant defeat' achieved by a severely and deliberately weakened City side who only really threatened after Tomlin came on

Hull were not a great team, far from it, and with a stronger selection from the start we'd very likely be in the midst of cup fever while eagerly anticipating the last 8 draw today.

There is no justification for this continual mass player rotation. One or two when necessary of course, but 4 every week is bonkers and 9 against a PL club is absolutely indefensible if your aim is to win. Since when could professional footballers not manage much the same frequency of games they've always had, especially with 3 subs. now allowed and seemingly always used?

Team selection was a massive let down, a once in a generation opportunity has been squandered, and I'm still bloody fuming!! :grr:

Me too! (Although you would never have guessed?!) :laughcont:

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Exactly right.

Severely weakened? **** off was that side severely weakened.

It was weaker up front but that was all. Moore was fantastic and it was mistakes by 2 first team players that cost us, not any of the rotated ones.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Severely weakened? **** off was that side severely weakened.

It was weaker up front but that was all. Moore was fantastic and it was mistakes by 2 first team players that cost us, not any of the rotated ones.

Leaving out Tomlin, Hordur, Tammy and O'Neil obviously left us severely weakened as a team.

There is no dispute to be had here, these are amongst our very best players.

I don't agree Moore was 'fantastic' - he made one notable recovery tackle and looks much more suited and confident in central defence as opposed to full back, but he wasn't as assured, or as dominating in the air, as Magnusson.

Archived