IGNORED

Blinded by the boards

Erithacus

Is it just me? Having a seat fairly low in the South Stand did anyone else find it a bit difficult to see the play at the far end when those video advertising boards were displaying a white background? Are night games going to be prone to this?

OK, I'm an old duffer who needs better eyesight but sometimes the ball got lost in all the glare.:online2long:

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

This is one of the things about the modern stadiums that I detest, those moving advertising hoardings, especially when that little black dog goes running round. Totally unnecessary and so off putting.

I thought they were bad enough watching on the box, but it's worse in the ground. Thank God there aren't any in front of the Lansdown Stand!

13 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Didn't some fans in the Atyeo try that after one of Tammy's goals?

I do believe they did, all joking aside i suffer from Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) Saturday was a nightmare sat in the W/stand with that glare in my eyes, wont go in there again.

I normally sit in the Dolman but was in the South Stand/west stand corner last night and found the adverts really distracting. I normally sit here for rugby without a problem. I don't take much notice of the adverts but maybe they were different ones from normal last night for the cup? 

Also I don't think the lights in the stand were dimmed like normal last night. Usually five minutes into the match they are turned off until five minutes before half time, this didn't happen. I looked around the ground and the Dolman was still lit too I think. 

Also really glad someone has brought this up. I've been moaning about the advertising on the stadium sub-forum for a while now. The displays on these boards are specifically designed to draw your eyes away from the football - it's incredibly annoying! There's been a trend of them getting more extreme with flashing and animations etc. I hate it on tv and its worse at the ground.  I'm going to quote myself quoting banksy again: "the people who truly deface our neighbourhoods are the companies that scrawl giant slogans across buildings trying to make us feel inadequate unless we buy their stuff".

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Also I don't think the lights in the stand were dimmed like normal last night. Usually five minutes into the match they are turned off until five minutes before half time, this didn't happen. I looked around the ground and the Dolman was still lit too I think. 

The lights in the Dolman were on throughout the match. Unnecessary and unwarranted. Oh and annoying.

1 hour ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Also really glad someone has brought this up. I've been moaning about the advertising on the stadium sub-forum for a while now. The displays on these boards are specifically designed to draw your eyes away from the football - it's incredibly annoying! There's been a trend of them getting more extreme with flashing and animations etc. I hate it on tv and its worse at the ground.  I'm going to quote myself quoting banksy again: "the people who truly deface our neighbourhoods are the companies that scrawl giant slogans across buildings trying to make us feel inadequate unless we buy their stuff".

An advert for the Spire Clinic closely followed by one for a funeral company made me smile. Briefly :noexp:

Posted this on the stadium forum. They were awful and made it very hard to see; you couldn't pick out which team players played for if they were on the far side of the pitch.

Must even be hard for the players at times, I'm sure the Hull keeper blamed one dodgy kick on them.

Surely there must be an option to dim these for nighttime games, as it was just too bright. 

I won't be returning to the South/Lansdown stands for evening games as a result.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The lights in the Dolman were on throughout the match. Unnecessary and unwarranted. Oh and annoying.

They were left on in all the stands, even some in the unoccupied top level of the Lansdown Stand.

Bright balls of light shining across from all the exits in Lower West Stand too.

What happened to darkening the stands 5 minutes into the match and switching the lights on again just before h/t?

Leaving all these lights on throughout the game vastly reduces the previously special atmosphere of a night match.

11 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Is it just me? Having a seat fairly low in the South Stand did anyone else find it a bit difficult to see the play at the far end when those video advertising boards were displaying a white background? Are night games going to be prone to this?

OK, I'm an old duffer who needs better eyesight but sometimes the ball got lost in all the glare.:online2long:

Haven't you realised yet that football matches aren't played for you and me to watch and enjoy any more!  They are only played for tv companies and advertisers to push their products to the armchair watchers!

Being serious, I totally agree with you, these boards drive me bonkers.

Archived