IGNORED

Squad Rotation - on a Tuesday?! (Merged)

DirtySanchez

5 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I am a bit disappointed about the squad rotation for a Tuesday match. Lets hope it pays off on Saturday!

League>Cup

League is far more important, if it was a league game last night there wouldn't of been 9 changes there would of been 1 maybe 2

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

League>Cup

League is far more important, if it was a league game last night there wouldn't of been 9 changes there would of been 1 maybe 2

Lee always rotates the side a lot. Recently he's made 4 changes against Forest, 5 changes against Cardiff, 4 changes against QPR. Why would have last night have only been 1 or 2?

14 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I am a bit disappointed about the squad rotation for a Tuesday match. Lets hope it pays off on Saturday!

Why? Mistakes by Bryan & Flint for our goals, 2 first teamers. Last night was the best we've played all month.

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Lee always rotates the side a lot. Recently he's made 4 changes against Forest, 5 changes against Cardiff, 4 changes against QPR. Why would have last night have only been 1 or 2?

Because he'd learnt from the insipid performances against Cardiff and QPR that numerous changes can be far from beneficial?

A manager who routinely makes 3 or 4 changes every game will never know his best team, and that team will never have an opportunity to gel.

24 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Scraped it against Forest and lost the other 2. So that was well done wasn't it?!!!! We could have been second if he hadn't tinkered!

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

That was only recent examples... He's been doing it all season.

And we have got away with a few results. Only convincing performance was against Fulham. We have won having not been at our best, but that is as much to do with luck as it is with judgement, and you get very little time in football these days.

• Admin

There was no need to make 9 changes last night

That game was there for the taking, and putting the line up out that he did ultimately cost us the game

It wasn't a JPT fixture, it was the chance to get into the quarter finals of a major cup competition !

can't understand why LJ is making so many changes so often !!

I think generally if a player is carrying a slight knock or appears slightly fatigued in training Johnson won't pick him which is why he makes so many changes every game. He's been doing it all season not just the last 3-4 games, this is the benefit of having a competitive squad, we don't have to run our players into the ground like we did last season. There has been the odd exception like Tammy at Cardiff but that was probably down to necessity as Gustav wasn't fit and Wilbs isn't mobile enough to start matches on his own up top (LJ only seems to like starting him in a front two). So I think it's impossible to say how how we would've got on if he hadn't rested players as he would've left them out because he doesn't think that they'd be able to play as well as they can.

Also I've heard some people moaning that Johnson doesn't know his best eleven which is why he keeps making changes. I'm sure if everyone was 100% fit and in top form he'd know what team he'd pick but his best eleven will be different every game due to form, fitness and the opposition, he's not just going to pick his eleven favourite players no matter what.

47 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

League>Cup

Should Joe Jordan have rotated the team when we played Forest in 89? After all, we had a league game against Fulham just three days later.

Should Alan Dicks have rotated the team when we played Leeds in 74? After all, we had a league game against West Brom just four days later.

Should Osman have rotated the team when we played Liverpool in 94?

Can anyone remember the league games immediately before or after any of the cup games mentioned here?

Some of our best memories as City fans have come from cup games. Last night was a huge missed opportunity to make the later rounds for the first time in years.

6 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Should Joe Jordan have rotated the team when we played Forest in 89? After all, we had a league game against Fulham just three days later.

Should Alan Dicks have rotated the team when we played Leeds in 74? After all, we had a league game against West Brom just four days later.

Should Osman have rotated the team when we played Liverpool in 94?

Can anyone remember the league games immediately before or after any of the cup games mentioned here?

Some of our best memories as City fans have come from cup games. Last night was a huge missed opportunity to make the later rounds for the first time in years.

Did any of those seasons end in promotion?

Lee Johnson uses his whole squad, not a favoured eleven plus back up, get use to it, we do not have a "first eleven" and "reserves", we have a squad. If that works we will see the benefit in the second half of the season where our "squad" should be much fresher and have more all round match practise than our competitors.

This season could be very special (until we cock up in the Play Offs, as always, of cause)

....she'd be my Uncle!  Saying if LJ hadn't made changes we would have won last night etc etc is utter nonsense, because it's impossible to say.  Those same players who didn't start have had a hand in some poor performances in the last few games, so who's to say playing them from the start might have resulted in a bigger loss?

The team played great last night, and all the players who came in did really well, which they would cause they have all started games this season at some point.  It wasn't as though he played a team of kids.  Moore looked great, Engvall did well considering he's not played for ages, Pack and Reid had good games.  Yes when Tomlin and Tammy came on it changed the game, but the game was lost and we had nothing to lose, there is no guarantee they would have played like that from the start.

6 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Agree completely - Hull were low on confidence and we played the first half like a training session - can't remember a shot worth mentioning.Enjoyed the second half when we went for it but why not start like that?.

A big opportunity missed in my book and certainly not a guarantee of 3 points at Barnsley

8 minutes ago, mattjtsmith said:

Everybody is acting like we put out a group of 16 year olds. They're all players who have been in and around the first team all season. The exception being our £2m signing. Chill out!

Why should we?

Surely we deserve as paying customers that the best available side is put out?

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Are people really comparing the game in the 70's to now? It's a different universe, in terms of the physical demands on players. 

OK, take a more recent example. Bradford made it to the league cup final in 2012-13 and also achieved promotion in the same season. Why do so many people seem to think that success in the league and a cup run are mutually exclusive?

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

Also I've heard some people moaning that Johnson doesn't know his best eleven which is why he keeps making changes. I'm sure if everyone was 100% fit and in top form he'd know what team he'd pick but his best eleven will be different every game due to form, fitness and the opposition, he's not just going to pick his eleven favourite players no matter what.

Didn't LJ say in an interview recently he didn't know he best 11 yet?

Everyone wants money spent on a bigger squad then complains when we use it. Everyone wants youngsters to get experience and complain when they play. Everyone wants to see our 2m striker and complains when our loanee doesn't play. Everyone wants to go up but complains when we rest some starters in a cup game. Everyone wants the academy to be better and doesn't mention a young academy player made his debut but instead complains we lost to a premier league side. 

The focus isn't solely on any one game or competition. The focus is to improve the entire squad so that if we ever do make it to a late round in a cup or gain promotion we have a squad that can compete. It's not all about 2016-17. It's also about the next season and the season after. Last night is a performance that got 9 players who usually don't play some confidence and experience that will be invaluable to them. 

There's so much pre-occupation with the team selection, very few people actually seem to have appreciated what I thought was a pretty decent performance by the 11 out on the pitch.  Yes, two very soft goals conceded, but I thought it was an entertaining match from start to finish.  We enjoyed good spells of possession and created chances against what is ultimately, man-for-man, a better side.  If our so-called "reserve" side can play like that, then evidently we have a squad with decent depth, and indeed stronger than it's been for many years.

As per my comments in the lead up to the game, I was strongly in favour of playing our first 11 last night and I was as disappointed as anyone when I heard the team - but I can also appreciate the counter-argument for giving game time to squad players and preserving our best players for our number one priority.  It's not what I would have done, but I understand why he did it. 

There are far too many toys being thrown out of the pram.  People have even said they won't go to a cup game again!  I was at the Blackburn game on Saturday and I thought - result aside - this was a far better game with a grandstand finish and excellent value entertainment at £12 each.

I've also seen it said that our first 11 would definitely have won the game.  There are absolutely no guarantees that would have been the case.

Archived