IGNORED

Wes Burns - how's he doing?

SecretSam

11 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I think Bobby Reid is living proof that we shouldn't be writing players off at 21 years old

Bobby Reid went out on loan and impressed at Plymouth though. 

If a player isn't making their mark up in Scotland, it's highly unlikely they are going to have much impact in the Championship. 

He's apparently been sat on the bench mostly. Was a brave move for him to got here in the hope to get game time to continue his improvement, but cannot help it's just really distanced him from AG and the team, we now have so many youngsters vying for the same positions ( AM ) I can't help think he will be better off coming back in January staying here fighting for a spot / or a decent loan where he can get some game time.  Started 6 games ( played 1 full game and subbed 5 times) made 7 sub appearances.

ScreenShot_20161028140631.png 

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Bobby Reid went out on loan and impressed at Plymouth though. 

If a player isn't making their mark up in Scotland, it's highly unlikely they are going to have much impact in the Championship. 

I think we can be as sniffy as we like about Scottish football, but their top league isn't worse than English Div 3; especially as Aberdeen are one of the better teams up there. I don't deny that Wes' form appears to be disappointing, but it'd be foolish to write him off yet

13 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I think we can be as sniffy as we like about Scottish football, but their top league isn't worse than English Div 3; especially as Aberdeen are one of the better teams up there. I don't deny that Wes' form appears to be disappointing, but it'd be foolish to write him off yet

Writing him off completely may be a tad harsh, but would you want him back here and in contention for a place in the first team, after 1 goal and zero assists in 500 minutes of football up there..?

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Writing him off completely may be a tad harsh, but would you want him back here and in contention for a place in the first team, after 1 goal and zero assists in 500 minutes of football up there..?

I'd want him to be playing regular minutes and contributing up there to be honest, but I also want a Ferrari and speedboat and a house in the South of France! Wes has gone up there to try and improve, there is no intention of him playing for us this season. If he comes back next summer and is a better player then great. If he's not then we'll probably part ways. But players develop at different rates and I just think it's a bit premature to be writing him off. He's certainly never lacked effort when I've seen him play for us

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I'd want him to be playing regular minutes and contributing up there to be honest, but I also want a Ferrari and speedboat and a house in the South of France! Wes has gone up there to try and improve, there is no intention of him playing for us this season. If he comes back next summer and is a better player then great. If he's not then we'll probably part ways. But players develop at different rates and I just think it's a bit premature to be writing him off. He's certainly never lacked effort when I've seen him play for us

I'd give 100% effort if I got a game. I'm not good enough either..! 

Flicking through the Freesat channels last night I came across highlights of Hamilton 1 Aberdeen 0. Wes looked neat and tidy but was mainly out in the wing (same as here I guess) and was subbed around 70 minutes.  I think his pace makes it tempting for coaches to use him out wide, but I think he has performed best for Wales and they use him more as a central striker from what I have seen.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Flicking through the Freesat channels last night I came across highlights of Hamilton 1 Aberdeen 0. Wes looked neat and tidy but was mainly out in the wing (same as here I guess) and was subbed around 70 minutes.  I think his pace makes it tempting for coaches to use him out wide, but I think he has performed best for Wales and they use him more as a central striker from what I have seen.

Despite his physique & pace being ideal for a striker, from what I've ever seen of him he will only ever be a winger. IMO. 

He's the typical young player. A trick or two and pace but not much of an end product. That's what the loan is for. I want to see him playing centrally a bit more but you can't always have everything in a loan. Can't write him off yet but it needs to click soon. Could be a case of a new surrounding or the right coach. Bobby Reid is an example of that. Sporadic player for us under other managers and now one of our most consistent players and arguable one of the most important. 

Think this will be his last season with us.

Failed to take his chances here and in Scotland

Definitely not what we need as we plan a team capable of gaining promotion

Sad really as he promised so much and has delivered so very little

But we have been here too many times before

8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Think this will be his last season with us.

Failed to take his chances here and in Scotland

Definitely not what we need as we plan a team capable of gaining promotion

Sad really as he promised so much and has delivered so very little

But we have been here too many times before

I think this hits the nail on the head. 

We are no longer a club treading water and happy to accept languishing in L1 with the odd forray into the Championship. 

We need players who can take the club forward, onto the next level and that, unfortunately, doesn't include players like Wes Burns. I was genuinely excited when he broke into our team. Real pace that terrifies defenses, but very little end product. 

He will probably cut a career somewhere in L1 and do ok in spells, but we need better than that now. 

5 hours ago, Libertine1 said:

He did well on loan at Fleetwood Town at the end of last season. He'd have been better off there, or a similar club, again this season. A whole season to prove himself in League 1, playing week in week out.

Not only that but most likely would've had a better chance playing as a central striker in L1 as he did with Fleetwood when he secured a few. He's no winger IMO. 

I've seen him a few times for Aberdeen and he has looked lively. The BT Sport analysts including Chris Sutton have been complimentary about him. Aberdeen's consistent form (the Hamilton defeat aside) has made it difficult for him to cement a place in the team. I think we should reserve judgement on him until the end of the season.

47 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I've seen him a few times for Aberdeen and he has looked lively. The BT Sport analysts including Chris Sutton have been complimentary about him. Aberdeen's consistent form (the Hamilton defeat aside) has made it difficult for him to cement a place in the team. I think we should reserve judgement on him until the end of the season.

I think the intention would be that he would go there and achieve a bit more than 'look lively' and get a few complimentary comments from a pundit. We see so many players in football who 'look lively', are fast runners and are direct on the ball. 

I don't know all the context though, maybe he doesn't fit the formation. Brave decision to go all the way up there, but if it's not developing him as a player I hope we recall and put him elsewhere.

Not convinced he's a clever enough player to force his way into contention like Bobby or Joe. People saying don't write someone off because Reid didn't develop until later I agree with, however I think most agree that Reid has always has the technical skill and football intelligence but needed to develop some consistency and strength. Aside from his physical attributes (speed and jumping) I'm not sure Wes has the cleverness or ability on the ball to make it at Championship level. Hope he can prove me wrong though.

Archived