IGNORED

LJ's Football Philosophy- Barnsley PowerPoint

redordead1

Thought I'd dig this out following a comment from a Barnsley fan on another thread. Apologies if it's been posted before;

http://www.scienceandfootball.com/Uploads/sf-presentation---lee-johnson--nathan-winderpdf.pdf

Fair amount there that I think we'd all agree with, but no doubt a lot of pretty cringeworthy "PowerPoint speak" too.

Thoughts?

Does it reflect how we are currently set up?

Are our players capable of following such direction?

If he goes through a presentation like this before every game it's no wonder that it takes us until half time before we get going as the players are probably punch drunk when we kick off.

It raises some good points but is much too verbose etc I reckon.

Can roughly translate the key on the pitch points as:

1. Try to dominate the ball- including a sweeper keeper and rotation in midfield,
  2. Six second rule- a Pep innovation at Barcelona that, i.e. win it back it in 6 seconds or less.
  3. Press high and unified- and try to get a shot away quick when the opp arises.
  4. Play a high line.
  5. When weaknesses exposed, try to counteract them.

All principles I like, but why all that, 5 or 6 key principles is all that's needed in there! A lot of that is pointless wordiness I think.

31 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Mad Frankie as a sweeper keeper....:shocking:

And "fast gk distribution".  When I saw those two points, all I could think was "Frankie, get your coat"!

This looks fascinating to me.  I wonder how many of the team can cope with the principles?

One thing I've been impressed about by Johnson is just how many of the new recruits seem to be intelligent.  We might have the begining of a team who can understand the Excel graphs....

5 hours ago, Chivs said:

And "fast gk distribution".  When I saw those two points, all I could think was "Frankie, get your coat"!

This looks fascinating to me.  I wonder how many of the team can cope with the principles?

One thing I've been impressed about by Johnson is just how many of the new recruits seem to be intelligent.  We might have the begining of a team who can understand the Excel graphs....

In addition to Brain of Bristol,Joe Bryan,we now have a squad with some linguists,other than English.

Hordur with Icelandic and Italian.

Taylor Moore - French

Garita - French

De Girolamo - Italian ?

Lucic - German

Ekstrand - Swedish

Wes Burns - Welsh

Matthews may also speak Welsh. Tammy has Nigerian parentage so may have another language. Any others?

49 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

In addition to Brain of Bristol,Joe Bryan,we now have a squad with some linguists,other than English.

Taylor Moore - French

Garita - French

De Girolamo - Italian ?

Lucic - German

Ekstrand - Swedish

Wes Burns - Welsh

Matthews may also speak Welsh. Tammy has Nigerian parentage so may have another language. Any others?

I don't think Wes Burns can speak Welsh, neither Matthews. 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Taylor Moore - French

Garita - French

De Girolamo - Italian ?

Lucic - German

Ekstrand - Swedish

Wes Burns - Welsh

I'm basing this exclusively on his interviews, but I don't think that Bryan comes across as that clever. There's this widely accepted opinion he's ridiculously intelligent but I don't think that comes across really. I think he's just a fair bit more intelligent than your average footballer. 

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm basing this exclusively on his interviews, but I don't think that Bryan comes across as that clever. There's this widely accepted opinion he's ridiculously intelligent but I don't think that comes across really. I think he's just a fair bit more intelligent than your average footballer. 

Couldn't agree more...he seems like an average bloke from my generation. When you look at interviews of footballers and people in general from the 60's and 70's, they are generally well spoken, intelligent and eloquent. The great majority working class lads. That was your average lad. Compare Bobby Moore to most footballers today...your average Essex 'lad'.

It seemed to go down hill in the 80's.... an indication of society across the board.

It always amazes me how quickly we've become dumb downed in the western world compared to 'lesser' nations.

The lack of general knowledge in the younger generations astounds me. Obviously there are exceptions...but as an example, I could pretty much guarantee they could tell me all about the Kardashians or latest 'celeb', but couldn't recite Pythagoras's theorem to me....which we all knew by the age of 15.

The video clips of the players competing in a general knowledge quiz is very revealing.

In saying that...it's nice to have some of the younger generation like yourself Foggy, on this forum, who appear clued up ;-)

15 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Mad Frankie as a sweeper keeper....:shocking:

My thoughts exactly... :facepalm:

Cooper plays his keeper in a 'sweeper' role at FGR's.

In fact both FGR's and D&R's keepers on Saturday, put ours to shame when it came to footwork, distribution and fast decision making.

I'm astonished by how poor Goalkeepers kicking and distribution is in the Championship, and across the board in British League football.

A Goalkeeper should be as good as one of your defenders when it comes to playing football and not just 'Goalkeeping'.

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Kid's who go into Football early - what kind of education do they have - is it the national curriculum or do they just have to meet other standards in their tutoring as they pursue football ?

Education starts in the home imo.

So many people blame the education system or the government.

Kids need discipline...they generally don't receive it these days.

Society and family values have changed so much in this country...we really have become a 'State' of the USA it seems.

When I travel to parts of Europe, Scandinavia and the likes of India or Sri Lanka...and compare families, children, education, respect, values and society in general. it's an eye opener to how much more civil they are in general.

Where else on the planet, do you see the likes of the Jeremy Kyle programme, camped outside Weatherspoon's or Greggs on a working week day?

It's like the start of a F1 GP race outside them most mornings...Sat in their 'mobility scooters', vaping away, whilst deciding what belly busting breakfast they can spend their benefits on.

Unfortunately I have to walk past 'Bomb Alley' most mornings :-(

I too am a bit confused by the Corridor of Confusion. I have looked at the presentation and see the instructions relate to when we are in possession. The said area is just infront of the goal, so are we meant to cause confusion there or do we become confused there? 

I think if I was a player is would just hang around the Individual Brilliance Zone, I like that. Infact I might make my own zones today as this has inspired me. Anyone doing the same? :sun:

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

I too am a bit confused by the Corridor of Confusion. I have looked at the presentation and see the instructions relate to when we are in possession. The said area is just infront of the goal, so are we meant to cause confusion there or do we become confused there? 

I think if I was a player is would just hang around the Individual Brilliance Zone, I like that. Infact I might make my own zones today as this has inspired me. Anyone doing the same? :sun:

I guess it's causing the opponents 'confusion'...as in 'Don't panic Cap't Mainwairing ;-)

I'd prefer to call it the 'Corridor of composure'...something that is vital in that area.

Red M...you would be known as a 'Goal Hanger' in the local park kick abouts ;-)

Archived