IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

On 01/04/2017 at 09:01, JBFC II said:

That's true tbf, I was looking at Leinsters team for their game this weekend and when you look at the quality of some of the players not taking part LI could get some real gems there, even players like Cian Healy would do well in the premiership and he doesn't get much game time anymore for Leinster

I doubt they'd get anyone who was making the bench unless they wanted to leave. Healy is still on a central contract as well. There are guys who could really benefit from 2-3 years regular game time in England though. One good example is Mike Ross, who was behind John Hayes in Munster and did his time with Quins before going on to become maybe Ireland's most important player as we didn't have another tighthead who could lock out a scrum like he could. Had he not bit the bullet and gone to England he might never have developed into that player. I wish he'd come back to us after leaving Quins though, having no tighthead after Hayes retired stuffed us for a few years.

• Like 1

Not really a rumour but a player from Connacht (where Pat Lam came from) called Bundee Aki has been granted Irish residency and so can play for the national side even if he leaves the country. In December, upon the breaking news of pat lam coming to Bristol Aki said on twitter that he was 'pissed', maybe he could be on his way here?

Edited by JBFC II

53 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Not really a rumour but a player from Connacht (where Pat Lam came from) called Bundee Aki has been granted Irish residency and so can play for the national side even if he leaves the country. In December, upon the breaking news of pat lam coming to Bristol Aki said on twitter that he was 'pissed', maybe he could be on his way here?

Bundee is quality and will almost certainly get capped for Ireland if he wants to which isn't yet certain. He will be Irish qualified in October. He signed a new deal to stay in Galway until 2020 despite alleged interest from us and French clubs. Not impossible that he'd leave but I'd be very surprised if he followed Lam.

Connacht are replacing Lam with Kieran Keane who is currently attack coach at the Chiefs. Looks a solid appointment which will hopefully keep Connacht's stars happy enough.

Edited by MichaelRobartes
  • Like 1

What's all this I saw on the news this morning,  Wasps was it ? scored to win the game with a player on loan for a week??? I'm still learning so much, I didn't know there were lists or dignings still to be had and also why haven't we tried this!!!

I thought it was a closer game yesterday than the result suggests. A good performance where at times they looked more on an equal par than they have for a while. But ultimately too little too late, 12,000 gate with most still singing at the final whistle, not a single boo heard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RedM said:

I thought it was a closer game yesterday than the result suggests. A good performance where at times they looked more on an equal par than they have for a while. But ultimately too little too late, 12,000 gate with most still singing at the final whistle, not a single boo heard.

Good to hear they went down swinging RedM. Was limited to twitter updates but seemed like a lot of Bristol pressure wasn't converted into points?

9 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Good to hear they went down swinging RedM. Was limited to twitter updates but seemed like a lot of Bristol pressure wasn't converted into points?

I could count at least 4 times we were only a yard or two away from getting a try, but we just couldn't get it over the line and Wasps somehow cleared it when it looked almost impossible to defend. Of course then once the ball had been booted right down the pitch all the ground gained was lost in an instance, very frustrating and tiring. But Bristol to their credit at least showed the fight and desire to go again. It's a real shame it's ended like this but the injuries to Henson this season and Varndell have cost us dear, I'm certain with both of them playing it would have been different. I'm really looking to next season and the rebuild now.

• Like 2

Was just too much to do in the end.

In hindsight, losing every game for the first 2 months was it in all competitions, and just two losing bonus points in that time was just too big to overcome. Maybe had we replaced Robinson last summer- we rallied well absolutely well for a time, but Worcester dispatching Bath, and earlier in season beating Saracens and getting 2 losing bonus points at Wasps was unexpected!

As soon as we were hammered by Harlequins at home- who had lost every away game in the season- I deep down thought we were doomed.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

What the kiwi press think of Luatua's move to Bristol.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11840304

It's extremely harsh. They say that Luatua could be an even more attractive proposition in three years. He still could be if Bristol are playing Heineken Cup by then. Given the money they're throwing around and the Lam factor it could well happen. If he does well he'll have no shortage of offers.

Conversely he could get injured tomorrow and never play again. Very hard to turn down the sort of money English and French clubs are throwing around these days.

I'm not sure how close he is to the NZ team after Hansen's twatty remarks about him and Lam anyway.

• Like 1