IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

7 new signings, all championship players but all of them have been standouts v us this season. 

A few more premiership experience players needed to give us a chance of survival though in my opinion

https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/lam-adds-seven-standout-championship-players-to-squad/

Edited by JBFC II
Forgot link...
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

7 new signings, all championship players but all of them have been standouts v us this season. 

A few more premiership experience players needed to give us a chance of survival though in my opinion

https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/lam-adds-seven-standout-championship-players-to-squad/

Similar model to the football in terms of recruitment, I know they have had there fingers burnt in past but they will need a bit more premiership experience 

I’m more of a Bath then Bristol fan (due to work commitments), but is it possible Bristol could line up with a whole new starting 15 next season??

3 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Similar model to the football in terms of recruitment, I know they have had there fingers burnt in past but they will need a bit more premiership experience 

I’m more of a Bath then Bristol fan (due to work commitments), but is it possible Bristol could line up with a whole new starting 15 next season??

Not quite as obviously Steven Luatua will be one of the mainstays of the team. Joe maybe? Siale? 

4 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Apologies, forgot about madigan luatua etc 

just seem to be signing a huge number of players with no doubt more to come! 

And tbf we need a load of new players, the team at the moment would go back down easily so strength in depth is vital. That's 17 new signings with 3 more to come apparently and really I'm still not convinced we will stay up

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 10:13, JBFC II said:

And tbf we need a load of new players, the team at the moment would go back down easily so strength in depth is vital. That's 17 new signings with 3 more to come apparently and really I'm still not convinced we will stay up

Know absolutely zilch about rugby , BUT would II be right in assuming (typical BS ) they are recruiting "on the cheap"....if so, there seems to be a pattern emerging ! :P

25 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Know absolutely zilch about rugby , BUT would II be right in assuming (typical BS ) they are recruiting "on the cheap"....if so, there seems to be a pattern emerging ! :P

Not quite. Charles Piatau will be one of the highest paid rugby players in the world when he joins Bristol for next season.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

It's hard to compare football and rugby when it comes to finances. 

Charles Piutau will become the most expensive player in the world when he joins Bristol on 850-900k a year next year, that's around 18k a week which is what most championship players get. 

Bristol have mixed big bucks signings (Afoa, Piutau, Thacker) whilst signing some of the championships best players (like us getting the best players from league one and two for when we get promoted...) 

2 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Not quite. Charles Piatau will be one of the highest paid rugby players in the world when he joins Bristol for next season.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

It's hard to compare football and rugby when it comes to finances. 

Charles Piutau will become the most expensive player in the world when he joins Bristol on 850-900k a year next year, that's around 18k a week which is what most championship players get. 

Bristol have mixed big bucks signings (Afoa, Piutau, Thacker) whilst signing some of the championships best players (like us getting the best players from league one and two for when we get promoted...) 

OK, fair enough.....as I said I know nothing about rugby finance and transfers ( or indeed who's any good or not) .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Great result yesterday, Pat Lam was amazed it was played given the conditions but a win is a win. Shame no BP tho. Huge game Friday night to look forward to. C'mon Bris. 

Looks like the promotion clincher will be either Nottingham away or Doncaster home then. Be nice for it to be at AG on a Friday night v Donny  (again!)

• Like 1

Got the win, just. Hard work tonight, Yorkshire were very negative and their players were down every two minutes with ‘injuries’ . Fair enough one player had to be stretchered off as he couldn’t walk, but apart from him I have never seen this cynical style so expertly executed. They came to stifle us and it almost worked. No tries scored by either team, small crowd given as 7778, not the greatest of evenings for Bristol Rugby but a win all the same, they all count, even ugly ones. I really though Yorkshire, who looked pretty devastated at the end, were going to nick the win though which would have been cruel. 

23 hours ago, RedM said:

Got the win, just. Hard work tonight, Yorkshire were very negative and their players were down every two minutes with ‘injuries’ . Fair enough one player had to be stretchered off as he couldn’t walk, but apart from him I have never seen this cynical style so expertly executed. They came to stifle us and it almost worked. No tries scored by either team, small crowd given as 7778, not the greatest of evenings for Bristol Rugby but a win all the same, they all count, even ugly ones. I really though Yorkshire, who looked pretty devastated at the end, were going to nick the win though which would have been cruel. 

Strikes me it's a good job everyone is fast running out of games........ they must almost be there asthmatically, surely ?

7 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Strikes me it's a good job everyone is fast running out of games........ they must almost be there asthmatically, surely ?

Hopefully, but it might be a stumble over the line not a leap. I know it was thought that Bristol would be celebrating promotion 2 home games ago. 

11 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

If it was tighter a few players who are currently loaned out or have had their contracts ended early would be playing.  No Chris Vui or LuaTua is making a big difference as well.  We just look like a bog standard Championship side at the moment. Set piece is really poor.  I guess that's why we've signed about 8 front rowers for next season.  

On 23/03/2018 at 23:29, RedM said:

The northerners did get a Penalty Try though, but it was an awful game to watch. 

With almost an entire new team arriving in the summer Pat Lam has certainly got his work cut out if we're going to avoid relegation next year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

The northerners did get a Penalty Try though, but it was an awful game to watch. 

With almost an entire new team arriving in the summer Pat Lam has certainly got his work cut out if we're going to avoid relegation next year. 

Yup you are right, it was down the other end and I’d fallen asleep by then. ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Couldn't the fall off be due to just that ?   " Why should I bust a gut if I'm not going to be playing next year !"

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Was the penalty try from a scrum? If so that's up there with scoring off a driving maul as the best try you can score.

Read that thread or some of it.

Not a great idea IMO. Very undemocratic, an idea without much merit.

What interested me though was the chorus of confidence from a decent number of posters on there. Has it not occurred to them that as and when Bristol go up, they may finish bottom next year. Certainly possible if they are so easy to score tries against next year!

Anyway in that scenario, they would probably end up playing London Irish. However, Worcester could yet go down but regardless one of those 2 would probably top Championship next season. 

In that scenario, and with Bristol's playoff record down the years- how do they know Bristol wouldn't lose and be down 5 years?? Certainly v Worcester anyway, quite possible.

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What interested me though was the chorus of confidence from a decent number of posters on there. Has it not occurred to them that as and when Bristol go up, they may finish bottom next year. Certainly possible if they are so easy to score tries against next year

I thought the same. This year has been tough and assimilating almost an entirely new team into the squad over the summer to get t o where we need to be likely even tougher. It’s hardly been a breeze has it even with the quality in the squad - to see teams in the bottom half of the Prem of such quality is a scary prospect. 

Next year is going to be a slog of a season, no doubt about that in my mind. 

For anybody interested: https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/bristol-rugby-senior-management-to-host-supporters-qa/

Timing wise this should be after the season ticket prices have been announced which might explain why Gavin Marshall (Bristol Sport Chief Financial Officer) will be at the top table alongside Lam & Tainton. They said that ST prices will be announced "mid-April" presumably banking on the title being sewn up before the Hartpury game - indeed if we beat Nottingham on Friday night and Ealing lose at Doncaster the next day we will be assure the title. 

Should be an interesting night - as the last couple have been. 

On 4/4/2018 at 16:25, CyderInACan said:

For anybody interested: https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/bristol-rugby-senior-management-to-host-supporters-qa/

Timing wise this should be after the season ticket prices have been announced which might explain why Gavin Marshall (Bristol Sport Chief Financial Officer) will be at the top table alongside Lam & Tainton. They said that ST prices will be announced "mid-April" presumably banking on the title being sewn up before the Hartpury game - indeed if we beat Nottingham on Friday night and Ealing lose at Doncaster the next day we will be assure the title. 

Should be an interesting night - as the last couple have been. 

that ain't gonna happen .

• Haha 1