IGNORED

Good interview with Hordur Magnusson

bigbash

''I think I am really lucky that I have played in Italy before coming to England. In Italy, we focused more on the tactical aspect and how to implement our game from the back, while in England, we rely more on direct football and the physical aspect of the game.''

Say's it all imo.

5''Also, Iceland have been working intensely in building indoor training centres where we can train, and were young players can train as well. The weather in Iceland is not ideal to play football in, therefore having these indoor complexes, it gives a huge boost to our movement.''

He undersold why Iceland are a football phenomenon.

Reykjavik is not that much bigger than Bath but has numerous "football houses". Iceland has world class facilities for coaching football to kids. The academy and coaching structure they have puts England to shame.

48 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

5''Also, Iceland have been working intensely in building indoor training centres where we can train, and were young players can train as well. The weather in Iceland is not ideal to play football in, therefore having these indoor complexes, it gives a huge boost to our movement.''

He undersold why Iceland are a football phenomenon.

Reykjavik is not that much bigger than Bath but has numerous "football houses". Iceland has world class facilities for coaching football to kids. The academy and coaching structure they have puts England to shame.

They also lead the world in the building of snowmen.

:colder:

• Admin
1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

But also the capital of Iceland - much easier to tap into smaller communities when the whole country is tiny

I would assume £ per person invested is much greater in England?

"But also the capital of Iceland - much easier to tap into smaller communities when the whole country is tiny. I would assume £ per person invested is much greater in England?"

Iceland's football houses are spread around the country. Small towns have coaching facilities that a major English City like Bristol does not equal. The £'s devoted to kids coaching puts England to shame. And it should be easier for England to tap into resources - Iceland does not have football TV revenue.

Iceland's astonishing progress as a football, nation is based upon not dissimilar basis to Spains, another Country England is left behind in terms of coaching development.

A large proportion of Iceland's economy is made up from tourism. A successful football team will help raise the profile of the country and boost tourism.

Iceland becoming better at football is likely to have a much more significant effect on their economy than it would on England's.

This isn't an argument for or against improving football facilities and coaching in England, just identifying a potential benefit to Iceland that would not apply to England.

This wonderful opportunity that has been afforded English football by the Sky money has been squandered in an appalling and shameless manner by the few that are in charge purely for their own self interests and never for the good of this country's clubs or the national team itself. And when this gravy train eventually departs these shores for the next record breaking deal, as it ultimately will at some point, then we'll be left with bankrupt clubs, a lower standard of football and still a poor national side as the money that should've been invested to improve it from the grass roots up never happened. 

13 hours ago, spudski said:

''I think I am really lucky that I have played in Italy before coming to England. In Italy, we focused more on the tactical aspect and how to implement our game from the back, while in England, we rely more on direct football and the physical aspect of the game.''

Say's it all imo.

Italian teams have won the champions league 3 times since the turn of the century, the same as English clubs, just saying' like.

13 hours ago, spudski said:

Say's it all imo.

Ah so it's Johnson telling him to constantly hit (or try atleast) it to an isolated Abraham  regularly then.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Italian teams have won the champions league 3 times since the turn of the century, the same as English clubs, just saying' like.

The majority of Italian teams, have Italians playing in them....the majority of English teams in the Prem have foreigners playing for them. ;-)

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Ah I see you are actually making a different point to the one that you are quoting then.

Not sure how you see that EMB...I quoted Hordur and said 'say's it all really'. Basically agreeing to Italy focusing on tactical aspects, rather than the physical side of the game.

I never mentioned winning games...it was an agreement to the technical aspects.

Would say he's correct about the Italy and England comparison in a tactical sense tbh yeah, Broadly anyway, Serie A has most of the time had a greater depth of tactic and organisation by lower sides, like the relegation strugglers when they face the big sides than you get here. Think is changing now with the variety and different coaching styles and players. in the PL overall is quite correct. Serei A certainly isn't the best League but generally it has been up there tactically.

14 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

A large proportion of Iceland's economy is made up from tourism. A successful football team will help raise the profile of the country and boost tourism.

Iceland becoming better at football is likely to have a much more significant effect on their economy than it would on England's.

This isn't an argument for or against improving football facilities and coaching in England, just identifying a potential benefit to Iceland that would not apply to England.

You think tourists are going to start flocking to Iceland, because their national team won a couple of football matches..?! 

Oh hang on... there is my email confirmation for 2 weeks in the Leicester travel lodge next August for me and the kids...! 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

You think tourists are going to start flocking to Iceland, because their national team won a couple of football matches..?! 

Oh hang on... there is my email confirmation for 2 weeks in the Leicester travel lodge next August for me and the kids...! 

I think there is some logic behind it, Icelandair clearly thought it was an opportunity.

http://www.reykjavik.com/icelandair-supporting-icelands-football-dream/

It's totally different to Leicester as there's lots of natural beauty to see in Iceland, it's pretty unique. 

http://www.euronews.com/2016/11/09/icelandic-tourism-industry-boosted-by-euro-2016

http://www.garethhuwdavies.com/travel/football-success-gives-iceland-tourism-boost-money-not-buy/

It's all about profile, if people hear about Iceland, see more about Iceland etc they'll be more inclined to go on holiday there.

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would say he's correct about the Italy and England comparison in a tactical sense tbh yeah, Broadly anyway, Serie A has most of the time had a greater depth of tactic and organisation by lower sides, like the relegation strugglers when they face the big sides than you get here. Think is changing now with the variety and different coaching styles and players. in the PL overall is quite correct. Serei A certainly isn't the best League but generally it has been up there tactically.

I've watched live a lot of Italian football, even visiting training grounds, where fans flock to watch, unlike here. It is their religion. The players are under intense scrutiny. There training being watched by fans and media alike. No days where you can not give 100%.

Even back in the day when City played the Anglo-Italia Cup games, you could see the lower league Italian teams, were far better technically...even all those years ago.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I've watched live a lot of Italian football, even visiting training grounds, where fans flock to watch, unlike here. It is their religion. The players are under intense scrutiny. There training being watched by fans and media alike. No days where you can not give 100%.

Even back in the day when City played the Anglo-Italia Cup games, you could see the lower league Italian teams, were far better technically...even all those years ago.

Yep would go with that broadly. I haven't been to a game in Italy unfortunately but they have football dedicated papers and not just one.Technically we may well be ahead now at least comparing Serie A v PL it#s tactics where I think they may have an edge.

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep would go with that broadly. I haven't been to a game in Italy unfortunately but they have football dedicated papers and not just one.Technically we may well be ahead now at least comparing Serie A v PL it#s tactics where I think they may have an edge.

PL over Serie A....yes maybe, as we have pretty much the cream of the world playing here. Where as Italy is mainly Italians. Italian national side v English national side, they are far more technically astute.

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think there is some logic behind it, Icelandair clearly thought it was an opportunity.

http://www.reykjavik.com/icelandair-supporting-icelands-football-dream/

It's totally different to Leicester as there's lots of natural beauty to see in Iceland, it's pretty unique. 

http://www.euronews.com/2016/11/09/icelandic-tourism-industry-boosted-by-euro-2016

http://www.garethhuwdavies.com/travel/football-success-gives-iceland-tourism-boost-money-not-buy/

It's all about profile, if people hear about Iceland, see more about Iceland etc they'll be more inclined to go on holiday there.

I'm packing my bucket and spade even as we talk.

Archived