IGNORED

pre decimal coinage.. favourites...

WhistleHappy

Just thinking about things gone by and randomly began to think about pre- 'new pence' days... ( this is for us oldies of course )

What coins from childhood do you remember fondly?

I thought of the old birthday box favourite HALF-CROWN (before age and inflation introduced us to paper money and the Ten Bob Note :) )

There was the the good old PENNY 1d,,  SHILLING 12d..  TWO SHILLING(florin)24d  ... half penny, three-penny bit 3d , sixpence (tanner) 6d etc etc    and my favourite was either the brass THRUPENCE(three penny bit) with its unique shape, or the silver tanner 6d ... THEN I remembered the dear old FARTHING (1/4 of a penny) a little brass coin in every way (size&value) the smallest value coin in my life time anyway and it had a ROBIN on it ... (loved that robin money when I was a nipper... wonder now if that subconsciously planted a seed in my mind for things to come? ... certainly can't remember any coins with pirates on for instance)

So although I'd  almost forgotten it, and have clear and fond memories of the other brass and silver coinage of childhood, loved the 3d bit & the tanner but from earliest memories my fave British  coin I think has to be the humblest of 'em all ... The brass FARTHING with the little ROBIN on it... :) 

3 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

That's a wren, not a robin.

Oops, that's what happens when toddlers listen to their elders without knowing better.... 'twas often referred to as a 'little robin redbreast' within the family ... I believed it without question then and until you pointed it out I assumed that to be the case to this day..... I can see now it is clearly not a robin.... but tbh if this morning I had to answer a question about the farthing and what bird it featured, in a prize money quiz I would have confidently bet a stash on an all or nothing gamble ... and lost!  blimey . Cheers for the correction.  ..... Right sod the farthing, I'm loving the 3d bit again now! :) 

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/190-a-robin-farthing/#comment-1162

30 years ago in a museum I showed my children a half crown and informed them;

"That was a marvellous coin; it fitted perfectly in your hand and with one of those, you could buy anything"!

These days I am conscious that a 1p increase per litre is a shilling a gallon in "proper currency and measurements".

21 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Am a coin collecting nerd (no seriously I am) so am very jealous of anyone who actually has any of these coins in their possession. 

Which coins in particular? I probably got a box full somewhere, in used circulated condition not mint. I got some big old pennies ( 1d ), quite old but very, very worn so you can hardly make them out, rubbish  I guess as far as a collector is concerned but I quite like them like that as its real history, if only they could talk. Yup,  I quite like coins too. 

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Which coins in particular? I probably got a box full somewhere, in used circulated condition not mint. I got some big old pennies ( 1d ), quite old but very, very worn so you can hardly make them out, rubbish  I guess as far as a collector is concerned but I quite like them like that as its real history, if only they could talk. Yup,  I quite like coins too. 

I literally collect any coins. My collection is the one thing I'd be most gutted about losing if I was unfortunate enough to ever be burgled. 

12 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I literally collect any coins. My collection is the one thing I'd be most gutted about losing if I was unfortunate enough to ever be burgled. 

That's interesting. I used to like getting coins from other countries (before the euro)  in my change etc and keep them, that's what I started with. I don't buy any limited edition coins, had a few given to me. I don't think I have particular valuable or interesting, just nice shapes and designs ha ha. Have you anything you like for some reason, anything unusual?

In September it was the RAF Association's Wings Appeal week. When we emptied out the collecting boxes there was a threepenny bit in one. That means someone was actually walking round with one in their pocket 45 years after decimalisation.

I have one of each of the pre decimal coins, but never saved a ten bob note. Apparently the last ones were printed six months before they ceased to be legal tender as that was their life span before they disintegrated through use.

24 minutes ago, RedM said:

Have you anything you like for some reason, anything unusual?

I've got every single one of the 2012 Olympic 50p's. I collected all but a couple of them and then bought the last couple from the Royal Mint. 

Lots and lots of other special 50p's. I think they're my favourite ones 

Given (I think but could very easily be wrong) that tomorrow is stir up Sunday I'm surprised that the sixpence has not had a mention. Used to like getting the one in the Christmas pudding but always worried whilst eating it - the pudding that is.

Whilst I have never seen one I like the term "groat" - would be great to have that coin back in circulation just for comedy value.

10 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

Given (I think but could very easily be wrong) that tomorrow is stir up Sunday I'm surprised that the sixpence has not had a mention. Used to like getting the one in the Christmas pudding but always worried whilst eating it - the pudding that is.

Whilst I have never seen one I like the term "groat" - would be great to have that coin back in circulation just for comedy value.

Good idea, the groat would make a nice... erm, change!

This thread is a trip down memory lane........:blink:

The old two bob (florin) dated before 1948 had a larger silver quantity in it and was therefore worth more than it's face value post decimalisation.

i used to spent ages checking the dates on all the two bobs I came across. I never found one.......

:facepalm:

10 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Anyone remember that old Tommy Steele musical about 'thrupence' ?  saw it with my parents as a kid can't remember if it was live in a theatre or if it was a film or what it was called ?

(we didn't half enjoy it though ;) )

Half a sixpence was the title.

On 19 November 2016 at 09:00, Reigate Red said:

My cousin did that one year - swallowed a sixpence in the Crimbo pudding. He spent much of the big day clamped to the lav. Every so often someone would ask if it had made its way out again - he'd reply 'No change yet.'

20 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Feel free to send any duplicates/spares my way, I'm serious, I'd love them! 

I will see what I can find. I know I have Cook Islands, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, NZ, Morocco, Bahrain, Jordan, Yatton, Saudi, US and I think some from the Caribbean.

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 15:22, BigTone said:

I will see what I can find. I know I have Cook Islands, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, NZ, Morocco, Bahrain, Jordan,      **Yatton,**      Saudi, US and I think some from the Caribbean.

**Yatton ? ... cool, always knew they're a bit 'Royston Vasey' around those parts,, but wow I didn't realise they had their own currency,... so have you got any Congresbury 'Yen' Tone? :) 

(Blimey am I not jealous of your travels btw .. its like you've been everywhere man... you've been everywhere (I've been to Weymouth, Weston, Severn Beach & Brean, ..but you've been everywhere man! .. Lucky Sod !! :) )

For anyone interested, I would recommend the antiques shop at the top of Christmas steps (near the Colston Yard pub, believe it's called Potters).

The chap in there has a huge wooden drawer of old British pre-decimal coinage, some of it dating back to Victoria's reign. Only a few pence to buy off him on a coin by coin basis and a nice bit of history to own.

Archived