IGNORED

Kevin Nugent

GrahamC

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Good mate of mine met him a few times when he played for us and said what a sound bloke he was.

Remember him starting the ball rolling in the 4-2 at Twerton, thanks for tonight Kev..

Met the bloke 3 times. in a pub in Bradley Stoke and twice in a pub down on Gloucester Road.  chatted at the bar. then sat down a chatted and drank for a good few hours. very nice bloke. never met another footballer like him. No hint of a big time Charlie and to be honest,you wouldn't have known he was a footballer (I'll set someone have their own fun with that statement).

Not the best player in the world,but a trier who wouldn't give his marker any rest.

I guess if I had never met the guy he would have gone down as a Liam Robinson type,vague memories of a trier.  but having met him and talked at length I will have Rose tinted specs of the bloke.

4 hours ago, TRL said:

Met the bloke 3 times. in a pub in Bradley Stoke and twice in a pub down on Gloucester Road.  chatted at the bar. then sat down a chatted and drank for a good few hours. very nice bloke. never met another footballer like him. No hint of a big time Charlie and to be honest,you wouldn't have known he was a footballer (I'll set someone have their own fun with that statement).

Not the best player in the world,but a trier who wouldn't give his marker any rest.

I guess if I had never met the guy he would have gone down as a Liam Robinson type,vague memories of a trier.  but having met him and talked at length I will have Rose tinted specs of the bloke.

Funnily enough, what he said to my mate was along the lines of "I'm know I'm not the best footballer there is but I always give everything and also that he loved playing for us".

Coming from some that could be bollocks but he certainly achieved the first and from his honesty and character there was no reason at all to doubt the latter.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Funnily enough, what he said to my mate was along the lines of "I'm know I'm not the best footballer there is but I always give everything and also that he loved playing for us".

Coming from some that could be bollocks but he certainly achieved the first and from his honesty and character there was no reason at all to doubt the latter.

That really doesn't surprise me. What I always liked about him was he knew his strengths and his limitations and played to them. He never tried anything fancy and embarrassed himself, he was a good lower league hardworking pro and he seemed more than happy with that. I wish a few more of our players over the years had his mentality.

27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That really doesn't surprise me. What I always liked about him was he knew his strengths and his limitations and played to them. He never tried anything fancy and embarrassed himself, he was a good lower league hardworking pro and he seemed more than happy with that. I wish a few more of our players over the years had his mentality.

Rumour has it that Scott Wagstaff grew up with posters of Kevin Nugent on his bedroom wall!

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Good mate of mine met him a few times when he played for us and said what a sound bloke he was.

Remember him starting the ball rolling in the 4-2 at Twerton, thanks for tonight Kev..

Any excuse to roll it out..

Remember going into school with head held high after years of suffering defeats at there and the 2-0/1-1 pains at AG in recent seasons. It setup for us to dominate most of the rest of the encounters in the 90's at the mem.. I think they only beat us once in the league after that?  The season they fluffed the play offs..

A good and honest professional, the Kevin Nugent's of this world, rarely hit the headlines. But without them the Jacki's, Atyeo's, would not attain their place in history. Kevin is one of a thousand or so that have contributed to City's cause in my lifetime.

And anyone who bosses a team that slaughters the unmentionables is welcome.    

50 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Remember going into school with head held high after years of suffering defeats at there and the 2-0/1-1 pains at AG in recent seasons. It setup for us to dominate most of the rest of the encounters in the 90's at the mem.. I think they only beat us once in the league after that?  The season they fluffed the play offs..

Phrases you thought you would never hear in football Number 94........ "Martin Kuhl acting as peacemaker there" :blink:

24 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

A good and honest professional, the Kevin Nugent's of this world, rarely hit the headlines. But without them the Jacki's, Atyeo's, would not attain their place in history. Kevin is one of a thousand or so that have contributed to City's cause in my lifetime.

And anyone who bosses a team that slaughters the unmentionables is welcome.    

Whilst I probably understand the point you are trying to make I believe using "Big John" as an example of a goalscorer making a name off the backs of others is well wide of the mark. He was a good and honest amateur/ pro who played for England and it is only recently this managed to get you into an England team, so this showed he had that little extra back then. Now, without wishing to start the Jacki debate again, he is a different example altogether.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Thanks for sharing Tom, enjoyed watching that again !

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I wasn't even a year old then!

4 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Two things stick out in those highlights.when we went 2-1 up,they started singing h'way the lads (wtf) and when we went 4-1 up,you can see all those sag feet rushing out of the ground ,beneath the advertising boards,funny as you like.

21 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Phrases you thought you would never hear in football Number 94........ "Martin Kuhl acting as peacemaker there" :blink:

So many great things about watching again that but Kuhl's reaction at the end is just brilliant.

I tell you what, he never quite did it often enough with us but he was a very decent player. He wins a lot of 50/50s in this game, could use the ball very well and in one of his seasons with us also got a fair number of goals.

This thread started about Kevin Nugent (great play for the 4th by him, too) but two other good pros also on display for us then, Gary Owers and Alan McCleary.

Also, as well as reminding me why I hated Gurney so much it showed why I could never take to Beadle when Pulis signed him.

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So many great things about watching again that but Kuhl's reaction at the end is just brilliant.

I tell you what, he never quite did it often enough with us but he was a very decent player. He wins a lot of 50/50s in this game, could use the ball very well and in one of his seasons with us also got a fair number of goals.

This thread started about Kevin Nugent (great play for the 4th by him, too) but two other good pros also on display for us then, Gary Owers and Alan McCleary.

Also, as well as reminding me why I hated Gurney so much it showed why I could never take to Beadle when Pulis signed him.

Do think if you shined a torch through Hewlett's ears his eyes might light up though.

6 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Do think if you shinned a torch through Hewlett's ears his eyes might light up though.

You could ask him on here but I think he's banned, he really doesn't like the forum either, was bad mouthing @Dollymarie on Facebook the other day in that city till I die grou, seems a bit of a fanny imo

1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

You could ask him on here but I think he's banned, he really doesn't like the forum either, was bad mouthing @Dollymarie on Facebook the other day in that city till I die grou, seems a bit of a fanny imo

One of many I'm sure. Bored of it to be honest which is why I'm not even on that group :facepalm:

On 23/11/2016 at 13:58, Eddie Hitler said:

I can flag up my incredibly remote connection with Kevin in that a woman who worked for me had his brother as a landlord (in Harlow, Essex I think); he was greatly pleased to hear that "My boss supports your brother's team".

Sounds like you're one to follow for the Transfer Forum thread .

3 hours ago, alexukhc said:

They aren't the same person.

On 23 November 2016 at 01:17, Tomarse said:

what a crap ground they had back then .

Archived