IGNORED

The Official Reading v Bristol City Match Day Thread

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

Shedding tears of joy or tears of sorrow today will be a topic of conversation either side of the Florida Straits.. I cannot ever recall doing the former as I somehow find myself not having a free flowing lacrimal duct when I am deliriously happy although it does seem to work well when I have sorrow. Don't imagine people will be equally happy in Florida as they are equally sad in Havana as Fidel Castro died at 10.22pm local time on November 25th.. just 4 hours ago as I write these words. Mixed emotions everywhere.

As a Johny foreigner living in Havana I was rather neutral about Fidel; he affected all of those who lived in Cuba of course, for better or for worse, and he certainly polarised opinion even in the Island nation. His legacy will still be mourned the world over but, by some, less so closer to home. That Cuba is changing, and fast, is now beyond doubt and if Raul stands by his word he will stand down in 2018 and make way for a new younger generation. This passing may now cement that and also pave the way for faster legislation to set in motion a more market driven economy that moves toward democracy in the years ahead. To all those who wish to go before the Americans 'move in' consider two things; Havana has insufficient rooms both in the public and private sector and no doubt those 90 miles to the north will wish to book those rooms out for the next 6 months. Prepare to be disappointed. Although Fidel retired in 2008 today is a tumultuous day.

And now back to the more important matter of a football match...

Reading appears to have an affinity with the Blue few from Horfield; a tongue in cheek remark but one that goes right back to Readingas or Readagas who were an early Anglo Saxon clan around the 8th century and later became known as Readingum. At this time settlements were named after a leader, in this case it was Reada, coming from a certain place or ingas. And, funnily enough, Reada literally means 'The Red One' . So there you have it folks; Deep down all teams really want to play in red or have red in the heart and in the soul. The town has interestingly bid to become a city on three previous occasions failing each time. 

All we know today is that with 4 consecutive wins under their belt Jaap Stam's men have to be stopped or we will find ourselves in the lower echelons of this division for about the first time this season. City had a reasonable advantage over Reading until October 2010 when winning by a single goal at Ashton Gate. Since then Reading have won all 5 matches and now have a slight advantage of 36 wins to 35 with 19 draws. Today surely we have to start reversing that poor run to bring us back to 36 wins each. Anybody remember those Division 4 matches we had with them? Both teams have done rather better than the other two teams promoted that final season for us in the lowest tier, Doncaster and York.

City have to show some metal today. A crucial encounter to turn our negative tide around. I wonder if Lee has the metal to galvanise the team to do just that. However, I suspect a rather underwhelming draw might be the result. 2-2 ?

And a final huge thanks from all of us not going to the match today to those who are; at time of writing I understand over 3,000 City fans are making the journey east along the M4. Absolutely marvellous. Roar us over the line to victory.. Really need to be victorious today. UTC

Mixed feelings about Papa Noel , Lots of bad stuff but some good ideas as well. He ' liberated ' the people then sealed them into a Truman style show which they could n't leave.

I have very fond memories of Cuba and it's people and hope to God that it does n't revert back to the Mafia playground that it was before the revolution. Courage to them and equally to our boys in Red as they attempt to get our season back on track .

We need to play without fear , express ourselves and take the risks necessary to break down a tough Reading side on top form .

Logic says we will lose but as nothing is sure in football , apart from Colin taking over an ailing Championship side and saving them, I'm going for a City win . Tammy and Tomlin due goals so 1-2 to the Robins ;

• Like 1

Good day everyone,

Shedding tears of joy or tears of sorrow today will be a topic of conversation either side of the Florida Straits.. I cannot ever recall doing the former as I somehow find myself not having a free flowing lacrimal duct when I am deliriously happy although it does seem to work well when I have sorrow. Don't imagine people will be equally happy in Florida as they are equally sad in Havana as Fidel Castro died at 10.22pm local time on November 25th.. just 4 hours ago as I write these words. Mixed emotions everywhere.

As a Johny foreigner living in Havana I was rather neutral about Fidel; he affected all of those who lived in Cuba of course, for better or for worse, and he certainly polarised opinion even in the Island nation. His legacy will still be mourned the world over but, by some, less so closer to home. That Cuba is changing, and fast, is now beyond doubt and if Raul stands by his word he will stand down in 2018 and make way for a new younger generation. This passing may now cement that and also pave the way for faster legislation to set in motion a more market driven economy that moves toward democracy in the years ahead. To all those who wish to go before the Americans 'move in' consider two things; Havana has insufficient rooms both in the public and private sector and no doubt those 90 miles to the north will wish to book those rooms out for the next 6 months. Prepare to be disappointed. Although Fidel retired in 2008 today is a tumultuous day.

Reading appears to have an affinity with the Blue few from Horfield; a tongue in cheek remark but one that goes right back to Readingas or Readagas who were an early Anglo Saxon clan around the 8th century and later became known as Readingum. At this time settlements were named after a leader, in this case it was Reada, coming from a certain place or ingas. And, funnily enough, Reada literally means 'The Red One' . So there you have it folks; Deep down all teams really want to play in red or have red in the heart and in the soul. The town has interestingly bid to become a city on three previous occasions failing each time. 

All we know today is that with 4 consecutive wins under their belt Jaap Stam's men have to be stopped or we will find ourselves in the lower echelons of this division for about the first time this season. City had a reasonable advantage over Reading until October 2010 when winning by a single goal at Ashton Gate. Since then Reading have won all 5 matches and now have a slight advantage of 36 wins to 35 with 19 draws. Today surely we have to start reversing that poor run to bring us back to 36 wins each. Anybody remember those Division 4 matches we had with them? Both teams have done rather better than the other two teams promoted that final season for us in the lowest tier, Doncaster and York.

City have to show some metal today. A crucial encounter to turn our negative tide around. I wonder if Lee has the metal to galvanise the team to do just that. However, I suspect a rather underwhelming draw might be the result. 2-2 ?

And a final huge thanks from all of us not going to the match today to those who are; at time of writing I understand over 3,000 City fans are making the journey east along the M4. Absolutely marvellous. Roar us over the line to victory.. Really need to be victorious today. UTC

Eloquent and informative as ever, H. :clap:

All I can say is: "Fidel si! Lone Striker Up Front no!"

• Like 2

Good day everyone,

Are they still called The Biscuitmen?

5 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Best wishes to your dad, yourself and family at an obviously difficult time.... fingers crossed for good luck today.

Thanks Whistle , not only my Dad but my best friend , down to him taking me to football , cricket etc etc that I'm a diehard red as for many of us I'd guess

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1