IGNORED

Under soil heating (Merged)

cidered abroad

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is there any need to use it until near match day?

I believe the undersoil heating is there to aid grass growth as well as the use of the lighting rigs, not just to prevent frost taking hold, if it's been installed and commissioned  it's probably switched on right now.

Sounds lovely, could make a few bob in the closed season too... Now we have a destination stadium offering all kinds of non sporting entertainment, how about using the pitch for family picnics?

Can't you just imagine those chilly summer evenings, sipping bubbly, eating cream teas and sandwiches on 'the nicely warmed lawn'?  Stretching out on the perfectly manicured expanse of lush green grass taking in the last of a fine days sunshine, giggling and whispering sweet nothings to loved ones whilst wishing on the stars above and all on the comforting warmth of a dry dew free lawn.... 

It could be so captivatingly beautifully done.... special romantic evening events with maybe a string quartet gently playing ambient music from the dug outs... 

Make a few Bob that mate, luvelly jubley , this time next year and all that.... !

48 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Sounds lovely, could make a few bob in the closed season too... Now we have a destination stadium offering all kinds of non sporting entertainment, how about using the pitch for family picnics?

Can't you just imagine those chilly summer evenings, sipping bubbly, eating cream teas and sandwiches on 'the nicely warmed lawn'?  Stretching out on the perfectly manicured expanse of lush green grass taking in the last of a fine days sunshine, giggling and whispering sweet nothings to loved ones whilst wishing on the stars above and all on the comforting warmth of a dry dew free lawn.... 

It could be so captivatingly beautifully done.... special romantic evening events with maybe a string quartet gently playing ambient music from the dug outs... 

Make a few Bob that mate, luvelly jubley , this time next year and all that.... !

A non-starter I'm afraid as people already have all this available just down the road at the sumptuous, rolling meadows of Ashton Vale........

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

this is a good idea , 6 house marks .

19 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

A non-starter I'm afraid as people already have all this available just down the road at the sumptuous, rolling meadows of Ashton Vale........

Ahh, yes of course, how could I forget that, I wonder who owns that land?... they could maybe use it for community ice skating this time of year, dog sleighing even.... what a wonderful local amenity.... 

(PS almost misspelled dog sleighing as slaying, phew glad I spotted that or I'd have been public enemy no 1. :shocking:)

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Wouldn't matter if we didn't have it

how many games have we had called off in the last 25 years due to a frozen pitch? 3?

we aren't rovers we actually have decent ground staff

It's nice to have though. Especially if the club is progressing. Pitch was icy for the replay last year against West Brom and I think played a factor into the quality of the game. Just getting everything in place to be a club people talk about as being well run and professional. 

8 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

That`s all very well but the missus would want to go if it was like that and then how would you whisper sweet nothings to loved ones then?

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

It's nice to have though. Especially if the club is progressing. Pitch was icy for the replay last year against West Brom and I think played a factor into the quality of the game. Just getting everything in place to be a club people talk about as being well run and professional. 

As mentioned above it's used as much for the desso pitch as keeping the frost away.

Last game off because of frost was the Boxing Day 1995 game against the gas? We had weird ice rain that screwed up everywhere around the ground from memory. Never seen anything like that since 

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

As mentioned above it's used as much for the desso pitch as keeping the frost away.

Last game off because of frost was the Boxing Day 1995 game against the gas? We had weird ice rain that screwed up everywhere around the ground from memory. Never seen anything like that since 

It was weird and absolutely lethal . 

The rearranged game was the match where thousands were locked out if I remember correctly .

7 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

We had a game called off January 2010 against Cardiff postponed due to a frozen pitch 

I remember the freezing rain too, my old man took one step outside and went flying. Still makes me smile 

10 minutes ago, ThatCityLife said:

We had a game called off January 2010 against Cardiff postponed due to a frozen pitch 

I remember the freezing rain too, my old man took one step outside and went flying. Still makes me smile 

I remember both, that gas game was lethal. Was half way up to the Cardiff game and had to turn round and spend the afternoon at my missus`s sister`s in Bridgwater where I`d dropped her off for her post-Christmas visit. I`d rather have sat in an empty AG TBH!

I'd won the previous home matches half time draw and was due to be presented with my cheque half time . Was in the Tap and Barrels with ma when it came on Sky Sports News the game was off to due ice on the walkways . Disappointed not to get me cash at the gas game. 

21 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Wasn't that one called off due to icy stands?  The pitch was protected but the steps was frozen solid in the stands and walkways. 

I remember that day due to my brother slipping on the pavement like a cartoon, almost slid under the minibus we was getting into. 

21 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I walked out the back door slid down the garden and into the lane at the back, turned around went back into the house and watched three accidents outside the front door.

26 minutes ago, ThatCityLife said:

The pitch was fine it was called off as it was dangerous to actually get to the ground due to the snow if I recall

7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Wouldn't matter if we didn't have it

how many games have we had called off in the last 25 years due to a frozen pitch? 3?

we aren't rovers we actually have decent ground staff

in this day and age its not usually the pitch that causes a game to be called off - its the public areas being unsafe due to ice etc.

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

The pitch was fine it was called off as it was dangerous to actually get to the ground due to the snow if I recall

No. A corner of the pitch at the Wedlock was frozen: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/8434012.stm

The rescheduled match was then played in snowy conditions: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/8451789.stm http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/photos/14136/fa-cup-photos-bristol-city-1-1-cardiff-city-gavin-williams-rescues-the-robins-in-the-snow.html?pid=2648

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Was racking me brains trying to remember who scored for us, I knew it was a midfielder who didn`t get many. Remember bloody Chopra scoring for them though!

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

in this day and age its not usually the pitch that causes a game to be called off - its the public areas being unsafe due to ice etc.

Was just going to make that point. Seems extra cautious since the 'where there's blame there's a claim' culture appeared, clubs are scared of being sued when ice and snow is on their land.

As for the pitch, I went on the Wembley tour last week. The guide said it was cut the day before as it was still growing due to the mild weather ( they have lights on it similar to ours and huge fans to circulate the air going all the time) He said if conditions are right they managed to put grass seed down in December last year. 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Was just going to make that point. Seems extra cautious since the 'where there's blame there's a claim' culture appeared, clubs are scared of being sued when ice and snow is on their land.

As for the pitch, I went on the Wembley tour last week. The guide said it was cut the day before as it was still growing due to the mild weather ( they have lights on it similar to ours and huge fans to circulate the air going all the time) He said if conditions are right they managed to put grass seed down in December last year. 

If conditions are right you could plant it on the moon.

Archived