IGNORED

Gareth Southgate, good luck, boss

reddogkev

Surprised we haven't all had a recent chin wag about Southgate's confirmation as England gaffer.

Big Tone, did your poll confirm he was our top choice?

I'm struggling to see any decent alternative, it seems that Gareth has earned his stripes and deserves a crack at the challenge.  I still find it odd though to have a man who is relatively inexperienced as a club manager. 

Hopefully he'll find a way to manage a route to at least the quarter finals in the next World Cup.

My one concern is practising penalties.  Whenever I see Gareth, my mind always flashes back to his penalty miss in '96.

30 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Surprised we haven't all had a recent chin wag about Southgate's confirmation as England gaffer.

I'm struggling to see any decent alternative, it seems that Gareth has earned his stripes and deserves a crack at the challenge.  I still find it odd though to have a man who is relatively inexperienced as a club manager. 

Hopefully he'll find a way to manage a route to at least the quarter finals in the next World Cup.

My one concern is practising penalties.  Whenever I see Gareth, my mind always flashes back to his penalty miss in '96.

No, Donald Trump won that one by a country mile.

Regrettably Gareth fails to fill me with any enthusiasm or confidence that things will get any better. In fact I fear the opposite.

If the new England manager selects players from unfancied teams who will have a pride in the shirt, drops lightweights like Henderson, plays a high-tempo, progressive, aggressive form of the game then he'll have my support.

Sadly, we've appointed Gareth Southgate. 

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

How?! It's a wholly uninspiring choice. Atleast with Allerdyce you felt we had a manager with experience and nous who would probably get more from our current mediocre squad than most could.

The FA love him because he's nice, won't rock the boat and knows the system having manager the u21s.

He seems a good guy so I hope he does well but whichever way you look at it it's really uninspiring. There's so much apathy about our national team now that no one seems to care that much about the appointment.

There doesn't appear to be many obvious options but it's one of the highest paying jobs in football - it would tempt a lot of managers on that basis alone.

I was intrigued we were apparently looking at the director of football at Leipzig, Ralf Rangnick. A real left field suggestion that would've been interesting. Would've preferred something out the box like that to Southgate. That system at Leipzig seems to be working really well..

www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/29/german-ralf-rangnick-wants-another-chance-to-pitch-for-england-j

Useless facts: 

1) They have changed dressing rooms since he has been in charge. 

2) When in the press room he chooses not to sit in the seat which until now has been favoured by every manager but in the seat normally the Captain sits in (to the managers right)

3) He puts photos of the opposition players above the cubby hole where the players get changed. The players get given a player to mark, it says their name, number, height and preferred foot.

You wouldn't know I went on the Wembley tour (again) a week ago would you...!

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

For those uninspired by him and doubting his ability to turn it round. - who could, who would realistically take the job.  A well paid poisoned chalice, that's about the sum of the England job.

if you have too choose a chalice, choose the wooden one :-)

17 hours ago, reddoh said:

if you have too choose a chalice, choose the wooden one :-)

Doesn't matter whether it's poisoned or wooden, you have to take a leap of faith first.

There is a distinct lack of "decent calibre" of managers to pick from at the moment, and fair enough he's done ok at lower international level, so I can kind of see why they've picked him (other than being the sort of yes man they want).

The thing that I don't get though, is he has accomplished nothing in his top flight managerial club career, so why the hell are they giving him a 4 year contract!? By all means give him until after the next tournament, and then the promise of an extension to that based on how well we do. Just means more compo they have to pay him when they inevitably sack him a few years down the line.

21 hours ago, RedM said:

Useless facts: 

1) They have changed dressing rooms since he has been in charge. 

2) When in the press room he chooses not to sit in the seat which until now has been favoured by every manager but in the seat normally the Captain sits in (to the managers right)

3) He puts photos of the opposition players above the cubby hole where the players get changed. The players get given a player to mark, it says their name, number, height and preferred foot.

You wouldn't know I went on the Wembley tour (again) a week ago would you...!

Surely sensitive information such as this is subject to the Official Secrets Act ?

Expect an imminent visit from the men in black (& I don't mean dodgy referees) Mrs Red M, ... beware the knock on the door, they're often disguised as Amazon, Iceland, Sainsbury, white van delivery men. (don't answer the door to any of 'em, you can't be too careful M  .... Happy Christmas btw, hope there's plenty tins of soup in the cupboards cos it'll be risky taking delivery of a turkey...

Dammit woman what were you thinking, divulging Gareth's strategy in these critical times?

21 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

He's about as inspiring as a wet halibut IMO

I like him personally. He has played international football and managed the under 21s. Perfect to gradually cast aside the failures and replace them with those who he knows will adapt to international football. 

Next year expect to see the likes of Ward-Prowse in the full squad. At least Henderson, Kane and Rooney will no longer take corners.

Archived