IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Ipswich Town Match Day Thread

Good day everyone,

I find myself rather uninspired by story telling today. What has not been written or what should be written about Ipswich that inspires. It did make me wonder though why a town would ram its welcome sign with so called inducing reasons to enter or to announce it is only 'in partnership' with another foreign town and not twinned with it...

instagram_ipswich.jpg

Arras is a rather fine town renown for its architecture and culture. I appreciate that Ipswich was a very important port, built the Mayflower and also has a few fine buildings but 'partnering' with Arras and not 'twinning' suggests the townsfolk of Suffolk either could not persuade Arras, or anyone else for that matter, or felt a little overwhelmed. I have a dilemma taking this further especially as Norwich seems to take great glee in taking a subtle swipe at their brethren to the south with their simple 'Fine City' moniker..

Norwich.jpg

I will leave you with a previous thread on the town below..

So let us talk about football and on the subject of Norwich; 5 straight defeats, City; 3 straight defeats, Rotherham; 3 straight defeats and Brentford; 3 straight defeats. Huddersfield and QPR sit below City in the overall form table but at 20th we are on a very concerning slide. perhaps Norwich fans would be excused for feeling a tad more concerned while Huddersfield, Brentford and us remain a little more stoic about relative declines. Ipswich sit 10th in that same form table and should give City their best opportunity in some weeks to recover some confidence. Should.

I am considering mixing up the Match Day thread in the weeks to come to discuss something perhaps only marginally related to the origin of our opposition. All in the spirit of keeping it interesting, sometimes amusing and hopefully relevant. We shall see.

I am refusing to predict an outcome today; in recent weeks I have been widely off the mark; many posters have been a lot more accurate than I so will leave it for those that reply to iterate their feelings on if, how and why we might turn it around. As for Norwich? I expect them to beat Brentford at home. I also expect Huddersfield to get a point at Ewood Park and Rotherham to do the same at Burton. City need to perform and they need to find a decent result.

17,500 at Ashton Gate today?

Enjoy the match everyone.

• Like 10

A fine morning to you, Havanatopia, and as suggested in your opening paragraph, there is something uninspiring about a match against Ipswich.  The tractor boys are a rather unglamorous outfit, but they do still have Mad Mick McCarthy at the helm, so at least he adds a source of interest.

What grips my attention about today is the fact that Ipswich have the same points as us, so it's going to be a refreshing change not to play a team settled in the top 3 of the league.

On that point, I find it amazing that we've just played teams currently ranked places 2nd, 3rd, 4th.  Frankly, coming away from that sequence bereft of points is no need for concern, especially when you look at the exciting, attacking football we produced for large patches of the two away games.

Today's game has all the makings of a dour, hard-fought match; I'm going for City to score the deciding goal, and Wilbs to come from the bench to grab it in the last 15 minutes.  The safe money would be on a 1-1 draw.  Here's hoping I'm wrong and it turns into a six-goal thriller....

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Edited by reddogkev

Good post as ever Havana though, as you say, it must be difficult to keep saying something interesting about the same teams. I like your idea of mixing it up a bit by talking about marginally related topics, as going off at a tangent would be in the spirit of the forum. 

Hopefully the picture below will reflect today's result for the tractor boys 

image.png

• Like 8

It will be interesting to see the team selection today following LJ's comments about changes. With Bryan suspended Golbourne likely to come in (a better defender imo), I wonder if Engvall will play a part or even start, maybe as a wide player instead of Pattison? I also expect O'Dowda to figure somewhere, might he rest Tomlin to the bench to fire him up a bit?

Good day one and all. As always thank you Havanatopia for stimulating thoughts. Look forward to the results if you decide to mix things up a bit with up-and-coming threads.

So on the subject of results and mixing things up.....it will be interesting to see what changes LJ elects to make today especially given that, other than Joe, he has everyone available, I somehow fancy Tomo won't see out 90 minutes, unless he puts on a master class. Personally I'd be delighted if we start with two up front although as others have debated just who and how this is best achieved is a real conundrum. See it finishing 1-1 although hoping of course we sneak it 2-1.

My main hope is that we play really well for 90 minutes, which is something we have not done as yet this season. 

Enjoy the game everyone and let's really show our vocal support throughout.

COYR.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

It will be interesting to see the team selection today following LJ's comments about changes. With Bryan suspended Golbourne likely to come in (a better defender imo), I wonder if Engvall will play a part or even start, maybe as a wide player instead of Pattison? I also expect O'Dowda to figure somewhere, might he rest Tomlin to the bench to fire him up a bit?

I think today's team selection will be very interesting to see,in light of LJ's comments this week. 

I think his main change will be to have 2 up front. 

I think there is every chance he might go 3-5-2. 

Moore, Flint & Magners at the back.

Tomlin, Pack,GON, Reid, Brownhill  

Tammy & Gustav/Wilbs  

Got a feeling that Magnusson may be moved to left back today, and that Taylor Moore will come in alongside Flint. Further forward i would expect Freeman (or possibly O'Dowda) to come into the team to ensure we have width. The problem i find with Patterson, is that he keeps wanting to move inside and all he does is congest things and makes us easy to defend against. 

4-2-3-1

Fielding

Moore / Flint / Magnusson / Goldbourne

Pack / O'Neil

Gustav / Tomlin / Freeman

Tammy

Think he may go all out attack today. Whilst we've played strong teams we've lost three on the bounce and there is no reason not to try something different. We need to be more creative and get support to Tammy quicker. Harsh on Reid who I think is playing well, but can't see Johnson dropping Tomlin

26 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Think play Freeman instead of Paterson. We will win 2-0. Coyr!

Hopefully Freeman is fully fit to start, we've missed him.

2-0 would be a satisfactory scoreline, and one that really shouldn't be beyond us - Ipswich at home are ideal opponents to halt this poor run, a very ordinary and beatable team.

It will be a cause for concern if we fail to do so.