IGNORED

Child safeguarding in football clubs

TinMan's left peg

1 hour ago, TinMan's left peg said:

With the child abuse scandal apparently involving football clubs up and down the country might it be a good idea for the club to make public it's child protection procedures and policies? I'm sure they are very good but it would be reassuring to know some details. @AdamB

I agree.  All schools colleges and universities are required to publish their safeguarding policies, so why not football clubs?  It should be standard for any organisation which works with children or vulnerable adults.  That said, I assume that City do have such policies and that all the staff are DBS checked.

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I agree.  All schools colleges and universities are required to publish their safeguarding policies, so why not football clubs?  It should be standard for any organisation which works with children or vulnerable adults.  That said, I assume that City do have such policies and that all the staff are DBS checked.

City could actually be a leader on this, set the standards for others to follow. 

5 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I'm afraid the DBS check isn't worth the paper it's written on,it won't tell you if somebody has been accused of these things,only people who have been prosecuted will show up which of course is a bit late. I don't know what the answer is tho 

JJT that is not correct. Enhanced DBS checks identifies information on individuals who have not been convicted of crimes if it is relevant.

Bristol City will have safeguarding policies in place and the FA have clear guidelines to follow. BCFC will have a childrens welfare officer. Clubs who do not have proper procedures in place can be suspended from running junior teams via the FA safeguarding review panel.

Safeguarding children workshops are now also a mandatory part of coaching courses

18 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

JJT that is not correct. Enhanced DBS checks identifies information on individuals who have not been convicted of crimes if it is relevant.

Bristol City will have safeguarding policies in place and the FA have clear guidelines to follow. BCFC will have a childrens welfare officer. Clubs who do not have proper procedures in place can be suspended from running junior teams via the FA safeguarding review panel.

Safeguarding children workshops are now also a mandatory part of coaching courses

Glad to be proven wrong on this point,just going on when I had to do it which was about 10 years ago

If the Chairman etc are in direct contact with kids and are coaching / refereeing the answer is yes. If you are involved in kids football and occasionally need to get a parent to step in to help out that parent should be checked.

Things have changed from a few years ago let alone ten. Abuse can take differing forms and often be more a case of naivety, where kids can be treated unfairly (omission etc) rather than anything sinister. If people have doubts any responsible Junior football club will have a welfare officer and the Somerset/Gloucs FA can instantly offer advice.

36 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Out of interest @Cowshed away from professional clubs do chairman or treasurers at local clubs have to be DBS checked now because they didn't used to be because they were not in contact with the kids which I thought was rather strange 

It's the case in cricket, we have a child welfare officer in place, captains have to be DBS checked as do chairman. However it is a lot more common for under 18n's to be playing against men, so it's a necessity really.

Archived