IGNORED

Winning ugly.

Robbored

A win is a win after all and well done to City for doing just that.

Ipswich come for a draw and apart from Fieldings terrific save from McGoldrick mid way through the second half they rarely troubled the City goal.

No idea why the penalty was awarded, I was at the wrong angle to tell but Tomlin put it away perfectly and Freemans volley must be in the running for goal of the season.

I was a little disappointed not to see Engvall get 10 mins. I've looking forward to see what he's like.

Overall, a forgettable match but three points after three defeats - just what needed.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A win is a win after all and well done to City for doing just that.

Ipswich come for a draw and apart from Fieldings terrific save from McGoldrick mid way through the second half they rarely troubled the City goal.

No idea why the penalty was awarded, I was at the wrong angle to tell but Tomlin put it away perfectly and Freemans volley must be in the running for goal of the season.

I was a little disappointed not to see Engvall get 10 mins. I've looking forward to see what he's like.

Overall, a forgettable match but three points after three defeats - just what needed.

Erm, so a clear foul by their GK to which he didnt complain ( no mean feat for footballers nowadays ), means you question how it was given?!

19 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Very important save from Fielding. Was a strange game, we weren't great, but I thought we looked solid defensively. 

Frankie Fielding's in the building.  

That was an impressive chant that seemed to go on for ages and he pulled off that tremendous save so he must have been inspired! 

6 minutes ago, nickolas said:

You mustve been the ref at reading then!

Right behind it in the Atyeo and honestly I wouldn't have given it. There was contact, Tammy was brought down but for me the ball was going out of play with or without the goalkeeper closing him down. The contact caused us no disadvantage it was simply the difference between a goal kick or a pen. In those instances I think a pen is too much. 

However, moments later we had a clear cut pen not given at a corner. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Right behind it in the Atyeo and honestly I wouldn't have given it. There was contact, Tammy was brought down but for me the ball was going out of play with or without the goalkeeper closing him down. The contact caused us no disadvantage it was simply the difference between a goal kick or a pen. In those instances I think a pen is too much. 

It doesn't matters if the ball is going out or not, it was a foul.

38 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

It doesn't matters if the ball is going out or not, it was a foul.

Exactly. I thought it was harsh considering he was going away from goal with little threat but the keeper should've read that situation better and not made contact. I'd moan if it was against us as well but it is still a foul. 

On the subject of refs and decisions, did anyone think Wilbs was lucky to only receive a yellow for his challenge? Was right in front of me and his boot was a good foot to foot and a half off the ground and think it ripped Berra's boot a bit. Was a horrible challenge. 

The Ref seemed to take an age to give it, maybe checked with his linesman? Happy to have a penalty awarded after the one I witnessed last week.

Strange performance, thought we looked a bit leggy towards the end of the first half like it was the end of a match with extra time. I had feeling Freeman was going to score today, I really did. I saw a few of the Ipswich players afterwards and they admitted it was a great goal and unstoppable.

16 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

They reminded me of Swindon, the way they held our players every time we had a corner. I don't understand why the officials ignore it.

Already giving the dodgy penalty might have had something to do with their leniency. 

From where I was sat from (W12  Lansdown Stand), there may have been late contact for the penalty, but the ball was in row Z of the Atyeo by that time, so was a little surprised it was given.

We had a shocker given against us last week. Swings and roundabouts.  

26 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

They reminded me of Swindon, the way they held our players every time we had a corner. I don't understand why the officials ignore it.

Agree totally.

How did their number 6 escape a card?

The time he leapt into Flinty,  grabbed him around the neck and hauled him down was a more clear cut penalty than the one that was given IMO.

21 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Exactly. I thought it was harsh considering he was going away from goal with little threat but the keeper should've read that situation better and not made contact. I'd moan if it was against us as well but it is still a foul. 

On the subject of refs and decisions, did anyone think Wilbs was lucky to only receive a yellow for his challenge? Was right in front of me and his boot was a good foot to foot and a half off the ground and think it ripped Berra's boot a bit. Was a horrible challenge. 

I don't think it was as bad as you have made it sound. We all know in today's game that if it was that bad, the Ipswich players would have caused a scene!!

23 minutes ago, redapple said:

I was screaming for a penalty from W11, but nobody else was and I was initially a bit embarrassed. But when the ref took note of my appeal and pointed to the spot I felt a warm glow of satisfaction. 

We screamed too.....ref looked round, must've been looking at you then...;)

We played a less attractive and less risky game today. At Birmingham we gambled by being open and unluckily lost that gamble. Same against reading. Unlucky pen and a screamer aside we matched them. Today was all about the result, so less intricate one touch stuff and more straight get up the pitch. It worked. We were never seriously outnumbered or caught on the break. 2 holding style midfielders at home and two up front. 

47 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Agree totally.

How did their number 6 escape a card?

The time he leapt into Flinty,  grabbed him around the neck and hauled him down was a more clear cut penalty than the one that was given IMO.

Agreed, from the moment after he played up when Wilbs caught him, he was lucky to get away with the persistent holding, pushing, and shirt pulling.

34 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Can get away with at against a really poor ipswich side....won't work against the more fluent sides.

Remember that City had lost the last three games so today, whoever the opposition was the game was likely to scrappy and it was.

City were never likely to play expansive style given recent results.

People talking about the win not being the best performance. In all honesty, in this league, that is the formula to success. Keep it tight a don't concede and more likely to win a game. We should have been doing this for a while now. Open and expansive does not work in the championship as opposition are too focussed on closing down and winning the ball back and counter attacking. If we try and play open and expansive and have players that don't possess enough quality to hold on to the ball or move it on quickly, it fails.

i hope LJ has learnt a tactical lesson from today and will use it moving forward

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

So if a player is punched in the box or there is a handball then it's not a penalty if we wasn't disadvantaged? Total bull.

Archived