IGNORED

Cinema

Fiale

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I tend to agree, but for massive block busters it's the only way to see a film without learning of the endings before hand

I would add that investing in the Directors Hall at Cabot is well worth it too. I only go to the cinema about twice a year so worth paying the fiver extra.

Saw Arrival the other day, what a fantastic film - and how poignant the overarching message of 'communication is king' after the year we've had (I'm thinking mostly Brexit)! Amy Adams is her on worst enemy in terms of winning an Oscar but she might well get it with this one.

I'm no fan of Marvel films but Guardians of the Galaxy was great fun.

5 hours ago, internetjef said:

Aren't we still waiting on most of vol 2? Don't tell me I missed it?

We will get to hear it this movie - just wondering if the third film will have vol 3 and how the tape will get to him in this 2nd movie (if one exists).

6 hours ago, Fiale said:

So many good films coming out soon - 

The 3rd reboot of Spiderman, let's hope they get it right this time.

Does seem Marvel is taking more of the Deadpool comedy approach in some ways now.

Not sure about this reboot. He looks too young, costume doesn't look great in my opinion. May just be too many reboots within the last two decades for it to work.

On the other hand, may actually be a great movie!

11 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Does seem Marvel is taking more of the Deadpool comedy approach in some ways now.

Not sure about this reboot. He looks too young, costume doesn't look great in my opinion. May just be too many reboots within the last two decades for it to work.

On the other hand, may actually be a great movie!

He does seem to be more the cheeky kid looking/missing a father in this remake. In the comics he was in high school when infected so I guess in the reboot we are going to go over all that ground again. Personally I will just accept anything at the moment that actually moves his story along and not have to see Uncle Ben die yet again, for him to be bitten yet again....

I think Marvel have caught on that the super hero movies can have their unique styles, 1950's detective, rich gadget playboys, space sci-fi fans, spy thriller, etc... and have set up quite the milking machine - DC should look at their formulas and try to imitate it a little to get their characters on the screen more. 

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

He does seem to be more the cheeky kid looking/missing a father in this remake. In the comics he was in high school when infected so I guess in the reboot we are going to go over all that ground again. Personally I will just accept anything at the moment that actually moves his story along and not have to see Uncle Ben die yet again, for him to be bitten yet again....

I think Marvel have caught on that the super hero movies can have their unique styles, 1950's detective, rich gadget playboys, space sci-fi fans, spy thriller, etc... and have set up quite the milking machine - DC should look at their formulas and try to imitate it a little to get their characters on the screen more. 

DC films seem to take themselves too seriously. They're like the edgy emo kid determined to do "his own thing" but just looking like imitators.

On 09/12/2016 at 15:32, Red Right Hand said:

I see Suicide Squad is out on DVD. Is it worth shelling out fifteen quid of my hard earned for (or asking for it for Christmas)

No.

Worse than Barman v Superman.

The only saviour is Margot Robbie's ass in short shorts. 

Doubt you'll watch the film twice, unless you skip to Margot ;)

On 09/12/2016 at 15:32, Red Right Hand said:

I see Suicide Squad is out on DVD. Is it worth shelling out fifteen quid of my hard earned for (or asking for it for Christmas)

It's a very strange film, they seem to have not been able to decide on a storyline so there are multiple streams running but none of them really played out fully. They also chose a baddie/enemy who was simply to strong for the squad to defeat, so the ending is pretty cheesy. Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining, but you don't leave the cinema thinking you just saw a great movie, just that it was ok...

On 12/9/2016 at 15:32, Red Right Hand said:

This was an unusual one. I heard all the negativity going into it and didn't expect much at all. In the end it thoroughly suprised me and I actually enjoyed it. But maybe that was because I was expecting something far worse?

As for cinema in general, it is a rip off nowadays. Shame as an enjoyable expierience I find.

I can't agree enough with the poster above who said use the Director's Hall in Showcase De Lux at Cabot. For an extra fiver you get a popcorn and coke, access to the posh bar beforehand and a lush screen with your own leather armchair and table. Table service included if you order drinks/food. For an extra five bone, well worth it IMO.

6 hours ago, Fiale said:

The new Alien film, it is a prequel showing the origins - though also following Prometheus, so I guess a bridging film bringing those to stories / worlds together.

Prometheus had far to much style over substance. This one looks much closer to the original. 

Archived