IGNORED

City's best ever goalkeeper?

reddogkev

Randomly popped into my head earlier - who is City's top keeper?

I couldn't say with 100% conviction, so who do you feel is the finest Keeper to wear a City shirt?

My main two contenders are Welch and Basso (I can't comment on anyone before 1994).

If only he was here longer and during a time when we were successful, I wonder if Heaton would have became a contender?

Personally, I'm not throwing DJ's name into the hat, despite his previous pedigree in the Prem / England etc.

17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Sadly, I've never heard of him!  When did he play for City?  Is he the genuine answer to the question?

The Sweden number one. Played in goal for Malmo in the 1979 European Cup Final v Forest. Joined City in 1980 and left in 1982. A great keeper. Mike Gibson was also a decent keeper just a bit on the short side even back then let alone by modern standards. John Shaw had a brilliant season in 77-78 and was really the best Scottish keeper that season but never got picked with George Wood at Everton and Alan Rough being favoured.

Isn't it mad that a keeper who made over 50 appearances for England and has the second most clean sheets in the Premier League, won't be considered for this!!

Anyway, in terms of ability, probably Jan Moller.

My favourite however, Keith Waugh.

24 minutes ago, Dolman Original said:

Bob Anderson was a good 'un. Probably have to go for Gibson though. Considering his height he was magnificent. 

Bo Anderson was much maligned.  I remember him making a world-class save (Banks-esque) at Stockport on a day when it poured with biblical intensity. I couldn't believe it wasn't all over the TV, it was that good.

I'm only saying this to make it look like I'm a committed away supporter when really I'm thinking "Steve Phillips".

In my time (since 1975) I would have to say Jan Moller, he was awesome, with honourable mentions to John Shaw and Keith Welch.

I asked my old man who has ben watching City since the 50's and, without hesitation, he said Mike Gibson by an absolute mile. I never saw him play but dad was adamant he was special.

Can only comment on those I've seen, obviously, but in my living memory my personal best is Keith Waugh...Welchy is right up there too, and Mercer would have been as well if it wasn't for his injury. 

I've also no doubt that Tom Heaton would have been regarded as one of the finest had he stayed.  I liked him at the time, even though he seemed to be a little marmite on here.

48 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Isn't it mad that a keeper who made over 50 appearances for England and has the second most clean sheets in the Premier League, won't be considered for this!!

Anyway, in terms of ability, probably Jan Moller.

My favourite however, Keith Waugh.

He was good in his day Glyn just not particularly good for us!

Another one that impressed me on loan was Sieb Dykstra. Good keeper IMHO.

Jan Moller was our goalkeeper when I started going to games but I was only about 8 years old so can't really remember what he was like. I just remember him looking very tall.

I liked Waugh, but I think the best in my time so far would have to be Welch and Basso. I really enjoyed watching both of them play. Special mention goes to Andy Leaning as well for saving Hollowhead's penalty in that "Donowa" game against the blue few.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Mike Gibson every day of the week and twice on Sunday, agile, brave, reliable, loyal and a great character, IMHO knocked all of the other pretenders into a cocked hat.

Are you my dad Es as that's pretty much exactly what he said to me? :blink:

I knew Gibson was held in high regard by many but was he really THAT good?  My old man is generally underwhelmed about anything to do with BCFC although he loves the club, he's just a cynical old fart but he was a different bloke when chatting about Mike Gibson. 

Archived