IGNORED

City players to travel late Christmas day says Joe Bryan

Never to the dark side

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Do you think the travelling time is based on clear roads, player rest or just to make sure they haven't been on the drink on Christmas day?

I mean, I can't imagine any of these results were possibly effected by players having made themselves socially relaxed on the 25th.

A_EVbxrCcAAntfQ.jpg

Blimey, if that happened today the Gillette Saturday vidiprinter would explode. 

Looking at the weather for the time it was very rainy unlike the december of 1962

There also seems a bit more thought to distances having to travel

Train services were also starting to change, although trains to the best of my knowledge,ran on Boxing day 1963

Blackpool    1-5    Chelsea    could Blackpool not go to Blackburn?
Burnley    6-1    Manchester United    
Fulham    10-1    Ipswich Town    
Leicester City    2-0    Everton  swap round with fixture below
Liverpool    6-1    Stoke City    
Nottingham Forest    3-3    Sheffield United    
Sheffield Wednesday    3-0    Bolton Wanderers    
West Bromwich Albion    4-4    Tottenham Hotspur    some one has to lose out
West Ham United    2-8    Blackburn Rovers    west ham could go to chelsea
Wolverhampton Wndrs    3-3    Aston Villa    

7 hours ago, bcfcchris2016 said:

Blimey, if that happened today the Gillette Saturday vidiprinter would explode. 

Before the vidiprinter, back in black and white TV days, there was the good old teleprinter. It was exciting if City was playing away, as the teams and the scores would slowly appear on the screen. 

Top Scorers[edit]

Rank Player Club Goals
1 England Jimmy Greaves Tottenham Hotspur 35
2 England Fred Pickering Blackburn Rovers / Everton 32
= Republic of Ireland Andy McEvoy Blackburn Rovers 32
4 England Roger Hunt Liverpool 31
5 Scotland Denis Law Manchester United 30
6 England Ray Crawford Ipswich Town / Wolverhampton Wanderers 28

Just found this list of top 6 goalscorers for the season 63/64 - and we go on about 20 goals a season being a decent return.

I always fondly remember Boxing Day games in the 60's,rammed in like sardines- usually the biggest crowd of the season - hip flasks full of Chritmas booze being passed around and a smog of cigar smoke replacing  the usual cigarette haze - oh and plenty of goals.

Why is there not a full fixture list on Christmas Eve? Seems a complete waste of a Saturday -surely everybody has got their shopping done by then.

Possibly mid day kick offs with fixtures arranged to save travelling and get fans back home in time for Santa. City v Cardiff would have been a cracker!

Players get plenty of time off on International breaks and 3 months in the summer so not too much to ask surely.

13 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Why is there not a full fixture list on Christmas Eve? Seems a complete waste of a Saturday -surely everybody has got their shopping done by then.

Possibly mid day kick offs with fixtures arranged to save travelling and get fans back home in time for Santa. City v Cardiff would have been a cracker!

Players get plenty of time off on International breaks and 3 months in the summer so not too much to ask surely.

Speak for yourself! I haven't started shopping yet. 

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Top Scorers[edit]

Rank Player Club Goals
1 England Jimmy Greaves Tottenham Hotspur 35
2 England Fred Pickering Blackburn Rovers / Everton 32
= Republic of Ireland Andy McEvoy Blackburn Rovers 32
4 England Roger Hunt Liverpool 31
5 Scotland Denis Law Manchester United 30
6 England Ray Crawford Ipswich Town / Wolverhampton Wanderers 28

Just found this list of top 6 goalscorers for the season 63/64 - and we go on about 20 goals a season being a decent return.

I always fondly remember Boxing Day games in the 60's,rammed in like sardines- usually the biggest crowd of the season - hip flasks full of Chritmas booze being passed around and a smog of cigar smoke replacing  the usual cigarette haze - oh and plenty of goals.

Crawford was shooting blanks on Boxing day 1963 though or had they already sold him to Wolves ?!

Archived