IGNORED

LJ - Barnsley fan in peace

Redarmy1

6 hours ago, Rob k said:

Hourihane was watched by City on a few occasions, as were a few other Devon based lads, Grimes, Nichols, Moore-Taylor and Nelson. 

We opted to go down the Korey smith, wagstaff, freeman, Ayling route instead. 

We should do whatever we can to try and get Hourihane in Jan but you feel it's to late.

Although not Devon based don't forget Marley Watkins was also watched by us when at Hereford & ICT.

Another 'Barnsley fan' just sharing their views about LJ, '...in peace', '... I don't wish BCFC harm, but...', ... etc.

I think this runs deeper than football and I'm starting to think LJ must have kicked someones whippet?

These insights from Barnsley fans of LJ's time there make fascinating reading. 

LJ is showing the same stubborn traits, and making the same errors at AG a year later - so it now seems clear he's not willing to learn from his mistakes, or alter his ways, unless circumstance forces his hand.

It's surely not a good thing for a 'young, up and coming manager' to be so apparently set in his ways at such a young age. At this stage in his still fledgling career it should all be about willingness to learn from his peers, taking things on board, adapting his ideas accordingly, and becoming a better manager for doing so.

The great concern remains that although LJ is an unusually adept, personable, and convincing media operator, there is still little evidence on the pitch to suggest he is the 'outstanding young coach' we were led to believe.

Just as likely, I'm afraid, is that he'll turn out entirely unexceptional, or - perish the thought - to have already been promoted beyond his capabilty.

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I just enjoy the Barnsley fans coming on here like we care about them. LJ is like an academy prospect. He needs time just like a young footballer would. He needs the experience in coaching. We play some lovely stuff under him. It's not creating or scoring that's a problem(every team goes through stretches where the ball doesn't seem to want to hit the back of the net). The problem is soft goals on set pieces. It's still a coaching thing but I trust him to sort it out. 

His time at Barnsley and Oldham is irrelevant to me. The Barnsley fans only come out of the woodwork recently. Until then we've had top 6 form under him(last year included). They're just like some of the OTIB lot that didn't want him. Just sharpening the knives until they could use them. It's pathetic tbh. Most of us back the manager and the set up. You don't know our situation. You see LJ, results and what we spent in the summer. Results aren't so important this year as long as we stay up. We aren't getting battered at all, we have a similar goals scored and goals conceded as top 6 teams. We are young and still developing. The club is growing on and off the pitch. I'm happy with that. If your club is so dire you need to come on here to have you irrelevant opinions have meaning then that's your problem. We are all good here. You go ahead and finish above us and have a great year. I'm happy for you. It's as good as it will get for you. Then you can watch Hourihan leave for free, watch Armstrong go back to Newcastle and watch your best young players like Winnall and Bree leave to bigger clubs and not invest much of that back. 

I couod respect Barnsley if their fans weren't so delusional and pompous. Like I do Preston. They finished above us last season and probably will again. Their few come on and give honest assessments of things. I can respect that. I can't respect insults from an irrelevant club who's angry their little manager left their club for Bristol City. Not Man City or even Swansea City but Bristol City. Never mind I can see why that stings.

Really? I thought the absolute minimum requirement for LJ is that we visibly progress from last season.

Finish higher in the table, establish a Bristol City playing style, which, if results aren't too important like you say, at least gives impetus for fans to turn up knowing they'll be entertained, and indeed feel minded to continue to back the 'long term project' by renewing their ST's.

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ is showing the same stubborn traits, and making the same errors at AG a year later - so it now seems clear he's not willing to learn from his mistakes, or alter his ways, unless circumstance forces his hand.

It's surely not a good thing for a 'young, up and coming manager' to be so apparently set in his ways at such a young age. At this stage in his still fledgling career it should all be about willingness to learn from his peers, taking things on board, adapting his ideas accordingly, and becoming a better manager for doing so.

The great concern remains that although LJ is an unusually adept, personable, and convincing media operator, there is still little evidence on the pitch to suggest he is the 'outstanding young coach' we were led to believe.

Just as likely, I'm afraid, is that he'll turn out entirely unexceptional, or - perish the thought - to have already been promoted beyond his capabilty.

Really? I thought the absolute minimum requirement for LJ is that we visibly progress from last season.

Finish higher in the table, establish a Bristol City playing style, which, if results aren't too important like you say, at least gives impetus for fans to turn up knowing they'll be entertained, and indeed feel minded to continue to back the 'long term project' by renewing their ST's.

We are being entertained though. We playing a good brand of football. I think anyone would say that. We've suffered from not putting away the chance and we are still scoring more than most teams in the league. It's visable that we are playing a good style of football. Our problem is scoring first and stopping set pieces. 

We'd all like to finish higher in the table but how realistic is it? We are new to the league in our second year. Teams go to the premier league and for the first few years the goal is to stay up. Why any different in the championship? You could argue the step from L1 to championship is just as hard as championship to prem. We need to establish ourselves first in this league. Walk before we run. We're still getting the infrastructure in place. We all want things to happen faster but it isn't realistic. You're looking at things too broadly. We need to finish higher than last year. No, last year was almost a completely different squad and the end of the year we had 5 loan players. You have to improve over the year. Sure we started quickly then we had a bad run. What we need to see is more consistency in the second half of the season. That's progress. Not finishing higher in a season not relevant to this one. 

We need to stick to the rebuilding plan. We're rebuilding not just a squad but an entire club. Rebuilding the academy, the stadium, the coaching staff and the playing staff. New infrastructure everywhere and we are less than 6 months into it. Keep adding to the coaches, physios and scouts. Keeping adding youth to the academy. Keep training the new young investments so they're ready. Not put pressure on them by saying it's a failure if we don't finish higher than 18th(which I think we'll do anyway). First half of the year we got what? 27?28 points? Next 23 I would like to see 32-35 points. That's progress. Everyone else could pick up the same amount of points and we finish 17th on 60 points. That's more points than last year but barely higher in the table. Would that not be an improvement though? Give this some time. 3 windows isn't a smokescreen. It's reality. How can a manager expect to do things his way when the set up around him is set up completely different from how he wants it? He showed he can do it last year. Now give him and the lads a couple years to improve. No one gets significantly better in 4 months. If by January next year we are in 17th on 25 points then I'd be worried but I think next year is when the real fun will start. 

The only reason you gave beef with my comments is simply because you can unfortunately Associate with them.  At no point have I gone into a slanging match regarding bristolians in general. I am giving you an honest assessment of LJ. Whether Warranted or requested .  The reality is this , I have more than likely been watching football for a lot longer than a lot of the folk who have replied.  Out of everything that I have posted I fail to see where the pomposity is - the exact opposite if the person who stated this cared to read them properly.

i just don't like LJ and in my opinion (for what little it's now worth in your eyes) is a poor manager who talks a good game

for me the term 'good young manager' is now angled at EVERY manager who is young when in reality they have achieved very little.  LJ is NOT a good manager - all his talks of dynamics used to drive me insane.  The best football managers are not always tactically savvy but good man managers.  All my opinion of course!

in the day and age of freedom of speech I don't understand the mentality of a few on here.  All I have done is draw a big comparison with what we experienced

as for house prices zoopla isn't really a good yardstick . Let me educate the poster- if someone buys a repossession a lot cheaper than market value then zoopla will only calculate house price increases in the area on top of this knockdown figure - unless someone can actually be bothered to edit the value via zoopla.  

Ive never been to Bristol so can't comment, all I can say is that I'm sure it's like everywhere else in the UK . It's got it's expensive parts and other parts where you wouldn't want to put the ex wife (maybe I wouldn't go that far as the worse the better).  Some areas of Barnsley command £250-300000 for a 2 bed terrace. Others £30000.  

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Redarmy1 said:

i just don't like LJ and in my opinion (for what little it's now worth in your eyes) is a poor manager who talks a good game

for me the term 'good young manager' is now angled at EVERY manager who is young when in reality they have achieved very little.  LJ is NOT a good manager

HI @Redarmy1 Just curious, how much of your dislike for LJ comes from the way he left your club?

Just wonder if he had seen the season through and won the JPT whether you (and many others) would feel the same?

How does someone qualify as a "good young manager"? 

Assumedly as they are young they wont have won anything (if much) at this stage of their career?

Ive never been to Bristol so can't comment, 

The reality is this , I have more than likely been watching football for a lot longer than a lot of the folk who have replied. 

You must have been watching the Tykes for over 20/20 years then? Fancy never coming to the mecca :whistle:

You should make the effort on 22nd April , you may be pleasantly surprised by how nice AG8 is now?

6 minutes ago, Redarmy1 said:

The only reason you gave beef with my comments is simply because you can unfortunately Associate with them.  At no point have I gone into a slanging match regarding bristolians in general. I am giving you an honest assessment of LJ. Whether Warranted or requested .  The reality is this , I have more than likely been watching football for a lot longer than a lot of the folk who have replied.  Out of everything that I have posted I fail to see where the pomposity is - the exact opposite if the person who stated this cared to read them properly.

for me the term 'good young manager' is now angled at EVERY manager who is young when in reality they have achieved very little.  LJ is NOT a good manager - all his talks of dynamics used to drive me insane.  The best football managers are not always tactically savvy but good man managers.  All my opinion of course!

in the day and age of freedom of speech I don't understand the mentality of a few on here.  All I have done is draw a big comparison with what we experienced

as for house prices zoopla isn't really a good yardstick . Let me educate the poster- if someone buys a repossession a lot cheaper than market value then zoopla will only calculate house price increases in the area on top of this knockdown figure - unless someone can actually be bothered to edit the value via zoopla.  

Ive never been to Bristol so can't comment, all I can say is that I'm sure it's like everywhere else in the UK . It's got it's expensive parts and other parts where you wouldn't want to put the ex wife (maybe I wouldn't go that far as the worse the better).  Some areas of Barnsley command £250-300000 for a 2 bed terrace. Others £30000.  

Let's face it, what really upset you was that LJ thought BCFC was a bigger club than Barnsley, hence all the vitriol against him from Barnsley fans.

I think most City fans are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at present and another transfer window to rebalance the squad following Kodjia going at the end of the last window which wasn't planned, if we'd still had him we'd still be in around the play-offs but we had to cash in with what was on offer. There's a chance for us to spend some of that money on a replacement now and I predict a strong finish to the season.

15 minutes ago, Redarmy1 said:

I got to be brutally honest here. Your vendetta against LJ really annoys me and the things you say is completely untrue.

I consider LJ to be one of our own, he bleeds Bristol City. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, he will always take the time to talk to anyone.

He is a decent family man (that was part of his motive for joining us)  you say he is not a good man manager? From what I've seen I'd say he is an excellent man manager. But I guess you know about Bristol City more than us hey? LJ cares about each and every employee of Bristol City all down to the tea lady, he recognises that if each employee is looked after then you can extract the maximum performance from them.

I could listen to LJ talk football all day long and never get bored.

Maybe you should Google Bristol to see what a great City this is!

23 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I got to be brutally honest here. Your vendetta against LJ really annoys me and the things you say is completely untrue.

I consider LJ to be one of our own, he bleeds Bristol City. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, he will always take the time to talk to anyone.

He is a decent family man (that was part of his motive for joining us)  you say he is not a good man manager? From what I've seen I'd say he is an excellent man manager. But I guess you know about Bristol City more than us hey? LJ cares about each and every employee of Bristol City all down to the tea lady, he recognises that if each employee is looked after then you can extract the maximum performance from them.

I could listen to LJ talk football all day long and never get bored.

Maybe you should Google Bristol to see what a great City this is!

Agree with everything here.  

39 minutes ago, Redarmy1 said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57236866.html#

Not sure whether I should envy this chump in Barnsley being able to buy a 2 bed terrace for £30K, or whether I should pity him, £30K wasn't even enough to buy a mid rank garage around the corner from me. We all know all areas have good and bad parts, saying that though, the cheapest parts of Bristol are more expensive than the priciest parts of Barnsley. Does that mean generally Bristol is a generally a better, more desirable place to live? The numbers would seem to say it is. Anyway, I sort of don't blame him for not visiting now, sometimes it can be depressing to see how the other half live. We all know Lee had no hesitation in 'upping sticks' and returning to civilisation, he may not have the option Lee did.

You can doubt the zoopla figure and produce some which disprove what we all know. Or you can crack on with installing an indoor toilet, apparently it can add thousands to home, think of all the 'Barnsley Chops', takeaways and whippet food you can buy with that.

Btw OTIB'ers, I know I maybe sounding snobby, but this lad has come here to wind us up, me thinks the little troll deserves a taste of his own medicine and a reality check.

33 minutes ago, zombie said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57236866.html#

Not sure whether I should envy this chump in Barnsley being able to buy a 2 bed terrace for £30K, or whether I should pity him, £30K wasn't even enough to buy a mid rank garage around the corner from me. We all know all areas have good and bad parts, saying that though, the cheapest parts of Bristol are more expensive than the priciest parts of Barnsley. Does that mean generally Bristol is a generally a better, more desirable place to live? The numbers would seem to say it is. Anyway, I sort of don't blame him for not visiting now, sometimes it can be depressing to see how the other half live. We all know Lee had no hesitation in 'upping sticks' and returning to civilisation, he may not have the option Lee did.

You can doubt the zoopla figure and produce some which disprove what we all know. Or you can crack on with installing an indoor toilet, apparently it can add thousands to home, think of all the 'Barnsley Chops', takeaways and whippet food you can buy with that.

Btw OTIB'ers, I know I maybe sounding snobby, but this lad has come here to wind us up, me thinks the little troll deserves a taste of his own medicine and a reality check.

You would have to treble my salary to tempt me to live in Barnsley-then I'm sure it wouldn't be too long before I could take no more...I'd rather be in Glasgow.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The only one who gave fascinating reading was that Whitey fella, he was very well balanced in his views.

These 2 clowns and Saul Dingle... sorry Goodman clearly have an axe to grind with LJ. If the man is so unspectacular, such a mediocre manager then they should be very happy he left not constantly making jibes against the guy, so why do they berate him?

Only time will tell but we are beginning to run out of it.

Not sure why the Barnsley fans are being abused by the happy clapping remain campaigners? But I'm hearing nothing more than I already suspected. I do hope to be proved wrong because I am sick to the back teeth of Bristol City's groundhog days.

3 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Only time will tell but we are beginning to run out of it.

Not sure why the Barnsley fans are being abused by the happy clapping remain campaigners? But I'm hearing nothing more than I already suspected. I do hope to be proved wrong because I am sick to the back teeth of Bristol City's groundhog days.

Happy clapping is a pathetic buzzword...

Some people support LJ... get over it.

I guess that the fans who supported SC to the very bitter end (and there was enough of them on here) are happy clappers then?

11 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

I guess that the fans who supported SC to the very bitter end (and there was enough of them on here) are happy clappers then?

Spot on! Anyway. what's best one of these terrible "Happy Clappers" or someone who threatens to boycott the Gate every time a string of unwanted results suddenly turns up. Not difficult to answer, if you ask me

11 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Yes. Rose-tinted spec wearing, blind to the facts, too full of sentiment, barrel scraping, easily conned mugs.......in a nut shell.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Spot on! Anyway. what's best one of these terrible "Hapy Clapppers" or someone who threatens to boycott the Gate everytime a string of unwanted results suddenly turns up. Not difficult to answer, if you ask me

Does make laugh when fans threaten to boycott watching football because you know if the same manager they are slagging off turns it around, they'll be back and claiming they always had faith in him... 

But the term 'happy clapper' is so pathetic, every fan at one point or another must've been a happy clapper...

5 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Yes. Rose-tinted spec wearing, blind to the facts, too full of sentiment, barrel scraping, easily conned mugs.......in a nut shell.

Tbh you're talking garbage, every fan has their own ideas/opinion on how to support the club... You as an individual can debate their opinion but not call them mugs/happy clappers.. its downright pathetic.

3 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Tbh you're talking garbage, every fan has their own ideas/opinion on how to support the club... You as an individual can debate their opinion but not call them mugs/happy clappers.. its downright pathetic.

They're always sort of implying that because we are loyal, we must be a bit thick or somehow not know quite as much about football as them... Sacking manager after manager is no more likely to bring about success than sticking with  ..

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

They're always sort of implying that because we are loyal, we must be a bit thick or somehow not know quite as much about football as them... Sacking manager after manager is no more likely to bring about success than sticking with  ..

Yes because sacking manager after manager has achieved so much for this club ;)

Even if LJ gets canned, the new manager comes has a good initial spell and then the inevitable bad run then its yep sack him as well... Amazing how fans think we can do a Watford and just sack managers left right and centre, doesn't work for every club so what makes them think it'll work here? 

Or maybe its more of an agenda against LJ?

Archived