IGNORED

Why do you support the City?

Jerseybean

On 02/01/2017 at 20:19, downendcity said:

1. I'm a Bristolian

2. After my first game on the Ashton Gate terraces Iknew I could never support anyone else.

3. After 50 years, the all too long periods of disappointment and frustration make the small successes even more sweet and worthwhile.

This for points 1 & 2....1st game, open end with my Dad, Joe Royle's debut vs 'Boro...looking the length of the pitch to see the scarves and hear the noise from the East End, thinking 'one day, I'll make it there'....and I did.

Wouldn't change that moment or anything since.

My team, my passion. My City.

8 hours ago, 8menhadadream said:

Always lived on the dark side (Kingswood, Staple hill, Longwell Green) but lucky to have a dad who chose to follow City and to be born at the right age thereby watching City reach and spend time at the top table.

It's a life sentence but it's our club and they're stuck with us.

Love that! ''they're stuck with us' rather than we are stuck with them....cool!

They need to know that too - players, managers, coaches, backroom staff, board members, even owners come and go, but we will always be there...supporting the club, the badge, the colours and our fellow fans...we are the only stakeholders who won't go somewhere else if they get a better offer. We are in in it for the long run....for life...

On 02/01/2017 at 19:53, Jerseybean said:

Being a City fan results in lots of things, many of which I could live without, e.g. bitter disappointment, frustration, sadness, false hope, etc but at least it's never dull! Imagine, just for a minute, supporting a team that just plodded-along a team who won a few, drew a couple and lost their fair-share, so all-in-all just did enough to remain stable, how boring would that be?

On the other-hand us City fans are currently wondering (among other things) who our manager will be next month, who might be joining the first team squad in this transfer window, which players are on the way out, why we can not consistently compete at this level, why we are so prone to conceding late goals, what has really happened between LJ and LT/GON, whether we will be in the Championship next season, and so on and so on.

While supporting BCFC is, for most of us, a life-long commitment, it certainly should not be entered into by the faint-hearted and should surely come with a health warning. 

So, as something of a distraction from our current plight I ask, why exactly do you support BCFC?

over sixty odd  years ive asked myself more times than i care to remember but never found the answer to stop loving  bcfc. like so many others

On 02/01/2017 at 19:54, BS4 on Tour... said:

Because I was born in Bristol and grew up in Brislington...

When did you grow up.... :P

I supported City because my dad came home with two big team posters in about 1977.  One Rovers, one City.  I'd seen Liverpool on the telly in red, and as the younger brother, I got first choice, so picked the Red one.  My Bruv got the blue one....but never supported Rovers.

On 02/01/2017 at 13:31, Ivorguy said:

Because my grandfather was one of the earliest supporters in 19th century, and saw us in the Cup Final. Because my father was a lifelong supporter.  Now my wife, son, daughter, son in law and grandson are all supporters.

Three generations of us, six fans in total, saw City win the tinpot trophy at Wembley. Grandson aged three, shouting City as the 5th generation.

I only hope my grandson sees the glory days of my grandfather return, and if not he will get the chance to see another Atyeo in a red shirt.

None of us now live in Bristol, and my son was following today's match on otib waiting for a flight from Seattle to Phoenix, but we all remain CTID.

The flight left when we were 2-0 up, landed to 2-3.

Worst landing ever, and I've had some bumpy ones.

but still CTID.

Moved down to Nailsea from Glasgow when I was 10. My now step-dad realised I needed to support a local team so started taking me and my brother down to Ashton Gate. What makes it even more remarkable is that he is from Filton and a die-hard Gas Head, even playing for their youth team as a kid. He hated every minute of watching City with us, and as soon as we made new friends at school, he ditched us and let other dads take us - but I am forever grateful that he took us to see City, not Rovers.

People at Primary School whom I hung around with seemed to be City inclined.

I badgered my dad to take me to a game and he did- 6-1 loss v Wolves 1998, that mascots fight, the GatePost promising exciting times ahead and so on.

Well it got one thing right anyway- it wasn't dull. 18 years and a bit, ups, downs, some big peaks and some low low troughs but not dull!

Also live within walking distance of AG, whereas the other ground would be further away.

On 1/2/2017 at 23:55, adamski said:

because I was born at the wrong time in the wrong place and grew up with the wrong people......

If only we'd had sky and the Premiership in the 60's I'd have been able to revel in the glories of my chosen team/teams from the comfort of my own armchair these past 50 years clad in polyester. The thrill of rushing home to a cooked tea before walking the dog and cleaning my shoes - finding just enough time to open a beer and see the adverts before kick off and then sampling the atmosphere on a Dolby 7.2 surround sound system is something to be savoured and is always a big talking point in the accountancy department in the morning! 

Who needs to get cold, stand in a busy pub, sit on cold plastic and watch the consistently less than average fare served up at the Theatre of Nightmares year after year with several hundred friends and acquaintances, where's the fun in that?

Ah lucky you- most of my mates and colleagues basically all of them, either support PL sides, have moved away or aren't from Bristol- key reason I don't go anymore.

Also, very glad I do support- just hearing the football talk now, all PL, PL especially title race.Seems little local pride in the football where I work. Maybe only one other City fan in my office, of what about 70 people.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah lucky you- most of my mates and colleagues basically all of them, either support PL sides, have moved away or aren't from Bristol- key reason I don't go anymore.

Also, very glad I do support- just hearing the football talk now, all PL, PL especially title race.Seems little local pride in the football where I work. Maybe only one other City fan in my office, of what about 70 people.

My City supporting friends are the ones I meet at football, most I have made at the gate over the past 45 years!

13 minutes ago, adamski said:

My City supporting friends are the ones I meet at football, most I have made at the gate over the past 45 years!

I hasten to add these are not constructed from clay/old chewing gum(a product of the many hours of less than exciting on-field action) or fashioned in my mind whilst stood alone, numb with cold and soaked to the skin on the Park End!

1988 Walsall Play-offs was my first game my Dad took me too. I was 10 he saw I enjoyed it even know we lost he Brought us season tickets for many of year's. My Dad will follow Hereford until he dies cause thats where he's from. I will follow Bristol City cause thats where I'm from. I do thank him he hated the rag ass rovers.

Thank you everyone who has posted. Really enjoyed reading the responses here, all of them contribute to building a picture as to what leads us towards supporting our beloved team and what it means to us.

A condensed summary of the factors that motivate our support looks like this:

Accident of birth
Parental/family influence
Generational thing - in the blood/DNA
Peers and mates
Sense of identity/belonging/commaraderie 
Masochistic tendencies
Never, ever being sure what will happen next!

CTID

Because my Dad took me to see City in 1950 and told me that he'd throw me out if I ever supported that other lot. With my weak personality and scared of living on a bomb site, I obeyed him.

Fat lot of good it did me; only two championships, a couple of Mickey Mouse cups, promotions always followed by relegations, except in 1976. But my god, three in a row made up for that.

I'm booking in for therapy next week!

Because of Dolman B Block in the 80's. Brilliiant days, remember watching the away fans trying to guess where we were in the ground. They soon found out when the 1st Baaaarisssstol rang out!

The look on there faces as the B and most of A block stood up Absolute quality!

Archived