IGNORED

RIP thread 2017 (Merged)

WhistleHappy

Veteran pilot Joy Lofthouse, who flew Spitfires and bombers for the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA) during World War Two, has died at the age of 94. She was one of only 164 female pilots, known as the Attagirls, who flew aircraft from factory to airfield.

The story goes that the ATA girls flew aircraft to their squadron bases and were often greeted with disbelief by the ground crews. One oik got in and looked around for the pilot, expecting a man, only to get a taste of women's equality in his ear.  :yes:

24 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Veteran pilot Joy Lofthouse, who flew Spitfires and bombers for the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA) during World War Two, has died at the age of 94. She was one of only 164 female pilots, known as the Attagirls, who flew aircraft from factory to airfield.

The story goes that the ATA girls flew aircraft to their squadron bases and were often greeted with disbelief by the ground crews. One oik got in and looked around for the pilot, expecting a man, only to get a taste of women's equality in his ear.  :yes:

RIP Joy Lofthouse .. What a life.. What a Woman...  A True British Heroine .

From Cirencester .. went on to become a schoolteacher after the war and never mentioned her wartime exploits to anyone until much later when the media came looking for her after hearing about her in a book about wartime Britain.. 

Well worth a little look here I think ....  as her story finally ends days after Remembrance Day.  

15 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

The first time I was aware of this person's existence was reading the report of his death. Clearly a career that has totally passed me by.

You should check out his stuff on you tube.

22 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

RIP Joy Lofthouse .. What a life.. What a Woman...  A True British Heroine .

From Cirencester .. went on to become a schoolteacher after the war and never mentioned her wartime exploits to anyone until much later when the media came looking for her after hearing about her in a book about wartime Britain.. 

Well worth a little look here I think ....  as her story finally ends days after Remembrance Day.  

RIP Joy Lofthouse .. What a life.. What a Woman...  A True British Heroine.

Thank You for the link.

To be honest, I had never heard of her, but watching the clip and reading subsequently a bit of background detail brought a tear to my eye - I mean that seriously, my eyes are still moist as I type!

How the world has changed.  

3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Far too Young .. R I P ...  fatal power cut ..the Lord  pull's the plug on AC/DC's founder aged just 64.

Absolutely shocked to hear of his death - Mr M Young stood at the back by the amps ripping out his power chords whilst Angus and Bon did the business. I grew up listening to their music - drank cheap cider , played pool - badly , watched City in their pomp , fumbles and sticky fingers - all to the back drop of that heady fusion of mid to late 70s music - AC/DC , Motorhead , Punk and all that quality music that has stood the test of time.Let There Be Rock..............................

12 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Not famous, but sad to hear Skysports' Simon Thomas lost his wife suddenly... thoughts go out to a decent guy, and a good presenter and his young boy (8) at this awful time for them.

Yes I saw that. It was tragic how short a time there was between her diagnosis and death.

Thoughts are with Simon and his young son.

Archived