IGNORED

Andy cole

bemmieredrobin

7 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Saw him about 12.15 at the main gate and had a quick chat. Guy on the car park entrance wouldn't let him in as he never had the correct pass. Shocking way to treat a City legend, even if he is now just the dad of an opposing player. Lovely bloke though, and looking really well.

wasn't he diagnosed with some illness a few months back? Used to love him but felt he never gave us any of the recognition we deserved once he hit the big time. That said, a lot of water under the bridge since then and can look back fondly on his days with us. Can never forget him and Jacki ripping Cardiff a new one that night. 

5 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Saw him about 12.15 at the main gate and had a quick chat. Guy on the car park entrance wouldn't let him in as he never had the correct pass. Shocking way to treat a City legend, even if he is now just the dad of an opposing player. Lovely bloke though, and looking really well.

City legend...? Andy Cole?! He was here less time than Styvar and acknowledged us for absolutely f all. 

Sorry but he's very, very far from a legend in my eyes. He's probably a 'great guy' or 'lovely bloke' at every FL ground he visits in the car park. It's part of his 'brand'. I for one am grateful for what he did '92-93 much as I'm grateful for Maynard '08-10 but the postponing years both are bellends

10 minutes ago, 29AR said:

City legend...? Andy Cole?! He was here less time than Styvar and acknowledged us for absolutely f all. 

Sorry but he's very, very far from a legend in my eyes. He's probably a 'great guy' or 'lovely bloke' at every FL ground he visits in the car park. It's part of his 'brand'. I for one am grateful for what he did '92-93 much as I'm grateful for Maynard '08-10 but the postponing years both are bellends

Agree , and his boy looked every bit as happy as Andy, sorry Andrew looked when he was here.

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Behave yourself! He came back for Andy Llewellyn's testimonial when he was a star and had no need to do so. Not saying he has any affinity for our club but his actions suggest he respects where he started. (I am biased, he was up front in my first games when I started going to AG after moving to England).

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Behave yourself! He came back for Andy Llewellyn's testimonial when he was a star and had no need to do so. Not saying he has any affinity for our club but his actions suggest he respects where he started. (I am biased, he was up front in my first games when I started going to AG after moving to England).

Llewlellyn told him he had a recorded delivery for him.

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

you're spot on. I think a lot of people are being a bit unfair on him (myself included back in the past). It's as if a lot of us expect him to bleed for the team, the reality is though, why should he. The notion that you have to get all partisan for a team just because you play for them is naive at best. He did a great job for us, scored a load of goals, lit up the Gate with many of his performances, played a key role in saving us from relegation, and earned us a few quid - it's a bit greedy for us to demand more from someone who was, to all intents and purposes, not much more than a kid at the time. Cole was a pro, and a bloody fantastic one - I would prefer someone like that than a badge kissing fraud. 

55 minutes ago, Olé said:

I don't expect him to have BCFC running through his veins; but I expect that of any "BCFC Legend". I don't see it in him and I'll never accept him in that category , very good player for us I certainly do  

I accept the "bellend" remark is up for debate and won't try to convince anyone who disagrees with me. That is my assessment on him built over his career since being here to present date (including biographies and media appearances)  when I find he's reluctant to even acknowledge the club. 

38 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

you're spot on. I think a lot of people are being a bit unfair on him (myself included back in the past). It's as if a lot of us expect him to bleed for the team, the reality is though, why should he. The notion that you have to get all partisan for a team just because you play for them is naive at best. He did a great job for us, scored a load of goals, lit up the Gate with many of his performances, played a key role in saving us from relegation, and earned us a few quid - it's a bit greedy for us to demand more from someone who was, to all intents and purposes, not much more than a kid at the time. Cole was a pro, and a bloody fantastic one - I would prefer someone like that than a badge kissing fraud. 

As said previous I think I look back on his time as fondly as you. BCFC legend - which I responded to - far from it. I expect more from a 'legend'. Agree to disagree on his acknowledgement of his time here and whether he could or should have done more. 

3 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

He ain't a 'City legend' - what makes you think he is? I haven't forgotten the games where he clearly wasn't trying (Barnsley away, Oxford at home etc) cos he knew he was gonna move on.....

Having said that, I wish him nothing but the best in the fight against his illness, he's obviously a nice guy...and when he was up for it for us he was on fire...he wasn't that complimentary about us in his book though...something about a 'footballing backwater' and a 'stepping stone' to better things...

But as I said, good luck to the guy....he was brill for us for a very short time...

He took a punt on us when we paid £500,000 to extract him from Arsenal's reserves. A lot of promising players wouldn't gamble like that these days. No criticism of Tammy whatsoever but we all know he won't sign for City at the end of this season. Andy Cole will always be one of my favourite City players for seeing that bigger picture at a time when we were in pretty poor shape.

46 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He ain't a 'City legend' - what makes you think he is? I haven't forgotten the games where he clearly wasn't trying (Barnsley away, Oxford at home etc) cos he knew he was gonna move on.....

Having said that, I wish him nothing but the best in the fight against his illness, he's obviously a nice guy...and when he was up for it for us he was on fire...he wasn't that complimentary about us in his book though...something about a 'footballing backwater' and a 'stepping stone' to better things...

But as I said, good luck to the guy....he was brill for us for a very short time...

I am not sure what he said about us and the use as a stepping stone is wrong.  We have always been a footballing backwater.  It is how everyone else sees us. Yes I know that doesn't sit well with us the fans, but it is the truth.  Things maybe slowly starting to change, but when Andrew Cole was here, he was spot on with that comment

22 minutes ago, TRL said:

I am not sure what he said about us and the use as a stepping stone is wrong.  We have always been a footballing backwater.  It is how everyone else sees us. Yes I know that doesn't sit well with us the fans, but it is the truth.  Things maybe slowly starting to change, but when Andrew Cole was here, he was spot on with that comment

Why is it wrong to say we were a stepping stone? At least he's honest. He wasn't happy at being in the reserves at Arsenal so he took the drop to prove a point. It's the kind of attitude we moan at players for not having in today's game where they can just sit on a bench and pick up a wage.

53 minutes ago, Xiled said:

He took a punt on us when we paid £500,000 to extract him from Arsenal's reserves. A lot of promising players wouldn't gamble like that these days. No criticism of Tammy whatsoever but we all know he won't sign for City at the end of this season. Andy Cole will always be one of my favourite City players for seeing that bigger picture at a time when we were in pretty poor shape.

I doubt it was £500,000? That seems a lot of money back then.

i take that back just read up on that. Hell of a lot of money back then.

7 minutes ago, Spoons said:

It was a big transfer for us at the time but we made a decent profit. Although I think the board forgot a sell-on clause when we sold Cole to Newcastle.....

31 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Yep 500K

Spunked all our money on a striker and tried to wing it with the midfield and defence.

Happy days!

7 hours ago, 29AR said:

I don't expect him to have BCFC running through his veins; but I expect that of any "BCFC Legend". I don't see it in him and I'll never accept him in that category , very good player for us I certainly do  

I accept the "bellend" remark is up for debate and won't try to convince anyone who disagrees with me. That is my assessment on him built over his career since being here to present date (including biographies and media appearances)  when I find he's reluctant to even acknowledge the club. 

Really he has played for arguably the biggest club in the world at a time when they dominated English football, as well as other big clubs.

i have never once heard him say or referenced bad things about us.

no footballer grows up dreaming of playing for bristol city outside of Bristol, so why would he need to talk about us when all his achievements have been with other clubs.

8 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Why is it wrong to say we were a stepping stone? At least he's honest. He wasn't happy at being in the reserves at Arsenal so he took the drop to prove a point. It's the kind of attitude we moan at players for not having in today's game where they can just sit on a bench and pick up a wage.

Exactly

Archived