IGNORED

2026 World Cup

Super

At first glance I was skeptical. I've thought about it now and perhaps it's really just a blending of the qualifying and finals sections.  I'm thinking I'll just treat that initial group stage as simply the last qualifying stage.

If you do this then the World Cup in fact becomes a straight knockout competition with 32 teams going at it from the start...perhaps, just perhaps...that could be fun?

Of course this is ignoring the fact that this is probably just a way to allow the African and Asian FAs to join in the cash-supernova.

The quality of the football at Euro 2016 wasn't as good as previous tournaments due to this change. Teams only had to win one game and they'd more or less be through to the knock-out stages. It seemed that teams would rather avoid defeat than try to win all their games. It will be good for the smaller nations, but for spectators, I think it will have a negative impact. I'm sure many will disagree but that's my view of it, as I found myself dozing off during a number of games in the summer.

8 minutes ago, DevonRed794 said:

The quality of the football at Euro 2016 wasn't as good as previous tournaments due to this change. Teams only had to win one game and they'd more or less be through to the knock-out stages. It seemed that teams would rather avoid defeat than try to win all their games. It will be good for the smaller nations, but for spectators, I think it will have a negative impact. I'm sure many will disagree but that's my view of it, as I found myself dozing off during a number of games in the summer.

It was ridiculous. The fact that the team who won the tournament only won 1 game within 90 mins tells you everything you need to know about the entertainment value- No disrespect intended to Portugal who did what needed to be done.

3 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

It was ridiculous. The fact that the team who won the tournament only won 1 game within 90 mins tells you everything you need to know about the entertainment value- No disrespect intended to Portugal who did what needed to be done.

De-values the tournament in my opinion, should be for the 'top' teams in their respective confederations.

6 minutes ago, DevonRed794 said:

De-values the tournament in my opinion, should be for the 'top' teams in their respective confederations.

Unfortunately whilst devaluing the quality it makes the tournament more valuable financially. And we all know which one of those values is more important to the likes of FIFA.  

There are approx 194 countries in the world, (there is some dispute as to whether some states are countries or not) and 211 football associations affiliated to FIFA. A 48 country World Cup will mean approx 25% of the world's countries will be taking part! By comparison, the 1966 World Cup only had 16 teams. There is only one reason for the plan to have 48 teams. More teams mean more televised matches, which means more money. Virtually every change to the way football is organised is driven my money. 

1 hour ago, DevonRed794 said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. The Euros were awful, and not just because of the England results/performances.

I watched a lot of the evening games, and to be honest I can't remember one single game that was worth watching really.

Everything that is changed, whether it be tournament formats, sponsorships, kick off times, it's all money orientated. A lot of fans are becoming wise to it, but I can't see anything getting bette, or even changing, anytime soon.

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

There are approx 194 countries in the world, (there is some dispute as to whether some states are countries or not) and 211 football associations affiliated to FIFA. A 48 country World Cup will mean approx 25% of the world's countries will be taking part! By comparison, the 1966 World Cup only had 16 teams. There is only one reason for the plan to have 48 teams. More teams mean more televised matches, which means more money. Virtually every change to the way football is organised is driven my money. 

That was my first thought too, nearly a quarter of all the affiliated associations would qualify - ridiculous.

The World Cup and Euros have been devalued by the rich clubs and the players who no longer see playing for the national side as the peak of their careers but as an inconvenience in between League and Champions League matches when they need / want a rest .

The mystery and excitement I once felt as the best players in the world assembled to do battle has now gone as the best players are seen regularly on telly ( mostly for Real and Barca ) and have become all too familiar.

Its all got very tiresome I'm sad to say.

Forty years ago Joao Havelange was trying to become President of FIFA. He toured the nations of Africa, Asia and even Oceana and suggested if they voted for him, he'd ensure more of them got to play in the World Cup finals.

Today FIFA have announced "Football is more than just Europe and South America".

In Rugby League they welcome any nation that can raise a team to take part in their World Cup. Cricket has a separate tournament for their lesser nations with just the top few being allowed into the main World Cup. I think cricket has got it right.

29 minutes ago, 22A said:

Forty years ago Joao Havelange was trying to become President of FIFA. He toured the nations of Africa, Asia and even Oceana and suggested if they voted for him, he'd ensure more of them got to play in the World Cup finals.

Today FIFA have announced "Football is more than just Europe and South America".

In Rugby League they welcome any nation that can raise a team to take part in their World Cup. Cricket has a separate tournament for their lesser nations with just the top few being allowed into the main World Cup. I think cricket has got it right.

I agree - I think cricket has it right too.

I'd also have a separate qualifying tournament for the minnows (Gibraltar, Faroe Islands, San Marino, Andorra, etc, etc) ... they'd play in a group and the winner(s) would qualify for the main European qualifying campaign. It would help them immensely in my opinion...they'd be playing in far more competitive games and therefore build confidence from winning. It means there would be less qualifying groups which would also be more competitive...top teams playing top teams far more regularly.

8 hours ago, cider-manc said:

On the other hand we had to play one more game than every other team at the tournament :whistle:

7 hours ago, Sepp Blatter said:

Upping the tournament to 48 teams will bring in an estimated one billion pounds worth of extra revenue. I wonder why this decision has been made? 

That , and it guarantees Infantino lots of votes when it comes to re-election

possibly :whistle:

Guess it opens up lots more opportunities for 'appreciative gestures' from lots more countries too !!

IMG_0717.JPG

Possibly

:whistle:

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Cricket has a separate tournament for their lesser nations with just the top few being allowed into the main World Cup. I think cricket has got it right.

Like hell they have, they've pushed teams like Ireland, who are more than capable of beating the top teams out of the world cup to ensure only the teams who play each on rotation anyway are in the competition.

5 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Does anyone know how the groups will be organised (for example 8 groups of 6 and top 2 go through with 4 other top point scorers) or haven't they gone into that much detail yet? Cheers

I believe it us going to be a massive 16 groups of 3, Top two from each group go through, and these 32 will then go in to straight knockout.

Why not have more countries getting the chance to play in the WC finals. It's not long ago that England failed to qualify for the final 32, so at least it gives us more chance ( no I'm not joking) of qualifying each time. Less and less English talent playing in our leagues ( we have just signed an Aussie,Bosnian and a German ourselves! ) will make it harder for us.

Currently Europe gets 13 of the 32 places, i for one would like some of the other football mad countries in the World get their chance to finally have their day. There are talented players worldwide who currently will never get to play in a WC, It may well make WC finals become a bit more interesting, because the last few have become stale imo.

I read today that 77 different nations have played in WC finals,  some of these should have more of a chance of experiencing the tournament again in the future, 

Archived