IGNORED

Taxi for Lansdown and Ashton

WessexPest

48 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Can you suggest who would put the community first and pump loads of cash in without wanting it back?

Answers on a postcard. 

This pisses me off. 

I've defended Lansdown over the years but just admit his tenure has been a complete footballing failure and football is the only reason we are here. Not shiny toys.

If we end up playing rovers next year (or God forbid worse) it will be a complete waste of 16 years. If I was a gas head i would be laughing my ass off at us. You cold point to all their failings and they would just smile and say yep and yet here we are playing you.

10 minutes ago, grove park city said:

In the football world Bristol City are a small time club with a wealthy owner its been proven that City can't attract big time game changing players and likewise a proven quality manager, we end up with limited managers who can deal with League 1 football but have no idea when it comes to handling better players, game changing tactics substitutions ect.

Steve Lansdown has shed millions chasing the Prem dream and as pointed out its near on impossible to see anyone buying him out ,but his choice of managers has been abysmal appointing Lee Johnson in the 1st point yet alone extending his contract was madness and this current meltdown was predicted once he was appointed manager.

Its good to have a local guy in charge with a passion for the club no way do i want him gone but have some balls and sack Johnson and don't play out this latest cock up any longer. 

Pearson was genuinely interested. SL appointed LJ as the "outstanding candidate"?

Just now, SouthBristolCityBhoy said:

If one club was sold, then who would own Ashton Gate?

The freeholder. But one could buy the freehold which is subject to a lease to another. One could pay another party to surrender their lease.

To put it another way, how financially attractive would it be to buy a club which doesn't own a stadium. Not very. To buy a club with a stadium, (more so, but buying a football club is a loss leader for most bear in mind), to buy a football club with a stadium with a rental from a Rugby club,,, didn't stop the Russian's investing in Reading. 

53 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Jesus. We've got our first year in a stadium paid for by SL and he should twoddle off. When his son and heir is a known fan and could sustain our future throughout our kids' lifetime. 

Dreary me. Think the OP should go play with traffic. 

Not toddle off mate. Just let go. Hire the best possible staff, including a manager who has achieved promotion to the Premiership and leave the football to them

16 minutes ago, 29AR said:

The freeholder. But one could buy the freehold which is subject to a lease to another. One could pay another party to surrender their lease.

To put it another way, how financially attractive would it be to buy a club which doesn't own a stadium. Not very. To buy a club with a stadium, (more so, but buying a football club is a loss leader for most bear in mind), to buy a football club with a stadium with a rental from a Rugby club,,, didn't stop the Russian's investing in Reading. 

Thanks 29AR.

I just can't help but feel that City were better off owning Ashton Gate entirely, than alongside Bristol Rugby under the Bristol Sport umbrella.

Just now, southvillekiddy said:

Not toddle off mate. Just let go. Hire the best possible staff, including a manager who has achieved promotion to the Premiership and leave the football to them

If SL has ever hired someone he didn't think for the best of the club I'd agree.

Last time he went with a name - one of the sort you suggest - they spunked a huge amount of money on Nicky Hunt, Damien Stewart and Cisse - who was good, not that good, and left weeks later. With David James to boot. 

The phrase fool me once does come to mind and I can see why it might in SL's. 

7 minutes ago, SouthBristolCityBhoy said:

Thanks 29AR.

I just can't help but feel that City were better off owning Ashton Gate entirely, than alongside Bristol Rugby under the Bristol Sport umbrella.

For resale they absolutely are.

But, to own it could leave it susceptible if we ever went 1982 up the swanny so it's better to have it not-connected.

If we have a long lease interest in it ( say 100 years +)  to a new owner they might consider that tantamount to ownership. 

It's quite normal in the corporate world to have a prop co/op co structure which means one company own the property and another does the operations. 

Still think the best thing for our future is not to hound out SL and JL - between them who could support us financially for decades. Better the devil you know and all that. 

I have a very high regard for SL and massively appreciate everything he has done for BCFC. I also like that he is a quiet and almost invisible Chairman, who prefers to leave footballing matters to those employed to manage footballing matters. Although given our recent form and results it is reasonable to question if the current manager has the necessary skills and experience.

Please can we remember that SL is also a passionate and loyal supporter and human, he wants what every one of us wants - success for Bristol City.

As for Mark Ashton IMO he is doing a good job and securing players who should do well for us, there might be a couple who fall short but on the whole I'm pleased with our recruitment since MA arrived.

The Club also want a manager and a back room team prepared to follow and implement the agreed long-term strategy I doubt if any of the so called 'proven managers at this level' that usually get suggested would sign up to this. 

Therefore, as disappointed as I am with the current situation I think LJ will continue as our manager and be given time to turn things around. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

If SL has ever hired someone he didn't think for the best of the club I'd agree.

Last time he went with a name - one of the sort you suggest - they spunked a huge amount of money on Nicky Hunt, Damien Stewart and Cisse - who was good, not that good, and left weeks later. With David James to boot. 

The phrase fool me once does come to mind and I can see why it might in SL's. 

There was more than one person who had doubts about Coppell. Not a typical name by any means. A bit of background research could have steered us away from him and saved SL the embarrassment. Coppell didn't want any more than a yearly contract?????? (So he could ****off if he didn't fancy it. Do you remember Coppell's first appearance, said it all really and too late - didn't know why he was at City??????? .

Coppell didn't want James. SL forced him on Coppell. Having seen the way James bollocked our defenders for his own mistakes I can see why.

Do you really think going with an unqualified no-name is better than going with a reliable name who has done it.

7 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Like who . Not be funny what are there names. Serious question 

A director of football who has been with a top 4 Premiership Club? In business terms there are only 20 businesses (Premiership Clubs) to study and see how they have done it and who they have employed?

1 hour ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

The manager is merely a sideshow as far as I'm concerned - as long as the current regime is in place we will continue to round in circles.

Lansdown may not be short on a few quid but it takes more than that to run a football club competently, and he completely clueless. He's burned through managers like nobody's business - when it keeps ending in failure you need to look up the chain to see where the buck truly stops.

I'll get a lot of stick for this post, but I don't care one iota - I want BCFC to succeed and under SL I see us stuck in a yo-yoing rut at best.

"Alright then, AA - who have you got in mind to replace him?"

I don't know the answer to that question but look at the Scum - they were dissatisfied with Higgs and eventually someone came in; they seem happy with Al-Qadi even though he had no obvious connection with the club. City are a more tempting proposition than the Gas. I don't care if we are taken over by someone who has scrumpy running through his veins, I just want someone who can properly run our club.

By all means sack LJ - he's been found wanting at this level, but -oh! - where did we hear that before? Precisely a year ago.

Unforgivable. Lansdown - off you toddle and take Mark Ashton with you.

Rubbish. Get a grip.

Idiotic post yes he has made mistakes but give me a billionaire owner who is a true fan of the club, who has stabilised us financially redeveloped Aston gate to a top stadium, rather than a Birmingham, Cardiff, villa, any day of the week.

i don't know if lansdown will sack lj or not but he is not responsible for this.

Surely you realise anyone that's been an owner as long as SL would have sacked around about the same amount of managers for failing - its not like managers are sacked for doing well and it's not like we sack more managers than everyone else.

I've always felt that Lansdown is a decent fella, a City fan, and would not leave us in the lurch. Therefore, can he please stop interfering and leave important decisions to people who know their onions?

City is not just Steve Lansdown! We may not have his vast wallet, but we deeply care about OUR club.

3 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Idiotic post yes he has made mistakes but give me a billionaire owner who is a true fan of the club, who has stabilised us financially redeveloped Aston gate to a top stadium, rather than a Birmingham, Cardiff, villa, any day of the week.

i don't know if lansdown will sack lj or not but he is not responsible for this.

Sorry mate. had to laugh after today

36 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If LJ departs, the one I would go for is Mick McCarthy. Now had four years at Ipswich without any money to spend. They haven't troubled to top six much but neither do they ever look like bothering the bottom six. He would cost us, but would organise us into a stable unit that would stay up comfortably. and the nouse to spend SL's money sensibly and take us toward where we want to be.

Can't disagree with that

We've had SEVEN managers (or whatever they're called these days) since 2010 and it looks like we'll be getting another by the end of the season.

Whatever else he's done for the club SL surely would admit himself that his track record  picking managers is the worst in the league.   Yes he's put money in to players but that makes the actual performance look even worse - we could not have got worse results if he had invested nothing into new players.

The appointment of the the Exec Director Ashton seemed a good idea at the time - we needed a footballing brain at board level, but it hasn't worked with the appt of LJ - let's see if it comes into action now with the firing of LJ which surely must happen this week ....

18 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Pearson was genuinely interested. SL appointed LJ as the "outstanding candidate"?

And straight away the whole sorry mess is played out again, experienced Simon Greyson has pulled off some great results for  P.N.E been through the league 1 learning process getting Blackpool,Leeds Utd and Huddersfield Town up to the Championship and we get Lee Johnson ?

1 minute ago, Daniro said:

We've had SEVEN managers (or whatever they're called these days) since 2010 and it looks like we'll be getting another by the end of the season.

Whatever else he's done for the club SL surely would admit himself that his track record  picking managers is the worst in the league.   Yes he's put money in to players but that makes the actual performance look even worse - we could not have got worse results if he had invested nothing into new players.

The appointment of the the Exec Director Ashton seemed a good idea at the time - we needed a footballing brain at board level, but it hasn't worked with the appt of LJ - let's see if it comes into action now with the firing of LJ which surely must happen this week ....

Hope so mate. wouldn't bank on it.

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

So difficult to work with? Other than SC (in championship) or SOD tell me one manager who was not given a reasonable amount to spend? 

Jesus only Saturday we had Uwe Rossler praising our chairman for backing his manager, a few days ago Colin warnock, but clearly the Apeman from Azerbaijan knows the regime is difficult. 

Derek McInnes

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Wish we could go and get Pardew, he would be a revalation at this level.  However it would cost a fortune to hire him, a fortune to hire his backroom staff, a fortune to pay off lee and his coaching staff and another fortune to give the new manager the support he would demand in the transfer market.

So while SL may have deep pockets, it's most unlikely he will want to go down that route on top of what he has already spent this season.

To be fair let's give little Lee his 3rd transfer window as he has asked for and see where we are next Christmas I rate him and think he will take us on don't forget where he took us from last season and beginning of this season we are only loosing by the odd goal not getting destroyed by anyone good signs imho everyone will disagree with me but no one has destroyed us so I see that as positive I think keeper needs to change was disappointed with fielding today I think with a couple of tweaks we will climb the table it is close but there is definitely 3 teams worse than us, granted 2 of them won today but I think we will be safe quite easily

Archived