IGNORED

Who is available & would want it?

Big Red Rich

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Quality manager with a proven track record of getting teams out of this league. Has been heavily restricted at Ipshit due to lack of funds.

Rowett's win % in the C'ship is actually 1% better than LJ's, if he's the stand out candidate then we're ******

When he first went to Ipswich he bought every striker in the league IIRC

26 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Rowett is the stand out candidate, don't understand why people are saying he would not come here. We genuinely have massive potential, an owner who is prepared to put his money into the club, even the benefit of Mark Ashton - who for my money has been doing good deals, Paterson apart but that was LJ insistence.

I'll tell you whyimo, he's got a reputation that will land him a bigger job. He was talked about for Swansea for instance.

We have no real pedigree in this division than a flirt with promotion once. His stock is higher than that, Norwich for instance. I don't see him jumping for us and gambling his bird in the hand for his 2 in the bush on our potential. In fact I don't see many up and comers thinking they'll do well here. 

We have had the same financial backer for well over a decade - perhaps 2 someone will correct me. And yet only Pulis has been here and not been sacked. Does that really scream potential to you? Does that scream this is a club I could take places? A club you can build a reputation at? For some it might, but someone who's forged the pedigree of Rowett I'd say absolutely no chance. Indeed I think he'd happily turn us down and see what else may come. 

26 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Rowett is the stand out candidate, don't understand why people are saying he would not come here. We genuinely have massive potential, an owner who is prepared to put his money into the club, even the benefit of Mark Ashton - who for my money has been doing good deals, Paterson apart but that was LJ insistence.

I'll tell you whyimo, he's got a reputation that will land him a bigger job. He was talked about for Swansea for instance.

We have no real pedigree in this division than a flirt with promotion once. His stock is higher than that, Norwich for instance. I don't see him jumping for us and gambling his bird in the hand for his 2 in the bush on our potential. In fact I don't see many up and comers thinking they'll do well here. 

We have had the same financial backer for well over a decade - perhaps 2 someone will correct me. And yet only Pulis has been here and not been sacked. Does that really scream potential to you? Does that scream this is a club I could take places? For some it might, but someone who's forged the pedigree of Rowett I'd say absolutely no chance. Indeed I think he'd happily turn us down and see what else may come

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, poor old Birmingham who still have a far higher pedigree than we do. That said, of course I take your point he was there in difficult circumstances. But if we are serious about kicking on as a football club then we need a manager we think can get us promoted from this division and McCarthy when given a half decent budget has proven he can with Wolves and Sunderland, as well as plying his trade in the top flight.

Fair play for responding to me

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, that is true! Though I disagree a win % is a meaningless statistic. Of course Rowett would come here, no idea why people would think otherwise. He's not a stand out candidate for me though.

And fgrsimon.

I think he is a decent manager and wouldn't be adverse to seeing him here, but think he'll be getting better offers than us in our current situation.

What do you think of Rosler?  He's top of my list, not that I've put much thought into it.

19 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Controversial but wish we got warnock last season...knows this league inside out...his teams are nasty but effective we are far to nice from top to bottom...would love our team to have some nasty ***** like bamba and Connolly...you may not like the football but it works for the short term.

the job he did at Rotherham last year and Cardiff this are admirable whatever you think of him

The trouble is most on this forum think we are too nice a club to employ Warnock. This is Bristol City and we play the game the right way without the aggression, passion,  long ball, diving, playacting, and gamesmanship, and at the moment, without winning. I don't like his tactics but they bring results and teams hate to play against his teams because of Warnock, not his players. He wins all the mind games with opposing managers just like Sir Alec did at Man U. But hey ho, lets be that nice Bristol City that play in the nice West country. The reason everybody likes the club is BECAUSE we are too bl##dy nice!! Lets win the fair play league whilst we are getting relegated.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And fgrsimon.

I think he is a decent manager and wouldn't be adverse to seeing him here, but think he'll be getting better offers than us in our current situation.

What do you think of Rosler?  He's top of my list, not that I've put much thought into it.

Rosler is up there for me Dave - no real obvious standouts at present time 

I also think we could do worse than Mick McCarthy although he hasn't gone well at Ipswich

GrahamC suggested Tony Mowbray who I've always liked (Don't know why he took on a sinking ship at Coventry)

No obvious up n cummers right now - guess Dopey would be high up in that list :blink:

Warnock is a short term planner who is happy to screw over a club in terms of long term development as long as he can get out quick enough so someone else can take the blame. It is no coincidence that the clubs he manage tend to struggle after he leaves.

Pearson for me is not the right manager for the club. Good manager but I suspect the wrong fit. And that matters - just look at Derby.

Rowett would be a continuity appointment. If you look at Birmingham message boards, the criticisms of him tended to be the same things LJ gets criticised more. Good option if we want a better version of the manager we have.

I agree Mick McCarthy could be a good appointment. Loyal, committed and experienced. The definition of the safe pair of hands. One thing I would say though is, if I recall, he's not done great when he has taken over clubs at risk of relegation.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And fgrsimon.

Hmm.. Rosler, wouldn't be against him and definitely has potential but I think right now, we need someone with experience of turning around a Championship relegation slump. Rowett and big Mick have both done that. 

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You beat me to it. Roster would be a good choice, or someone like that.

I'm coming to the conclusion that LJ can learn all he wants from books, courses etc, but we need either someone who's been there and done it managerial-wise at this level or hopefully above (would they come here....similar situation to last season), or we go for someone who's played top level, and can relate that back to the players.  Didn't want to say it, but I think LJ is showing up the gap on his CV of not playing at a higher level (let alone managing at this level) and therefore has nothing to translate back to the players from experience.  Maybe that is why the so called rumours re O'Neil/Tomlin are because they can see the errors. #speculation

Agreed. I could read numerous sums books, but not a hope in hell of becoming a theoretical physicist.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And fgrsimon.

Fan of Rosler, yes. Only really flopped at Leeds which he can probably be excused for under the circumstances - though on paper he still should've done better.

Think he could really buy into what we're trying to do at AG so why not.

Problem we now have (Assuming LJ will get pushed) is do we go for a 'Instant Impact but not long term' manager a la Warnock (Not that I can think of an available firefighter whose available)

Or a continuity manager who is less likely to have a dramatic immediate impact (Relegation follows ?) but better for the long term / project

We are rapidly getting ourselves , no actually we are IN , a situation where we probably are in dire need of the first type

For what it's worth I think we can go more for a steady hand / continuity type as this Squad IMHO should be more than capable of performing to a much better level .

unfortunately  I actually believe now that getting LJ out would actually see,  rightly or wrongly ,  a positive response / improvement from the players  (Yep - I believe it's gone that far - don't believe the majority of players believe in him , or his selections / tactics )

Hearing names like Pardrew, Pearson, Phelan, Clarke, Rosler, McCarthy etc make me feel empty. I honesty do not believe they would be much more of an improvement. 

I would go for Rowett personally. But would Rowett go for Bristol City? I'm not so sure.

Who would be my 2nd choice?

I honestly do not know. It's quite worrying in my books.

Kenny Jackett? I know he only lasted 19 days at Rotherham but I reckon he wasn`t told the whole truth when he was appointed and that`s why he walked. He was interviewed by Danny Baker on the day of his first game and sounded really up for it so something must have happened. Been harshly treated by some of the clubs he`s managed when they wanted `names` in like Wolves. Comes over as a nice guy too.

36 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I'm not being funny but Rowett out of our league? **** me, he managed Burton Albion! I know there is a rush to say how small a club we are these days, but smaller than Burton ******* Albion?!!!! Don't take the piss!

Self flagellation seems to be de rigeur with some of our fanbase.

Archived