IGNORED

Who is available & would want it?

Big Red Rich

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Kenny Jackett? I know he only lasted 19 days at Rotherham but I reckon he wasn`t told the whole truth when he was appointed and that`s why he walked. He was interviewed by Danny Baker on the day of his first game and sounded really up for it so something must have happened. Been harshly treated by some of the clubs he`s managed when they wanted `names` in like Wolves. Comes over as a nice guy too.

Jackett would be up there for me, solid manager and a realistic target for us. We could do a lot worse.

Depends what you want.
Do you want a manager who has experience of managing in the Championship.  If so, then your list of candidates reads like this :

Roberto Di Matteo, Mark Robins, Keith Hill, Alex McLeish, Lee Clark, Gary Rowett, MIchael Appleton, Paul Ince, Dougie Freedman, Sami Hyppia, Dave Jones, Malky Mackay, Alan Pardew, Phil Parkinson, Chris Powell, Chris Coleman, Aidy Boothroyd, George Burley, Phil Brown, Billy Davies, Paul Jewell, Nigel Pearson, Roy Keane, Kevin Blackwell, Brian McDermott, Neil Redfearn, Uwe Rosler, Nigel Worthington, Gary Megson, Tony Mowbray, Kenny Jackett, Karl Robinson, Colin Calderwood, Stuart Pearce, Darren Ferguson, John Gregory, Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink, Nigel Adkins, Steve Clarke, Stuart Gray, Gary Caldwell, Glenn Hoddle, Dean Saunders.

Alternatively, do you take a chance on someone with no managerial experience at this level, but could be seen as a promising lower league manager, or untried?  In this list you'll find :

Paul Tisdale, Gareth Ainsworth, Neil Ardley, Graham Alexander, Chris Wilder, Ryan Giggs.

Do you go foreign :

Andreas Alm, Stuart Baxter, Bob Bradley, Stephane Moulin, Graham Potter, Jess Thorup, Andrea Loberto.

There's not a great deal out there that excites me to be honest.  If anyone, I'd be keen on Rowett, McDermott, Rosler, Gray, Tisdale?

Brian McDermott would be my choice - assuming he is available.

It's funny how last year's manager of choice Nigel Pearson has been largely replaced by new favourite Uwe Rösler.  Is it because he said nice things about us?  His record at Wigan wasn't great and he won two games out of twelve with Leeds.  Wikipedia describes Rösler as "a fan of squad rotation among players, with 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 his favoured formations".  He was a good player though.

Personally, I'm not a football supporter that is in favour of knee-jerk reactions, managerial sackings all the time etc etc etc.

However, the run you are on is absolutely appalling, especially considering the money spent in the summer by your owner, and it appears you are considering goals late in games a lot which is never a good sign for managers.

Bristol is a big city which should have a Premier League club. Get someone in who's proven rather than throwing transfer money at a novice, 'trendy' boss like Lee Johnson who's actually achieved nothing to date in football management.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Depends what you want.
Do you want a manager who has experience of managing in the Championship.  If so, then your list of candidates reads like this :

Roberto Di Matteo, Mark Robins, Keith Hill, Alex McLeish, Lee Clark, Gary Rowett, MIchael Appleton, Paul Ince, Dougie Freedman, Sami Hyppia, Dave Jones, Malky Mackay, Alan Pardew, Phil Parkinson, Chris Powell, Chris Coleman, Aidy Boothroyd, George Burley, Phil Brown, Billy Davies, Paul Jewell, Nigel Pearson, Roy Keane, Kevin Blackwell, Brian McDermott, Neil Redfearn, Uwe Rosler, Nigel Worthington, Gary Megson, Tony Mowbray, Kenny Jackett, Karl Robinson, Colin Calderwood, Stuart Pearce, Darren Ferguson, John Gregory, Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink, Nigel Adkins, Steve Clarke, Stuart Gray, Gary Caldwell, Glenn Hoddle, Dean Saunders.

Alternatively, do you take a chance on someone with no managerial experience at this level, but could be seen as a promising lower league manager, or untried?  In this list you'll find :

Paul Tisdale, Gareth Ainsworth, Neil Ardley, Graham Alexander, Chris Wilder, Ryan Giggs.

Do you go foreign :

Andreas Alm, Stuart Baxter, Bob Bradley, Stephane Moulin, Graham Potter, Jess Thorup, Andrea Loberto.

There's not a great deal out there that excites me to be honest.  If anyone, I'd be keen on Rowett, McDermott, Rosler, Gray, Tisdale?

Add Justin Edinburgh to your `promising lower league` section and, as of tonight, Philip Montanier to the foreign ones.

20 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Add Justin Edinburgh to your `promising lower league` section and, as of tonight, Philip Montanier to the foreign ones.

Edinburgh has already been re-employed, so not on the list any more. And I don't want another lower league manager with potential. I want someone who can manage right now, not learning at our club's expense.

Pick someone who has managed successfully at this level or higher in England & preferably got a team promoted. We need that level of experience to turn the ship around. It is the level of many of the other managers in this league.

When you apply those criteria, the field narrows done a lot!

Still reckon Rowett or Jackett would make a much better fist of things with our current squad. 

13 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Edinburgh has already been re-employed, so not on the list any more. And I don't want another lower league manager with potential. I want someone who can manage right now, not learning at our club's expense.

Pick someone who has managed successfully at this level or higher in England & preferably got a team promoted. We need that level of experience to turn the ship around. It is the level of many of the other managers in this league.

When you apply those criteria, the field narrows done a lot!

Still reckon Rowett or Jackett would make a much better fist of things with our current squad. 

Has he? Didn`t know that. I wasn`t suggesting we get him, just add him to the list in the post.

The more I think about it I`d go for Kenny Jackett too so with you on that one.

Something to consider if we are picking potential new manager names if Lee goes is the system in place here.

I expect, and hope, that we won't be ripping up our system with Ashton and Taylor playing a prominent role in recruitment. I am under the impression this system exists to allow minimum disruption in the event of an outgoing manager. 

The flip side of this is that not all managers will want to operate in a system which limits their autonomy. I doubt Cotterill would.. neither Pearson, Warnock etc - ie 'old school' managers rather than head coaches.

I think because of this, if LJ goes, we will be looking into more left field names, perhaps from abroad, that are more familiar with this sort of system or are happy to work under it.

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Something to consider if we are picking potential new manager names if Lee goes is the system in place here.

I expect, and hope, that we won't be ripping up our system with Ashton and Taylor playing a prominent role in recruitment. I am under the impression this system exists to allow minimum disruption in the event of an outgoing manager. 

The flip side of this is that not all managers will want to operate in a system which limits their autonomy. I doubt Cotterill would.. neither Pearson, Warnock etc - ie 'old school' managers rather than head coaches.

I think because of this, if LJ goes, we will be looking into more left field names, perhaps from abroad, that are more familiar with this sort of system or are happy to work under it.

The failure rate of overseas managers in this league is high. Benitez is the exception. Otherwise it's Di Matteo, Zenga, Hasselbaink, and Montanier, none of whom are still in a job. Kind of speaks for itself.

So no, not an overseas manager thank you very much. British manager, proven at this level or higher. I think they can work with Ashton in a scouting type role, and sorting out the finance side of the deals, which is all is really doing anyway. Remember Cotterill was happy to work with Keith Burt doing something very similar. Well at least until that final summer transfer window!

10 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The failure rate of overseas managers in this league is high. Benitez is the exception. Otherwise it's Di Matteo, Zenga, Hasselbaink, and Montanier, none of whom are still in a job. Kind of speaks for itself.

The failure of domestic managers is also high, it's a tough league. It doesn't really prove anything, so no it doesn't 'speak for itself'. 

So no, not an overseas manager thank you very much. British manager, proven at this level or higher. I think they can work with Ashton in a scouting type role, and sorting out the finance side of the deals, which is all is really doing anyway.

Well maybe, but how many 'proven' managers would happily do that role? I think Ashton and Taylor have a great deal of influence on our recruiting and many experienced domestic managers would want their own backroom team and full autonomy.

Remember Cotterill was happy to work with Keith Burt doing something very similar. Well at least until that final summer transfer window!

No, Burt did a very different role to Ashton. His role was far closer to Taylor's role if anything.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

As detestable a man as he is if your adding promising lower league managers then no one has been more impressive than Daryl Clarke in the last two years....that really hurts to say that but it is true 

13 hours ago, Henry said:

perhaps European like our recent transfers? It's worked for Huddersfield 

For what it's worth I had watched Marco Silva (now Hull manager) as a player and then as a manager on different holidays to Portugal as the club he was at is just down the road from where I grew up, and what he did as manager was nothing short of incredible, and he then went on to validate his ability with big clubs in Portugal and Greece, without getting anything like the credit that he deserved. Mourinho #2.

If we can spend all this money on players he would have been an absolutely outstanding manager, his record is far better and more impressive than Carvahal who went to Wednesday and took them into the Playoffs. Hull, even if they don't stay up, have got an absolute steal. I realise LJ is going nowhere but it's just insane that we spend all this money on players and yet go 'last puppy in the shop' on manager.

Archived