IGNORED

Get With It

handsofclay

2 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

Spot on 

This is fairly depressing. I've avoided all the SL threads tonight due to my previous criticism and the fact I have nothing new to say, However if he's unwilling to learn that his inability to chose someone to properly manage his club is becoming nothing short of legendary, and he's the last person who should receive a casting vote, then we really should all despair,

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

We didn't have a penny to spend on quality signings!!!! You are getting 1982-83 mixed up with 1980-1983 the period I quoted. During 1980-83 we purchased the Sweden number one goalkeeper who had played in the European Cup final just a handful of games earlier, one of the most expensive signings from a Scottish club, Tony Fitzpatrick from At Mitten, a Finnish international midfielder, made a 400 grand bid for Gerry Francis when the transfer record was about 500 grand and signed Mick Hartford for about five times more than any other club in our division could dream of outlaying.

As for the most expensive bench in our history, seeing that there were no subs at all until 1967 and then only one sub until the mid 1980s I think this is a rather dubious claim. For instance, I venture that in ten years from now even if only average players and youth teamers occupy our bench their value would exceed the value on the bench today.  

You mentioned the 3 relegations on a row and were basically saying how deflated we all were, but we stuck by the club because we were/are supporters. 

As far as I'm concerned you were talking about our 4th division days.

The signings you mention, Perty Jauntemann ( I know the spelling is wrong but it's 30 years since I thought of him!) the Fin, and Tony Fitzpatrick ( 250k) were definitely when we were in the 1st division, and actually doing well for in that league. 

Jan Moller came a season or two afterwards ( only because Bobby Houghton had him at Malmo) as did big Mick Hartford. 

The money spent on these players doesn't compare with spending 2-3 million on a striker whose played about an hour in 6 months, and ( possibly)  our record signing from Bournemouth in the summer, both of whom sat on the bench today. How can a Bristol City manager be allowed to spend that much money and then consider these players not good enough to fit into his system, it's beyond belief.

Regarding the money on today's  bench, we had approximately £8 million sat there, all LJ signings, not bad for a club who today equaled our worst ever run of defeats. 

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

You can go down if you want. Personally, I'm sick of watching City in the Third Division and having seen seven relegations, do not want another one before I die!

Is that clear enough fot you?

I was under the impression that being outside the relegation zone meant you weren't relegated.

Is that clear enough for you?

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I was under the impression that being outside the relegation zone meant you weren't relegated.

Shouldn't get too arrogant with that post - we might not be in the relegation zone but we are approaching that black hole at 100mph right now !!!!

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Haha, that's great. I love it when someone not bright enough to patronise does it anyway. In fairness it is clear, Point well made. 

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Shouldn't get too arrogant with that post - we might not be in the relegation zone but we are approaching that black hole at 100mph right now !!!!

What was arrogant about that? Other than financial reasons and serious rule breaking I can't think of any occasions a team outside the relegation zone was relegated, and I don't believe we have committed either of the above.

Our form right now is terrible, but as stated by many people over the weeks we are losing because of individual errors, not because we are being outplayed. We could very easily have won today's game 2-0- the guy who scored a brace shouldn't have been on the pitch and the second goal was a cumulation of players faffing around needlessly and gifting them the opportunity.

I firmly believe we will turn this around because the performances haven't been that bad- they haven't been great by any stretch, but they really haven't been that bad. People are letting their frustration at the results cloud that. Yes there are times where we are far too slow, times where we are too narrow or players don't make the runs they should, but what we have right now is an average Championship side, not a Champions League winning side. 

We have made what look to be 3 astute signings this month. It's early in their time here, but Djuric looked very good, Hegeler very good again and Wright looked assured other than one lapse.

Because of this things I believe we will turn this around under LJ, he is a young manager and learning, he will make mistakes too- he has done at times this season,  no-one will deny that, but he is in his 4th (5th?) season as a manager and has turned around 2 relegation battles before (albeit he didn't wasn't in charge when they became involved in the relegation fight) and if we win 2-3 in a row now and then settle into a more typical average sides form we won't be involved in one this year. If our form carries on as it is then we certainly will, but it's important to keep the old adage (or cliché) in mind "form is temporary". 

For me I think if we don't win any of the next 5 then perhaps LJ will have to go, but I'd still be in two minds. What is the point of building a project with a long term goal if you panic at the first time there's a struggle? 

11 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Haha, that's great. I love it when someone not bright enough to patronise does it anyway. In fairness it is clear, Point well made. 

Haha, that's great. I love it when someone who has never met you as knows nothing about you makes a comment on your intelligence as if they would have any idea whatsoever.

4 hours ago, handsofclay said:

And what was his father's stats at one point before he turned things around got us promoted from League One and then 90 mins away from the Premier League, worse than that?

I think this is what is keeping him in job. There is many positives in all of this and SL will know from experience if we stick with LJ eventually it will all come together. 

4 hours ago, MyRealName said:

My memory may be failing but it wasn't that bad was it?

Oh it was terrible. Far far worse than now. Do you see our current players fighting each other? Players on the piss and going to prison?

The football was totally shocking too.

3 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Fingers crossed. Though if we beat Fleetwood it will be delayed slightly 

When we go to Villa for our first visit there in years I'll be going there full of excitement and hoping little Bristol City can perform an upset against a huge club. 

I really don't think you should be a football supporter if you want your team to lose. 

11 minutes ago, pillred said:

go on be honest how confident are you we wont go down because at the moment its looking very likely

I'm fully confident we will stay up. No doubts at all.

Willing to have a bet with me? You donate £50 quid to a charity of my choice if we stay up and I'll donate £50 quid to a charity of your choice if we go down?

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Haha, that's great. I love it when someone who has never met you as knows nothing about you makes a comment on your intelligence as if they would have any idea whatsoever.

So long as you're happy, I'm happy. And you're quite right, I only have a rough idea, based on what you post.

Just now, reddoc said:

So long as you're happy, I'm happy. And you're quite right, I only have a rough idea, based on what you post.

So because I hold a different opinion to you on this subject, you decide you have the right to try and make a thinly veiled insult suggesting I have low intelligence?

So much for respecting fellow fans...

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Lottery numbers for the next 3 weeks please.

Nope the lottery is random, our form is not.

It's pretty basic, check the odds for three lottery wins vs us losing yet another 3 games.

Can't deal with people that can't even cope with basic logic.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

So because I hold a different opinion to you on this subject, you decide you have the right to try and make a thinly veiled insult suggesting I have low intelligence?

So much for respecting fellow fans...

Nope it's not that. You're entitled to your views, you may even end up being able to say I told you so. Just not a fan of patronising as a means of debate, As for respecting fellow fans, that's an entirely different thread. Used to think we were all in it together, but that was days gone by. You go away and you recognise that's not the case any more. Shame.

Joining the party late with this one. Can't believe the OP got that many likes. Also can't believe some people still can't distinguish between support for the team and offering opinions and raising very valid concerns on a forum.

"Get behind the lads" rallying cries do not hide the cold hard facts that our form is simply unacceptable given the squad at our disposal.

5 hours ago, handsofclay said:

We have been in every match. We have not been on the end of any whippings. I can recall many a match under different regimes where the opposition have looked like they have been on a different planet to us and handed out a humiliating beating. That has not happened under L J. We have lost by the odd goal every time...Therefore we have been competitive.

Call yourself supporters! Yeah, we will support you Bristol City ever more...As long as you don't lose close games. If you lose a few close games on the trot then we will put the knife in, vilify our players and castigate our manager. We will put forward the names of managers we would prefer to the present incumbent...Including ffs Daryl Clarke!!!!

Jesus wept, what are you spoiled brats or genuine SUPPORTERS. Get behind the lads. If your brother needed support would you say that you would give it but only if he was successful and provided you with great times but if he was really suffering despite trying you would put the boot in. That is not support.

I have heard from several who say that they avoid this forum after a defeat because they hate the negativity and scorn that is then displayed here. A century ago our nation's young men were giving their lives in the trenches. They had backbone. Look that word up if it is, as I suspect, alien to you. Get with it, children. Jesus, had Alan Dicks been judged by the majority on here he wouldn't have survived the end of the 1960s let alone reached the glory of 1976. He would have been replaced by Don Megson!

We have a great manager in the making and a great team. All they ask from us at the moment is our SUPPORT. 

whether we lose one nill or two one we still lose Divvy

3 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Nope it's not that. You're entitled to your views, you may even end up being able to say I told you so. Just not a fan of patronising as a means of debate, As for respecting fellow fans, that's an entirely different thread. Used to think we were all in it together, but that was days gone by. You go away and you recognise that's not the case any more. Shame.

But the patronising post going the other way is perfectly fine because it said something you agree with?

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Joining the party late with this one. Can't believe the OP got that many likes. Also can't believe some people still can't distinguish between support for the team and offering opinions and raising very valid concerns on a forum.

"Get behind the lads" rallying cries do not hide the cold hard facts that our form is simply unacceptable given the squad at our disposal.

Apparently to be a 'true' supporter you happily accept the dross and underachievement that even the millions pumped in haven't helped.  You also can't question the board due to having a new stadium (which is where the only value is and isn't ours).

Us old guys questioning the project are obviously fly by nights that are pure glory supporters after our terrific rise from Div 3 and another tinpot cup.

its a ******* joke 

22 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

What was arrogant about that?

22 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

' I was under the impression that being outside the relegation zone meant you weren't relegated.

Is that clear enough for you'

Arrogant was probably the incorrect description 

Sarcastic , condescending or just rude would have been better !

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

But the patronising post going the other way is perfectly fine because it said something you agree with?

Dog with a bone. I'll check my definitions, but didn't see it that way. However let's not clog up the forum with a fairly uninteresting little disagreement, welcome to pm me if you want to continue.

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Apparently to be a 'true' supporter you happily accept the dross and underachievement that even the millions pumped in haven't helped.  You also can't question the board due to having a new stadium (which is where the only value is and isn't ours).

Us old guys questioning the project are obviously fly by nights that are pure glory supporters after our terrific rise from Div 3 and another tinpot cup.

its a ******* joke 

yes another 30 years supporting city then lets see if they still think the same

11 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Nope the lottery is random, our form is not.

It's pretty basic, check the odds for three lottery wins vs us losing yet another 3 games.

Can't deal with people that can't even cope with basic logic.

If you can't deal with yourself then I won't bother. 

The logic you used was wrong.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Arrogant was probably the incorrect description 

Sarcastic , condescending or just rude would have been better !

As was the post it was in response to.

Never mind that though.

Archived