IGNORED

Fielding

Shuffle

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

To be fair, most people were happy with ROD at the start of the season and his good performances last season since joining.  I don't disagree that both keepers aren't good enough for a promotion chasing team, but I didn't expect us to be that.

Frankie was never good enough for this level. ROD started well but then got found out, i thought he was the answer. We have failed to address the keeper situation like a lot of other positions in the team

19 minutes ago, shelts said:

Frankie was never good enough for this level. ROD started well but then got found out, i thought he was the answer. We have failed to address the keeper situation like a lot of other positions in the team

I thought it at the time, but one of the things I take issue with LJ about is his tendency to have a go at players publically.  I am thinking of what he said about ROD after the Sheffield Wed game.

Yes, he had a stinker. He had done ok up to that point, and I remember thinking sometimes it is better to put your arms around a player rather than have a go. Not the only time he has publically bashed players. Football being what it is, you never know when you will need them again. 

ROD and Fielding are both in the Championship back up keeper level for me, and an area that has needed addressing for some time, can have good games, but have faults.

Have a go publically at the whole team if you must, rarely, but would keep any one to one criticism if needed for behind closed doors.

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

He has the twitch muscle of a slug...He has no 'spring' or 'jump'...very laboured. He struggled to punch the ball off someone's head yesterday...they could actually get their head as high as his fist....very poor at this level. When diving....watch his legs and feet....it's almost like he falls to the side to dive, rather than 'spring'. So many points lost this season through poor goalkeeping.

His positives....good reactions and close range shot stopper....other than that...

No, no spud. When Frankie's diving, cover your eyes and hope and pray you do not hear the away end erupt......

13 hours ago, pnefcok said:

So important having a good keeper. Probably just as important as having a prolific striker. Can win you 10+ points per season.

Totally agree and also a good keeper gives the defence confidence, we don't have that, the defence is always having to cover for Frankie's inadequacy

Did anyone notice when we came out for second half, Frankie went to his goal line whilst the rest of the team warmed up on the touchline. The subs were still out there kicking about and there was a ball about 2 yards away from Frankie. The sub asked him to kick it back to him but Frankie just stood stock still and said no. It was almost as if he was in a trance or not allowed to leave his 6 yard box, which of course he never did second half!

5 minutes ago, marmite said:

Did anyone notice when we came out for second half, Frankie went to his goal line whilst the rest of the team warmed up on the touchline. The subs were still out there kicking about and there was a ball about 2 yards away from Frankie. The sub asked him to kick it back to him but Frankie just stood stock still and said no. It was almost as if he was in a trance or not allowed to leave his 6 yard box, which of course he never did second half!

Could it be he was nursing the injury he's had lately? It was only a last minute decision that he played, I don't think he was fully fit.

Great character, great bloke and great shot stopper. But there's more to it than that. Crosses, corners, need to be dealt with. That second yesterday was headed in from 5 yards. By a bloke 4ft tall. WTFs that all about ? 

We need better.

Goalkeeping is the one area I feel desperately needs improving during this window. 

When Lucic had a turn between the sticks he terrified me, and I don't think he's had enough experience playing in this country to take over yet.

Loan him out for the rest of the season and bring in the #2 man from a PL club. It'll be worth the outlay in terms of points saved.

Too many of the long range shots Fielding gets beaten by aren't even going in by the post. If a shot is hit a couple of yards inside the post from distance a pro keeper should be saving it. As good a strike as it was I thought the Cardiff winner should have been saved and probably two of Reading's goals the other week. Add in the fact he never comes for s cross into the mix and it's pretty obvious he needs replacing.

I think a moment in the first half epitomised fielding when a great big up and under into the box caused me to hold my breath. Clearly the keepers ball but you could almost see the fear in Flints eyes as Frank looked very uncomfortable. Think it was foul or offside in the end but the defence don't feel comfortable with Frank on crosses

Just now, Lucan said:

James pulled off some fantastic saves, I think he just wasn't as good as we hoped

i can't ever remember being wowed by FF

Even at his worst, I think he'd have saved the tame shot that James let bounce off his chest.

Anyway, it's academic. We need a new, experienced keeper. 

Archived