IGNORED

Assuming that Lee Johnson is staying...

The Dolman Pragmatist

1. Employ a midfield and keep the ball on the ground.

2, Do not try and hold on to a slim lead - always play as if its nil-nil. We are crap at this!

3. Add continuity to the team selection to allow knowledge and trust to develop amongst the players.

4. Concentrate on the defence... There's no point scoring if you condede more that you score....defences win leagues not strikers.

5. Stop playing so deep when under pressure. It invites pressure and we always concede in the closing stages of a game (sometimes more than once)

6. Stop giving us sound bites....we want results...not reasons why its not working.....if you known adjust, train the players and rectify the issue.

7. Train as a Team...play as a team....win as a team

T - Together

E - Everyone 

A - Achieves

M- More

Melksred out

Needs to swallow his pride and put O'Neil back in the side. Go 4-4-2 and pick a settled and relatively experienced side. Everyone has their own opinion as to the best side bit for me it's 

gk - hopeful new loan signing

rb - Matthews once fit

cb - wright

cb - flint

lb - magnuson

rw - freeman

cm - hegeler

Cm - O'Neil 

lw - tomlin

cf - abraham

cf - Andy carol look alike

not perfect and think right back is a problem position. But for me that's the best side we currently have. We need a settled side.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What needs to be done to turn this situation around?  Serious views only.  Negative comments about the manager not allowed...

Ask yourself this, why is it at the business end of games do we capitulate on a regular basis, how many of those teams have we played recently are actually better than us, why is it that after our changes we appear to get worse when the opposition improve after theirs.

The teams we have played in this dreadful run have pretty much been around us, so at least our equal, what is the chances of losing pretty much all of them? It is not an unlucky spell we have had, pretty much injury free and we have been lucky enough to have been gifted a young goalscoring striker. Is he motivating the players, yesterday we played a team that were every bit in this rut and we were miles ahead of them on points, they fipped the coin and now they are above us. We've spent big in the market on areas set out by our head coach and back room team, you throw all that into the hat and draw out the answer.

99 times out of 100 you should draw out of the hat the name of the head coach, as unpleasant as it is because he is a nice bloke, changing him now is the right thing to do.

Dear Lee, two years ago you made a PowerPoint which amongst other things mentioned POMO. Please try to put the ball in POMO as much as possible and see what happens, because at the moment Mark Little appears to be the only player trying to do that, and with no disrespect to him, as limited a player as he is, I've reached the conclusion that he's only doing it because he's too stupid to conform to whatever the hell it is you've got everyone else doing.

Pick a widely used formation (442 or 352; I don't care) that all our players, old and new and young and old, will have solid familiarity in playing/training in, and fill with the bench filled with personnel that support it, and who's introduction doesn't necessitate a tactical switch every time (for example; no one to replace a tiring wing back, or out-of-running midfield anchor).

I am all for having a squad able to bend and flex tactically during matches when needed, and lord knows I don't want us to revert to the end of SC's time here, when the system became a straight jacket that contributed to our bad form.  But right now we're so unpredictable it seems even our players are boozeled half the time.

Being able to shift formations is all well and good, but isn't something you should be training into a young team or one with several new recruits in the middle of the season; set up something that allows the players to express themselves and influence games now, then get more complex in the summer.   

Find a settled 11 and stick with it (injuries permitting)

Sign a goalkeeper the defence feels confident playing with - hopefully the new German one will be that man

Utilise Tomlin in his best position - he's a great talent and it's wasteful to have him on the bench. Ok, he's volatile and it sounds like he's behaved badly. LJ needs to repair that relationship and get him at his best again. At his best, there are few better in this league than Tomlin to what he does. (Likewise with O'Neil, we need experience and leaders. If they've fallen out, they need to repair it)

Play with width - in my opinion we'd be far more dangerous stretching the opposition and getting balls into Tammy and Djuric. We saw Djuric's ability in the air and holding the ball up yesterday - make the most of it.

Improve set pieces - our set pieces are by and large pathetic. We've probably got one of the tallest teams in the league now and it's criminal if we continue not to use it. They're worth so many points a season if done correctly.

Post match LJ did say that he thought there seems to be a "fear factor" when in a winning position that develops in the last few mins of the game.

Passes start to go astray the usual fluidity Is lost....

Obviously opposition teams wil be aware of that vulnerability and increase their game to take advantage of it.

I don't think it's lack of fitness,  tactics or formations that are the cause. It's more of a psychological problem within the core of the team.

How does LJ get over that?  :dunno:

I don't know if the club employ a sports psychologist but a person with such skills could be a useful tool in overcoming the "fear factor"

10 minutes ago, Olé said:

Dear Lee, two years ago you made a PowerPoint which amongst other things mentioned POMO. Please try to put the ball in POMO as much as possible and see what happens, because at the moment Mark Little appears to be the only player trying to do that, and with no disrespect to him, as limited a player as he is, I've reached the conclusion that he's only doing it because he's too stupid to conform to whatever the hell it is you've got everyone else doing.

Thing is, to utilise POMO well people need to know their jobs inside out, and what you point out with Little (and mentioned perhaps is similar with Brownhill previously) I think shows that players are being asked to essentially overthink their role due to being played out of ideal position (a la O'Dowda yesterday, and many others this season), while those maybe not able to 'get' the complexity of this simply go on 'instinct' and hence look more effective.

Little is an aggressive, attacking wingback, who is familiar with 352 and experienced playing in it with a focus on getting forward, thanks to the cover provided midfielders like Smith and Pack, filling in when he heads forward.

The lack of defensive cover for him from the midfield currently, due to us not having a cohesive unit there means for all his buccaneering runs and energy exerted trying to get forward, he's woefully exposed going backwards more often than not.

He is limited, but could easily be effective at this level if the rest of the team were as aware of what was needed in their own roles as he is; instead, the midfield next to him is Brownhill (who seems to be trying to play centre mid on his own), Pack and a rotating roster of Tomlin, Om'Dowda/whoever, no combination of which can seemingly find a balance.  Plus you have a defensive midfielder playing right sided centre back behind, making things all the more confusing.

None of these players can maximise their opportunities to impact a game if they've little understanding of what their role is.  It's a mess.

Play your most experienced and resilient players in the positions that they feel most confident occupying. Resilience is the key.

Looks to me that the players with the greatest self-belief and the talent to thrive at this level are: Wright (immense yesterday), Hegeler, Magnusson, Scott G, Tomlin, GO'N, Tammy...maybe Djuric. There's the spine of a Championship team there. Lacking width and a keeper. For me O'Donnell inspires far more confidence than Frankie. Joe Bryan has all the confidence in the world, but needs channelling, Little is a warrior but never recovered from that injury. Josh Brownhill has promise, Pack tries hard. Many of the others simply too fragile...the prime example being Flint...great in a confident team,but this season has appeared to crumple in despair in times of crisis.

Build the team around your strongest and most reliable - probably most arrogant - players. Of course, to do that you have to be able to manage and lead such personalities...

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Sorry OP, if we are assuming LJ is staying... then we are NOT going to turn this around, we are going to be relegated.

I don't think that was the point of this thread though, it was designed to be more productive than that and discuss what LJ could do to try and improve things.

Interestingly, people seem to be saying the same things by and large. It seems people want us to play with more organisation, to our strengths and with a settled team. If that means we have to go a bit more direct for a while then so be it, it's not like we're playing great football now anyway. We need results.

44 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Follow the sound principle that the first priority is to be hard to beat, something LJ seems not to have grasped when the likes of Grayson and Monk have focused on that first.

Mind you that needs us to bring in 2 new full backs quickly.

Golbourne is good enough but LJ doesn't seem to like him. Probably because he's defensively sound.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interestingly, people seem to be saying the same things by and large. It seems people want us to play with more organisation, to our strengths and with a settled team. If that means we have to go a bit more direct for a while then so be it, it's not like we're playing great football now anyway. We need results.

I posted earlier that I don't think it's necessarily the formation, selection and tactics.

City have been in every game but seem to bottle it in the last 10 mins or so. There's definitely a mental block that develops amongst the core of the team. 

Thats not down to organisation or a settled team. 

Thats said I don't understand why LJ brings on Father Wilbraham with GoN sat on the bench.

The way to win or even get a point is to play the same team at least twice in a row, there isnt a magic formula just knowing where people are will help, Heggler against Fleetwood was playing balls into Tomlin and he was trying things yet against Cardiff O'Dowda wasnt anywhere to be seen. Wana mention that Duric played well as wel and although 2 good strikes he also had 2 assists and another game he has had there was positives.

Fielding

Wright Flint Magnusson

Brownhill Heggler Pack Bryan

Tomlin

Tammy Duric

no messing about play against Fleetwood and Forest.

Dont retract too far. Ensure the midfield is marking their midfield and get close to opposition players to ensure that the opposition ball player doesn't have time to get his head up, move the ball where he wants it and pick a perfect pass without any pressure.

1 hour ago, city1983 said:

Needs to swallow his pride and put O'Neil back in the side. Go 4-4-2 and pick a settled and relatively experienced side. Everyone has their own opinion as to the best side bit for me it's 

gk - hopeful new loan signing

rb - Matthews once fit

cb - wright

cb - flint

lb - magnuson

rw - freeman

cm - hegeler

Cm - O'Neil 

lw - tomlin

cf - abraham

cf - Andy carol look alike

not perfect and think right back is a problem position. But for me that's the best side we currently have. We need a settled side.

I agree but tomlin not on left maybe o dowda on left and tomlin in the middle or play one upfront and play tomlin in the hole

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Post match LJ did say that he thought there seems to be a "fear factor" when in a winning position that develops in the last few mins of the game.

Passes start to go astray the usual fluidity Is lost....

Obviously opposition teams wil be aware of that vulnerability and increase their game to take advantage of it.

I don't think it's lack of fitness,  tactics or formations that are the cause. It's more of a psychological problem within the core of the team.

How does LJ get over that?  :dunno:

I don't know if the club employ a sports psychologist but a person with such skills could be a useful tool in overcoming the "fear factor"

The alternative view is that lack of fitness leads to tiredness which leads to loss of concentration which leads to mistakes.

21 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Golbourne is good enough but LJ doesn't seem to like him. Probably because he's defensively sound.

this is how i see it. all of our good players are getting worse because Lee Johnson wont let them do what they do best.

get him gone and pronto, Pembo knows how to use his chargers properly

Archived