IGNORED

I've slept on it...

brizzlelou

I disagree, any half-decent 'head coach' would have been able to have kept this squad at least comfortable mid-table. Whilst genuine better players would always be welcome (and the signs look good with the latest recruits) what we need most of all is a better manager!

oops this was supposed to be a reply to BristolCitySweden !

3 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

Johnson's failure is inevitable.... he is plucked from a midtable side in League 1 and asked to manage in the Championship, in which he has no experience. He is way out of his depth and our run at the end of last season owed much to a tightening of the formation and some very good January deals. I think most of this was done before he jetted in. I know that SC was already after Tomlin.  Yes, LJ takes the credit for that revival...but I think we are now seeing the real LJ and he is not getting the best out of a very talented squad on paper. I cannot recall a team of this calibre - at least on paper. I have seen all home games and most away this season and LJ has changed the team on a game by game basis. We have changed the formation so frequently that he has obviously been trying them out on Football Manager. The guy is clueless and I cannot understand why the so called "football people" above cannot see it. You live or die by your selections and he has made some truly awful decisions:

1. Playing Adam Matthews at CB when we have the English Youth Captain in the stands doing commentary!

2. Playing Calum O'Dowda as the number 10 when we have Tomlin, Reid and Paterson twiddling their thumbs.....

3. Not playing Engvall ( yes, 2.5 million Engvall)

I could go on but it becomes too depressing.....I think LJ has lost the players. More of a fight was put up by SC's team who were vastly inferior to the current crop. If only SC had been given 15 million to spend.....We had 8 million quid sitting on the bench yesterday.... enough is enough of this joker.  

We needed an experienced manager not rookies. The board fail time and time again. Their DNA is going to be extinct pretty soon and back to League One we go..... If you ask me some of the names being thrown around are no better than LJ. I think we would need candidates of the following calibre:

1. Mick McCarthy (has a great record and is doing wonders at a bang average team with no money or resources. What could he do with our lot I wonder). He also has Terry Connor who knows the club. Ipswich fans should be grateful to have him. He is a class and proven manager at this level).

2. Mark Wharburton (done a great job at Brentford and Rangers... surely would jump at the chance to come back to English football).

3. Chris Coleman (he was at the Gate yesterday and I sat next to him! Done a good job with Fulham and Wales. Has experience of the Premier League).

4. Michael O'Neill (Great job with Northern Ireland and use to working in lower leagues. Has champions league experience in Ireland).

5. Roy Hodgson (No doubting his pedigree. Could he be tempted back to City for one last hurrah - maybe).

The point is that these are the calibre of managers we should be after - not untested, inexperienced managers. OK, there may be some occasions where the untested manager comes off but we don't exactly have a track record of finding them... do we? Any of these would be an improvement on LJ. I suspect all would work within our current structure..... I personally would go for Mick as the Ipswich fans want him out and we may offer him the carrot and better opportunities for another crack at the PL

15 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Are you still asleep and dreaming?  None of those would come here. Not one.

This is the problem. We keep asking for an experienced Championship manager/coach who knows what its all about but as soon as anyone mentions a well known and well respected name, out comes the old drivel about them not coming to us because we are little old Bristol City. The young up and coming names find the job too tough so lets go and get the big name for once and stop putting ourselves down. We are signing better players so lets have a better manager to go with them.

1 minute ago, marmite said:

This is the problem. We keep asking for an experienced Championship manager/coach who knows what its all about but as soon as anyone mentions a well known and well respected name, out comes the old drivel about them not coming to us because we are little old Bristol City. The young up and coming names find the job too tough so lets go and get the big name for once and stop putting ourselves down. We are signing better players so lets have a better manager to go with them.

Drivel?  Oh yeah I can picture Mark Warburton thinking do I really want European football in front of 50,000 fervent fans or should I realise my dreams down at Ashton Gate.

It's an embarrassing post.  That's your 'drivel' my friend.

3 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Drivel?  Oh yeah I can picture Mark Warburton thinking do I really want European football in front of 50,000 fervent fans or should I realise my dreams down at Ashton Gate.

It's an embarrassing post.  That's your 'drivel' my friend.

You are entitled to your view and I respect that although I wasn't referring to the actual names listed, merely suggesting we should aim higher. Who is your choice or would you stick with LJ

9 minutes ago, marmite said:

You are entitled to your view and I respect that although I wasn't referring to the actual names listed, merely suggesting we should aim higher. Who is your choice or would you stick with LJ

I'm sticking with LJ.  I'll think about a new manager if there's a vacancy.  One thing is for sure, those suggestions were embarrassing.

49 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Are you still asleep and dreaming?  None of those would come here. Not one.

Don't be so sure...have they rejected us.... but the point I am trying to make is that if you put in inexperienced people you cannot be surprised with how it pans out... Millen - fail. McInnes - fail. O'driscoll - fail. Johnson - failing

7 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Don't be so sure...have they rejected us.... but the point I am trying to make is that if you put in inexperienced people you cannot be surprised with how it pans out... Millen - fail. McInnes - fail. O'driscoll - fail. Johnson - failing

Perhaps indicates the problems are elsewhere in the club.  Different manager, same outcome. 

19 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

I'm sticking with LJ.  I'll think about a new manager if there's a vacancy.  One thing is for sure, those suggestions were embarrassing.

Point taken...but in 5 years we will be in Europa league according to LJ - that is drivel and is really embarrassing. We will more likely be playing Colchester.....

23 hours ago, downendcity said:

Ive slept on it and as a result it is very sore this morning.

Ive slept on it again and as a result it's stiff this morning.

Mrs Downend say that at least something good has come out of the club's current predicament :shocking:

Archived