IGNORED

Dublin advice wanted

Big Red Rich

So 4 of us (2 couples) are heading to Dublin in early March.

We're looking for an authentic Irish experience without breaking the bank so hoping there would be a few in the know here that would know some of the hidden places off the beaten track that wouldn't be a hive of tourist activity and the inevitable price increase. 

What is the average price of the black stuff over there these days? 8€? 

It's not really my 'neck of the woods' but I'll give it a go. As far as pubs go, if you want to avoid the tourists then avoiding Temple Bar is a must, the pints are dearer there as well. I'd say I was paying around 5-6 euro a pint in the non-touristy pubs when I last went in April 2015 but guess it'll be more now. Some of my favourite pubs are:

Mulligans on Poolbeg St, the best Guinness I've had in Dublin, not that I can say I've been to all the pubs.

Conways on Parnell St (there's also a Children of Lir statue on nearby Parnell Square) but I'm not sure if this is still open. It was closed last time I was there.

O'Shea's and The Brazen Head in Merchant's Quay, the latter claims to be the oldest pub in Dublin (along with about 12 others) and is a bit more touristy but they have decent food and live music every night. Also a nice pub for a sunny day (you never know) as they have a courtyard set back from the main road.

Toners on Baggot St is famous for having the Yeats snug. Great boozer with a huge area out the back for nice days.

The Palace Bar on Fleet St is right next to Temple Bar and is worth visiting for the beer and the interior.

O'Donogues on Merrion Row is famous for the Dubliners.

Madigans on O'Connell St has always been a good food pub whenever I've been.

Bruxelles on Harry St has good lunches. Ditto O'Neill's on Suffolk St.

Bewley's is a cafe on Grafton St that does good full Irish breakfasts, teas and coffees (and booze) though you'll find that many of the pubs above do breakfast as well.

Then there's The Cobblestone pub on King Street which has traditional music sessions most nights till late. I'd massively recommend this if you want to take in some music.

These are a bit all over the place, and as I said my last visit was 2015 so it'd be worth googling them if interested.

If you're interested in history then I'd recommend Kilmainham Gaol, it's a great introduction to 20th century Irish history and an interesting tour. I thought it was far better than the 1916 exhibition at the National History Museum in Collins barracks. St Michan's Church is quite interesting. They used to do tours into one of their crypts which houses many dead bodies including a mummified veteran of one of the crusades, whose finger you're encouraged to touch for luck. When I went (maybe ten years ago) the show was being ran by a Dubliner who was a Blackburn fan for some reason so we had a good laugh. Also some of the big players from the 1798 rebellion are there, though you're not allowed to touch them. 

http://kilmainhamgaolmuseum.ie/

The National Library also has a great WB Yeats exhibition. There's the Book of Kells in Trinity and it's worth going into the GPO on O'Connell Street. Of course there's the Guinness Factory and Jameson's distillery as well. You can also go on the Croke Park tour, that's a seriously impressive stadium. There's Leopardstown if you're into horse racing. Harolds Cross and Shelbourne Park are the two biggest dog tracks if you're more into that.

I usually go there to drink, see new exhibitions, buy books (in Hodges Figgis on Dawson St) and drink so that's pretty much the limit of my experience I'm afraid.

My advice would be, don't stay at a Jury's Inn - they're shite. 

Otherwise,  do as much of what @MichaelRobartes recommends as possible! 

Oh, one more thing. By most standards Dublin is a very small capital city. You'll get a good idea of the orientation by taking one of those open-top tourist bus tours. They are a lot cheaper and funnier than the London equivalents. 

That's funny @Red-Robbo, I stayed in two different Jury's the last two times I went and both were fine. It was somewhat against my better judgement as others I know have had bad experiences but I couldn't fault them. 

57 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Can also recommend taking in some Gaelic football and if you are around and a 6 nations game is on, get to a bar and get involved. The Irish and sports are a match made in heaven. (except all Munster fans)

Haha! A truly dreadful bunch alright :thumbsup:

Good shout on the GAA front. You can see if the Dubs are at home (if you want to watch a bunch of cheats) on your weekend here, there's hurling info on the GAA website too. If either team are playing at Páirc an Chrócaigh (Croke Park) and you don't want to go then obviously don't plan on doing the stadium tour that day:
http://www.gaa.ie/football/football-league-roinn-1/

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

My advice would be, don't stay at a Jury's Inn - they're shite. 

Otherwise,  do as much of what @MichaelRobartes recommends as possible! 

Oh, one more thing. By most standards Dublin is a very small capital city. You'll get a good idea of the orientation by taking one of those open-top tourist bus tours. They are a lot cheaper and funnier than the London equivalents. 

Can't comment on the Dublin Jury's but the Jury's in Galway is excellent

On 15/01/2017 at 10:30, Big Red Rich said:

So 4 of us (2 couples) are heading to Dublin in early March.

We're looking for an authentic Irish experience without breaking the bank so hoping there would be a few in the know here that would know some of the hidden places off the beaten track that wouldn't be a hive of tourist activity and the inevitable price increase. 

What is the average price of the black stuff over there these days? 8€? 

My advice is that as soon as you get to Dublin head for Heuston train station and go across to Galway, you win'f regret it, you might even bump into Greg Cunningham !!

There are three in Dublin I believe. One "lost" our reservation and at another one I had a theft from my hotel room for the only time in many years of travelling extensively.

My wallet disappeared during breakfast while the room was being cleaned. Jury's, despite it either being done by their staff or thanks to the staff's incompetence - there were meant to be security doors to the bedroom areas closed at all times - didn't want to know. We called the Gards and got what I can only describe as a Father Ted style duo turn up to have a chat about their city and do absolutely nothing.

I've boycotted the Jury's chain ever since.

On 1/15/2017 at 16:09, MichaelRobartes said:

It's not really my 'neck of the woods' but I'll give it a go. As far as pubs go, if you want to avoid the tourists then avoiding Temple Bar is a must, the pints are dearer there as well. I'd say I was paying around 5-6 euro a pint in the non-touristy pubs when I last went in April 2015 but guess it'll be more now. Some of my favourite pubs are:

Mulligans on Poolbeg St, the best Guinness I've had in Dublin, not that I can say I've been to all the pubs.

Conways on Parnell St (there's also a Children of Lir statue on nearby Parnell Square) but I'm not sure if this is still open. It was closed last time I was there.

O'Shea's and The Brazen Head in Merchant's Quay, the latter claims to be the oldest pub in Dublin (along with about 12 others) and is a bit more touristy but they have decent food and live music every night. Also a nice pub for a sunny day (you never know) as they have a courtyard set back from the main road.

Toners on Baggot St is famous for having the Yeats snug. Great boozer with a huge area out the back for nice days.

The Palace Bar on Fleet St is right next to Temple Bar and is worth visiting for the beer and the interior.

O'Donogues on Merrion Row is famous for the Dubliners.

Madigans on O'Connell St has always been a good food pub whenever I've been.

Bruxelles on Harry St has good lunches. Ditto O'Neill's on Suffolk St.

Bewley's is a cafe on Grafton St that does good full Irish breakfasts, teas and coffees (and booze) though you'll find that many of the pubs above do breakfast as well.

Then there's The Cobblestone pub on King Street which has traditional music sessions most nights till late. I'd massively recommend this if you want to take in some music.

These are a bit all over the place, and as I said my last visit was 2015 so it'd be worth googling them if interested.

If you're interested in history then I'd recommend Kilmainham Gaol, it's a great introduction to 20th century Irish history and an interesting tour. I thought it was far better than the 1916 exhibition at the National History Museum in Collins barracks. St Michan's Church is quite interesting. They used to do tours into one of their crypts which houses many dead bodies including a mummified veteran of one of the crusades, whose finger you're encouraged to touch for luck. When I went (maybe ten years ago) the show was being ran by a Dubliner who was a Blackburn fan for some reason so we had a good laugh. Also some of the big players from the 1798 rebellion are there, though you're not allowed to touch them. 

http://kilmainhamgaolmuseum.ie/

The National Library also has a great WB Yeats exhibition. There's the Book of Kells in Trinity and it's worth going into the GPO on O'Connell Street. Of course there's the Guinness Factory and Jameson's distillery as well. You can also go on the Croke Park tour, that's a seriously impressive stadium. There's Leopardstown if you're into horse racing. Harolds Cross and Shelbourne Park are the two biggest dog tracks if you're more into that.

I usually go there to drink, see new exhibitions, buy books (in Hodges Figgis on Dawson St) and drink so that's pretty much the limit of my experience I'm afraid.

I have been in Mulligans several times and agree the Guinness is stellar.

For the cinema geeks, Kilmainham Gaol has been used for various films, including The Italian Job.

3 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I have been in Mulligans several times and agree the Guinness is stellar.

For the cinema geeks, Kilmainham Gaol has been used for various films, including The Italian Job.

You need to get a ticket in advance if you go to a Kilmainham, my sister turned up at the door yesterday and was refused, going into the courtyard in Kilmainham is one of the most emotional things I've ever experienced and a must for anyone with any interest in Irish history 

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

You need to get a ticket in advance if you go to a Kilmainham, my sister turned up at the door yesterday and was refused, going into the courtyard in Kilmainham is one of the most emotional things I've ever experienced and a must for anyone with any interest in Irish history 

Thanks for that, harrys, that wasn't the case when I was last there. We knew what times the tours were so turned up early to buy tickets. A little later there was a huge queue so I'm not surprised they've changed that. I've been twice but they were maybe 15 years apart. I would definitely describe it as a must as well

18 hours ago, harrys said:

The Old Stand on Exchequer Street is one of the best central pubs, 

Yes a good pub is that as is The Mercantile.

Steer clear of The Long Hall, The George & The Front Lounge if you don't want to be chatted up by some bloke. :handbags:

A night at the dogs in Harolds Cross is good craic with 2 good boozers namely Peggy Kellys & Inn on the Park right next door.

Archived