IGNORED

The Blackbird song - please ban it

tinman85

The Blackbird Song for a loss and Drink Up Thee Zider for a win have been played from when we were in the Old First Division Days. It continues to this day. 

In the 70's and 80's, the BBC would still have regarded bloody as a swear word, as in 'A bloody Gert queue'. BCFC could be championed as the anti-PC brigade! 

Whatever your views are on that song (and if like me you've been attending matches since the 70's so I know it really well) it has more than a novelty value attachment. Tradition can be good and in this case we are also unique in playing one of the two songs week in week out. No other stadium does. Name other grounds where you can hear The Liquidator, Hi Ho Silver Lining for instance? Even You'll Never Walk Alone is played at 2 grounds.

Carousel the Musical isn't one of my favourites. In fact I don't really like musicals and I've been dragged along to most of them in my life or had to endure the soundtracks. Why then is the showstopper from Carousel used as an anthem by both Liverpool and Celtic? Gerry and The Pacemakers (Walk Alone was a hit for them....from Carousel) would be the Liverpudlian equivalent of The Wurzels....well almost! Apart from the fact that one band was part of the British Invasion into the US pop charts in the 60's, both must have played Weston-Super-Mare Playhouse at sometime in their career ( I know Gerry and the Pacemakers have as I was there)! 

So change can be good as well. But just as supporting BCFC gives you an identity and a tribal type attitude, so does playing Drink Up Thee Zyder when we win. To hear it blasting through on City Player makes me feel proud and pleased......although I can't remember having those feelings currently. But that's the point. To enjoy the highs you have to endure the lows and get over them....ie 'Build a bridge' as Training Officers might say.

Blackbird might not have sold as many copies as Gezza's 7" inch single (B side to Combine Harvester- a shrewd, financial move as it got to No.1....think of the royalties). The lyrics might not be as poignant or psychologically uplifting but it's ours and we'll appreciate Drink Up Thee Zyder more next time it's played.....hopefully this season!

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Samuel Barber's Adagio for strings might work a little better. Or REM's "Everybody Hurts." Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush's "Don't Give Up" better still.

What about Radiohead's "You're Getting Sacked In The Swanky New Boardroom"? That's a cheery one

Adagio for Strings. On my Grim Reaper playlist. Along with John Lennon's Stand by Me.

Crescendo in Adagio. Light up the burners and close the curtains. I'm on my way in......

This reminds me of something from a previous thread (copied and pasted below) asking for so-called unpopular opinions, forgotten who posted the first sentence, my reply is in bold. I still stand by this opinion:-

"The whole "wurzel" culture surrounded around the club is cringe worthy and makes us look seriously inbred."

That is so very true.  If I were in charge of the match-day music I would destroy any Wurzels music in the ground and then have a total permanent ban and that would include Wurzel songs being sung by the yokels in the Atyeo (or any other stand).  We are meant to be a forward thinking and progressive City for God's sake, so why encourage something that, because a small vocal minority persists in peddling, reflects on all of us to make us seem intellectually challenged.

I know loads of City fans - friends/work colleagues/relatives/ just random people you bump into etc and I cannot imagine that they have any affection for this image, it is just wrong!

So why does the club choose to play this awful rubbish?:grr:

4 hours ago, tinman85 said:

It's a jinx of a song. Always leave the stadium feeling depressed after a late goal for the opposition. Then you hear that awful joke of a song which makes us a laughing stock. Please play something modern. We only want wurzels if we win! Drink up thy zider

Totally agree. I've come to loathe hearing it.

Better to depart in silence than have that bloody song ringing in our ears like a bloody taunt.

7 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It's more Tony Blair, I think :bones:

I was thinking dissent in the ranks, chopping and changing constantly, and a plummetting poll rating / league position, plus the idea amongst some supporters that if you stick with him long enough it's bound to come good. To say I remain extremely doubtful about both JC & LJ is putting it mildly!

5 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

The Blackbird Song for a loss and Drink Up Thee Zider for a win have been played from when we were in the Old First Division Days. It continues to this day. 

In the 70's and 80's, the BBC would still have regarded bloody as a swear word, as in 'A bloody Gert queue'. BCFC could be championed as the anti-PC brigade! 

Whatever your views are on that song (and if like me you've been attending matches since the 70's so I know it really well) it has more than a novelty value attachment. Tradition can be good and in this case we are also unique in playing one of the two songs week in week out. No other stadium does. Name other grounds where you can hear The Liquidator, Hi Ho Silver Lining for instance? Even You'll Never Walk Alone is played at 2 grounds.

I may have misunderstood what you were saying here, but...Wolves play Hi Ho Silver Lining. Or did.And, correct me if I'm wrong (or CMIIW or whatever w**k it is people write for a really short phrase that is needlessly reduced to a stupid and useless acronym), but didn't Wolves play The Liquidator, too? I've certainly heard it somewhere naff (the song's great, Wolverhampton is naff).

I don't go back to the 70s but the 80s. I must say 9and it may just be age) I didn't think they used to play Blackbird, or indeed anything, after the game. I may be totally wrong on that (or IMBTWOT).

But I'm with you all the way, Norn, about tradition and songs. we should be purely playing West Country stuff. Not to open up an old thread, but we really should be playing the likes of Pigbag, which they did for a while (pre-game), The Seers' Sun Is In The Sky (for a win), something by Rip, Rig & (don't) Panic (for a draw) and any of these by massive for a defeat: Teardrop, Be Thankful For What You've Got (a £48m stadium for starters), Inertia Creeps (etc etc, you get the 'joke').

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Right. I just thought there was a Bristol connection with him somewhere along the line. Pity that, Flashback Jack, Killer & Space Jungle would have sounded great blasting out.

Maybe we should have one by his mate, Seal:

Prayer For The Dying

"I may have misunderstood what you were saying here, but...Wolves play Hi Ho Silver Lining. Or did.And, correct me if I'm wrong"

Hi E.Surge, I wanted people to realise that other so called 'home songs' weren't unique. Maybe I wasn't articulate enough in my writing but you got my gist ie The Liquidator (Harry and his All Stars) is played elsewhere. The reason we played it was after the opening game of the season in the 90's away to Wolves.  The City players were impressed with the crowd reaction to that song when both teams were walking onto the pitch. So BCFC copied it. BCFC listened to the players and started to play it. It's not ours!

Jeff Beck's ditty can be heard at other clubs too.

No one else plays the Wurzels.  That's my point. Why can't we play a track that is "ours"? Massive Attack has a City fan. Play one of theirs even if it is at 78 rpm to make it happier!

Heck, a Portishead track could be used!

A few miles across town there is a team that apparently plays one of the most recorded Country and Western tracks of all time.  Despite its popularity, no one else plays it. I can't print the song's name  as I still suffer today. I remember having to walk back to the car from Trumpton and all that can be heard being sung is that song ad nauseum. We had lost the League title.

That team had a silly song but it was their song. That's what counts.  Liverpool has that song but they aren't alone.  Celtic has it too. We have the Wurzels.  No one else does and that's the point! We're unique!

BTW Stoke City could play Robbie (although technically he's a Vale fan), Motorhead or Guns and Roses because members of the bands came from that City.  However,  they're now associated with a song about murder! It wasn't sung by a Stokie either! 

We have the Wurzels.

Tractor Boys belong to Ipswich. Cider Boys belong to BCFC

Therefore, BCFC=Wurzels. ....which is like E=MC2....

I just wanted to bring this back again to repeat the request to @Tim S to please stop playing this bloody song every time we lose. That is, 4/5ths of every home game.

I'm sick of it. It's making me hate The Wurzels, and having to troop out hearing the cheery, chirpy Pete Budd going on about trying to kill a blackbird, just makes me want to kill myself.

Silence please. Or some soothing classical music, perhaps.

Just not a comedy number.

Things have gone beyond a joke. :noexp:

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I just wanted to bring this back again to repeat the request to @Tim S to please stop playing this bloody song every time we lose. That is, 4/5ths of every home game.

I'm sick of it. It's making me hate The Wurzels, and having to troop out hearing the cheery, chirpy Pete Budd going on about trying to kill a blackbird, just makes me want to kill myself.

Agree - adds insult to injury. I still remember the time they played 'always look on the bright side of life' after we were relegated :grr:

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

OUT of TIME - Chris Farlowe  :reaper:

Archived